Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3807956 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #3930 on: October 29, 2014, 04:06:24 AM »
Well, even though Serawi is my favorite character there, players often describe her route as "nothing really happened". It lacks story twists compared to other routes.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #3931 on: October 30, 2014, 06:10:32 AM »
Pushed preliminary version of loot items. It broke the game though, so fix is needed.

I'll take a look when time permits, we'll prolly add loot items to gold (and maybe do away with gold after next release if that seems sensible).

Now, when our author and creator of game world run away i decide to use story from Kamidori Alchemy Meister (Serawi route suits perfectly) and Princess Waltz battle engine (because i don't know kamidori formulas) + some characters from that. And now i think how to seamless combine them. Battle engine almost complete, now i think about quest sustem realization.

I think that's a brilliant idea... I recall you wrote a decent VN in a week when storyline wasn't foggy. Too bad I know almost nothing about either game other than what I've read in the reviews.
Like what we're doing?

Offline MrKlaus

« Reply #3932 on: October 31, 2014, 01:17:51 PM »
 Wrote in pattern. Somehow packed and short.
From those descriptions, I think that Darkness and Light spells should also cost HP to cast. Spells from all elements, mid tier to high should have a chance to backfire or to hurt the caster and the target. The Neutral should be made to pay extra cast cost of higher level spells from different alignments.

Alignments rewrite:

FIRE: Wildest of the elements, depending on it wielders will, strength and skills. Varying from pleasant warm to source of unspeakable pain. All that just in glimpse of an eye. Used correctly can  scorch every obstacle to ash, leaving only burned ground behind.  In unskilled hands can be very dangerous to the person using it. This element have the upper hand against Air, but is countered by Water.

WATER:
Aside from being really destructive, this element reflects it wielders character the most from all others. If the person using it is calm and confident, the water is easy shaped into desired shape.  On other hand, unskilled and uneasy wielder will have hard time casting basic spells. Dominating Fire with ease, Water is relatively weak against Earth.

AIR:
The Air element relays on its omnipresent. Being fairly easy to use is the favorite by aspiring mages. On the other hand, to cause mayor damage with this element, the user have to be experienced in using it. In addition to the classical Air attacks, a part of this alignment are also thunder base spells. Being effective against Earth, Air is getting serious damage from Fire.

EARTH:
Is a really powerful element if used correctly. Lacks in speed and finesse overcompensates by bolstering force in offence and defense. Unfortunately, not seasoned users tend to lose balance, that is so important when using earth spells. Applying defensive layers not equally, leaving openings and small cracks. When attacking tending to overpower spells that sometimes backfire. The earth element have advantage versus Water but is weak against Air. 

LIGHT:
Not like the four basic elements that origin from mother nature, Light fuel itself from other source. Gaining it power from the user soul, it drains the wielder, leaving him exhausted. Weak minded and evil people will never be able to cast a single Light base spell. The outcome of such feed, probably would end in killing the person or at best case scenario leaving him near death. But like other elements ,Light have it counter element in form of Darkness.

DARKNESS:
Differing from the four elements that come from nature, Darkness is probably the most destructive force that anyone could align with. Tempting with easy to obtain force on the other hand is a cruel lover. Draining the user soul at every single cast, leaving a heavy toll on the wielders body and mind, but the power received in exchange is great and noticeable. The most common users are evil people and weak minded that look for quick gain of strength. But this tremendous force is somehow countered by Light.

NEUTRAL:
Not aligning with any element also can be profitable. Being a jack of all trades, the wielder can use any kind of element and isn’t penalized for being countered by certain element type. On the other hand, when being Neutral you can’t master the most powerful spells from the alignments. Also the medium level skills tend to be more difficult to handle and the cast cost goes up. 

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3933 on: November 01, 2014, 04:00:49 AM »
Alignments rewrite:

FIRE: Wildest of the elements, depending on it wielders will, strength and skills. Varying from pleasant warm to source of unspeakable pain. All that just in glimpse of an eye. Used correctly can  scorch every obstacle to ash, leaving only burned ground behind.  In unskilled hands can be very dangerous to the person using it. This element have the upper hand against Air, but is countered by Water.

A Lot Better, but you need to be more succinct and to the point. Also try to make sure that you describe the current game and not a personal interpretation of it. Neutral does not block off power spells from other elements for example and fire doesn't depends on stats/skills that we don't have (you're risking confusing the player, if you want to add a slightly longer descriptions, it's great but use words that have literal value and not specifics that we don't have (yet)).

