devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3811620 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #9360 on: January 21, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »
I nerfed some negative max values which I overlooked due to their rareness, and raised initial maxes a bit just in case. If you'll still have the error, I will need archive with all your random chars jsons to track down the problem further, since they are most likely even more outdated than mine.

Great, I'll try it tonight.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9361 on: January 21, 2017, 12:37:05 PM »
The dungeon looks pretty cool. I especially like this part https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnm27u7ow30oxic/3.jpg?dl=0 with an item in the wall. It's a great way to put items in location instead of chests.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9362 on: January 21, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »
Yeah... it looks amazing even thought it's a bit too dark. I've been fighting with Ren'Py in BR for most of the day, there seem to be a lot of bugs in transforms/screens :(
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9363 on: January 23, 2017, 08:50:44 AM »
I came to the conclusion that we shouldn't waste development time om making unique content for specific packs or characters - unless we'll have someone who wants to do only it and nothing else, or maybe much after the release.

Since we adhere to the principle of freely adding/removing packs and even characters, it's very unwise and costly to make something that may not even be in the game for many people. Instead we'll use multiple generic prehistory quests (which most likely will require updated GMs) which either will be selected randomly or specified in jsons.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9364 on: January 23, 2017, 08:59:17 AM »
What about Naruto/DOA quests? I'll be coding for PyTFall tonight, done some decent work on BR's GUI over the past few days. If there is something that needs to be taken care of, let me know. Otherwise I'll keep hacking SE.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9365 on: January 23, 2017, 09:22:28 AM »
DOA quest is a sketch. It requires working slave training to work as intended - that means post beta.

As for Naruto quest, it
1) heavily relies on matrix, which is not a bad thing, but it complicates the ability to make the quest removable, since matrix calls and menu should be optional even though they are integrated into location;
2) it does so because we don't have SE, using it was my intention from the beginning.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9366 on: January 23, 2017, 10:06:42 AM »
Speaking of quests, with minor tweaks we can use the old Nami quest. I do hope that putting
Code: [Select]
if "Nami" in chars: before all quest code is sufficient to make sure it won't cause ctd without her.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9367 on: January 23, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »
DOA quest is a sketch. It requires working slave training to work as intended - that means post beta.

As for Naruto quest, it
1) heavily relies on matrix, which is not a bad thing, but it complicates the ability to make the quest removable, since matrix calls and menu should be optional even though they are integrated into location;
2) it does so because we don't have SE, using it was my intention from the beginning.

Speaking of quests, with minor tweaks we can use the old Nami quest. I do hope that putting
if "Nami" in chars: before all quest code is sufficient to make sure it won't cause ctd without her.

Nami quest is far too basic but if you want to include it, you can:

1) Put the quest in her folder.
2) Add "Nami in chars" to whatever triggers her quest (usually an event).

Either one will do but both are possible if you want to be really thorough.

I am sure that we can setup Naruto quests, matrix and SE exactly like we want it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9368 on: January 23, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »
It becomes complicated from the moment when we need to add matrix button at village screen to actually run the matrix. It no longer can be kept inside a separate file inside naruto folder, it requires changes in the location rpy - while player may or may not have some characters from the pack, making possible fail-safe checks complicated.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9369 on: January 23, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »
I'll have to take a look at the setup, it should be easy to condition everything just right.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9370 on: January 23, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »
Well, simple "if "Nami" in chars" is not enough...
I attached simplified version of the rpy to this post. If I remove her data file from the game, the event is still active - and gives an error when eventually tries to access her sprite.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9371 on: January 23, 2017, 11:58:31 AM »
I told you not to do that... kinda surprised that parser accepted the code.

Try adding to trigger event:

simple_conditions=["'Nami' in chars"],
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9372 on: January 23, 2017, 12:08:56 PM »
Gonna clear new bugz instead, they are bugging me knowing that they're there :D
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9373 on: January 23, 2017, 12:09:46 PM »
Yes, since I didn't get any errors, I hoped it will be so simple in renpy to make a pluggable rpy.

Sadly, in this case register_quest("Treasure Seeker") line still will be executed no matter what.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9374 on: January 23, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »
Yes, since I didn't get any errors, I hoped it will be so simple in renpy to make a pluggable rpy.

Sadly, in this case register_quest("Treasure Seeker") line still will be executed no matter what.

- We can more the quest to Namis folder.
- We can add the quest only after the event has been executed (in the event label).

Other, worse option:
- We can make a special event that executes if Nami is in the chars and does nothing else but registering the quest.

We do not show Unstarted Quests outside of dev mode btw, so even if registered, player will never know about it, trigger event is more important.
Like what we're doing?