My rewrite would be:

FIRE: The wildest of all elements bringing a change that can never be undone. In a blink of an eye it can turn any obstacle to dust leaving nothing but scorched earth in it's path. In unskilled hands it can be more dangerous to it's wielders than to their enemies. Fire Element is countered by Water but has an upper hand when battling against Air alignment.

But you can do better, just don't put unneeded and confusing things to describe it.

Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3934 on: November 04, 2014, 03:59:46 AM »
Thewlis has sneaked in a large update to the SF :) Make sure to delete all .rpyc files. I'll be able to take a good look at that this Thursday but it look like exactly what I was hoping for.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3935 on: November 04, 2014, 08:41:48 AM »
So, does the game use files in interactions folder now instead of screens for girlsmeets and stuff?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3936 on: November 04, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »
So, does the game use files in interactions folder now instead of screens for girlsmeets and stuff?

Prolly, yes... didn't get a chance to check the internals out yet but that was the idea, to have one common interface. I think that we'll get the new logic sorted first for the next release, get it organized and after the next release, create a new "Hentai Mode" using Gismo's interactions frame.

There is a bunch of stuff we need to do in order to get new system to make more sense. ST needs content and progression as well.

I am hoping to present a base concept for a simple skills and training based on counters, ranks and stats soon (Thursday/Friday).
Like what we're doing?

Offline Thewlis

• Its hentai, quiaff?
« Reply #3937 on: November 04, 2014, 12:35:32 PM »
Ah, yes. Right now the GI has the following options (arranged as "Name" ("label if different") "file the labels are in"):
  • Chat - interactions/GM - chat.rpy

• General
    • About Her
    • Interests
    • Hang Outs
    • Romance

• Training - interactions/GT - training.rpy
       Builds itself from the one-off-event trainings from the schools (currently only the training dungeon).
       The training.rpy file contains the default labels for the training success states (disobey, runaway, etc). The actual trainings will define their own labels.

• Praise - interactions/GM - praise.rpy

• Clever (compliments)
    • Strong (compliments)
    • Cute (compliments)
    • Breasts

• Scold - interactions/GM - scold.rpy

• Dumb (insult)
    • Boring (insult)
    • Ugly (insult)
    • Slut

• Give Money - interactions/GM - givemoney.rpy

• 25G (gm25g)
    • 50G (gm50g)
    • 100G (gm100g)
    • 500G (gm500g)

• Give Gift - interactions/GM - givegift.rpy

• Go Out

• Beach - interactions/GM - go out.rpy
    • Shopping - interactions/GM - shopping.rpy

• Proposition

• Friends
    • Girlfriend
    • Hire

• Intimacy

• Touch - interactions/GM - touch.rpy

• Hug
      • Hold Hands
      • Slap Butt
      • Grab Breasts

• Kiss - interactions/GM - kiss.rpy

• Hand
      • Forehead
      • Cheek
      • Mouth

• Sex - interactions/GM - sex.rpy

• Sex - interactions/GM - sex.rpy

• Fuck
      • Blowjob
      • Anal
      • Tribadism (lesbo)

• Leave

All the options are setup in screens/pyt - screens - girlsmeets.rpy, as well as the actual screen (pyt_girl_interactions) and the label that accesses it (girl_interactions).

All the labels are the option name without spaces and lower case, unless specified. So "About Her" would be "abouther".
The system then looks for first label that matches:
  • girl_meets_"label"_"girl"
  • girl_meets_"label"
  • girl_interactions_"label"_"girl"
  • girl_interactions_"label"
  • girl_trainings_"label"_"girl"
  • girl_trainings_"label"
  • interactions_"label"_"girl"
  • interactions_"label"

This allows us to specific mode-specific scenes as well as girl-specific scenes.

Colors:
All
Girl Meets (Not)
Girl Interactions (Not)
Girl Trainings (Not)

Note:
Greetings have been moved to interactions/GM - greetings.rpy and are accessed through a call() instead of a jump().

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3938 on: November 04, 2014, 01:42:24 PM »
We need to create a new Girls Interactions thread and copy the above there (Dark/CW? I am not sure who should make the first post).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3939 on: November 04, 2014, 03:02:48 PM »
Oohkey, I will copy it.
I have too much free time again, so I'm going to finish girlsmeets. In some cases there are too many lines in 'else' branches, some of them could be used with traits.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3940 on: November 04, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »
Damn.. I forgot that you can just quote the post in order to get to the code. You can ignore my pm.

Going to archive older gm/interactions thread, when you work on girlsmeets, think about how they could work as interactions as well and strive to remove any difference between the two. We'll work on concept as we go.

I'll try to restore girlsmeets style when I get some time to take a look at new code.

Edit: Apparently we never had any GM/Interactions threads... so I archived some other stuff :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:26:14 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #3941 on: November 05, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »
Code: [Select]
  File "game/library/interactions/GM - proposition.rpy", line 214, in <module>
    heroskillz += hero.charisma * 4
NameError: name 'heroskillz' is not defined
it seems that interaction_hire label can't find it's variable definitions anymore or something

-----------
also, old interaction labels are changing profile image while GM labels don't. It was looking weird anyway so I suggest keeping just one stable image there too and use portraits for small mood changes instead.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 12:14:19 PM by CherryWood »

Offline MrKlaus

« Reply #3942 on: November 05, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »
Rewrite of the rewrite, hopefully this time will be ok or closer to the description that is desired.

FIRE:
The wildest of the elements. Mercilessly and irreversibly destroying everything on its path. Leaving behind only scorched earth and ash. In hands of an amateur, is more dangerous to him then to his enemy. Fire Element regardless to its power, is weak against Water but have the advantage versus Air.

WATER: The most mysterious among the elements. Hiding it twisted and destructive nature under the calm surface.  Capable of both, in swiftly or prolonging the violence when taking lives. Leaving behind only rumble and bodies as proof of it fatal capabilities. Dominating Fire with ease, the Water Element is relatively weak against Earth.

AIR: The most agile of the elements. Utilizing its transparency and omnipresent to maximum. Besides that, the wielder that align with the Air Element gets the possibility to use lightning base spells. Being able to strike swiftly and almost undetected, in capable hands this element doesn’t give the opponent much time to react. The Air Element excels against Earth but struggles greatly when dealing with Fire.

EARTH: The slowest and sturdiest among the elements. Known for sacrificing speed in exchange for enchanting its destructive power. Unlike other elements that leaves evidence of their devastating acts, Earth is capable of literally burying the truth. The Earth Element have the upper hand against Water, but have a hard time against the swift Air.

LIGHT: One of the two elements born from men desires, thoughts and deeds. The Light nest itself inside everyone souls. Gaining its force from good acts and pure thoughts. Unfortunately the Light Element is sentenced  for eternal struggle against its rival and counterpart the Darkness. Being evenly matched, the outcome of this internal fight between them depends solely on ones choices.

DARKNESS: One of the two elements born from men desires, thoughts and deeds. Fuelling itself from anger, impure thoughts and evil acts. Dwelling deep in everyone’s soul, patiently expanding, slowly consuming ones soul. But its growth is successfully controlled by its greatest enemy and counterpart the Light Element. Being evenly matched, the outcome of this internal fight between them depends solely on ones choices.

NEUTRAL: Being Neutral is the most popular option among warriors that depends solely on power of their bodies. Not aligning with any element gives the benefit of not worrying of running out of magic or being countered by the opposing element. On other hand, being Neutral is the worst possible option for people basing their fighting style only on magic.

Offline Thewlis

• Its hentai, quiaff?
« Reply #3943 on: November 05, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »
Code: [Select]
  File "game/library/interactions/GM - proposition.rpy", line 214, in <module>
    heroskillz += hero.charisma * 4
NameError: name 'heroskillz' is not defined
it seems that interaction_hire label can't find it's variable definitions anymore or something

-----------
also, old interaction labels are changing profile image while GM labels don't. It was looking weird anyway so I suggest keeping just one stable image there too and use portraits for small mood changes instead.

Fixed and pushed.

As to the images changing I updated the code that did that in the labels to use the new GM system, but left the actual instances of them alone.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3944 on: November 05, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »
I'll fix descriptions a bit and add them to the game tonight + maybe fix a couple of minor issues and get rid of old and unused styles...

Edit: Small SF Update:

- Added descriptions by Klaus
- Got rid of some styles/screens
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:57:43 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?