devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3788202 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #3855 on: October 19, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »
Yup, and it looks very good. Instead of menus just drag and drop characters icons into rooms.

And less so if you're planning to have a range of 2 - 50/60 rooms in the building.

Like what we're doing?

Offline livingforever

« Reply #3856 on: October 19, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »
Hi everyone.

Maybe add a new dict to girls that can be set in their xml/json files to add custom actions to the menu that can then call up girl-specific labels if authors desire. (If we use a global menu instead of char-specific this could still be used, just require a different function/label call to ensure it has everything needed).

As for skills, we could either:
1) create a new dict to ensure no overlap between the current stats and their new skills (maybe move sex/service/strip over as well). Then have the accessing function return 0 for any skill request that doesn't have a key. This would allow easier creation of skills and provides less clutter on the screen as only skills that have training are visible. Probably use a structure like {"skill": {"level": 0, "hidden": True, "talent": 1}}.

2) place the new skills into the current stat store and use the existing systems. Would force all skills to be visible on the girls screen. Would also need a new dict for talents however, something like {"skill": {"talent": 1, "hidden": True}}.
Noted.

And less so if you're planning to have a range of 2 - 50/60 rooms in the building.
This.
Drag and drop isn't necessarily a bad idea, but doing it per room is. Do it per job instead (multiple characters doing the same job must of course be represented by the UI).
Have fun!

Offline Thewlis

• Its hentai, quiaff?
« Reply #3857 on: October 19, 2014, 04:49:39 PM »
What would we an advantage of having girls specific access? It's prolly better handled with flags and buttons (actions) conditions.

I know one of the girls currently made (probably outdated thought) came with their own rpy file with custom events in. Giving an author a way of adding custom interactions to the menu easily would allow them to customise their character further. It could probably be handled solely with events and quests instead, but it wouldn't be too hard to add.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3858 on: October 19, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
This.
Drag and drop isn't necessarily a bad idea, but doing it per room is. Do it per job instead (multiple characters doing the same job must of course be represented by the UI).

Yup, and it looks very good. Instead of menus just drag and drop characters icons into rooms.

We have a working Drag&Drop interface in the FG (PyTom spent a lot of time fixing bad code in Ren'Py that our interface uncovered) and as of 6.18 it should be working well. I just can't see Drag&Drop in brothels...

I know one of the girls currently made (probably outdated thought) came with their own rpy file with custom events in. Giving an author a way of adding custom interactions to the menu easily would allow them to customise their character further. It could probably be handled solely with events and quests instead, but it wouldn't be too hard to add.

I am all for adding that (should be stated in the pseudo-concept). But we need conditions for the buttons so modder can simply put:

if chr == char["Hinata"] / if chr.id == "Hinata" to be evaluated with any additional flags/conditions. I meant that there doesn't seem to be a point in adding anything specific for the girls.

There are two ways that a modder can overwrite default girlsmeets (future interactions) already. One is creating a label with the same name as an interaction adding _girl.id to it and another having specific name for a label that will completely override the entire girlsmeets. Allowing to add options is a nice touch but since it can be done through eval(), creating something special seems like an overkill.

Edit: I got rid of and rescaled some pictures. Your next update might take a while.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 05:11:01 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline livingforever

« Reply #3859 on: October 19, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »
Hi again!
We have a working Drag&Drop interface in the FG (PyTom spent a lot of time fixing bad code in Ren'Py that our interface uncovered) and as of 6.18 it should be working well. I just can't see Drag&Drop in brothels...
It can work, but it's not a must-have.

There are two ways that a modder can overwrite default girlsmeets (future interactions) already. One is creating a label with the same name as an interaction adding _girl.id to it and another having specific name for a label that will completely override the entire girlsmeets. Allowing to add options is a nice touch but since it can be done through eval(), creating something special seems like an overkill.
I think you didn't get the point. From what I understood, Thewlis wants pack creators to be able to add custom dialog options with custom replies without modding the game, but through the girl's configuration instead.
Personally, I think that is a good idea and shouldn't be difficult to add - we just need a simple script interface or (alternatively) a JSON format that makes sense.
Have fun!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:43:23 PM by livingforever »

Offline Thewlis

• Its hentai, quiaff?
« Reply #3860 on: October 19, 2014, 07:36:43 PM »

So many menus.

Interface is practically identical:
Code: [Select]
pytfall.world_actions.location("city_beach")
pytfall.world_actions.menu("relax", "Relax")
pytfall.world_actions.add(("relax", "sunbathe"), "Sunbathe", "sunbathe_event")
pytfall.world_actions.add(("relax", "swim"), "Swim", "swim_event")
pytfall.world_actions.meet_girls()
pytfall.world_actions.look_around()
pytfall.world_actions.finish()

Just use the menu function to add a new menu, then use a tuple/list that contains the sub-menus and ends in the key for the action. The menus use the same properties as the actions (minus an actual action) so they can be customised to show/hide like normal.

I did change how the actions (and hence menus) use conditions however. Before it was solely based on flags. Now if you want to check a flag you need to create a GlobalFlagCheck instance and pass it to "condition".

Code: [Select]
condition="chr.fullname == \"Sakura Haruno\""
condition=GlobalFlagCheck("visited_sm")
condition=17
condition=["True", "7", "lol"]

Condition works with strings (by evaluating them via eval), functions (or classes with a __call__ function, like GlobalFlagCheck) and lists (where their contents are evaluated). Anything else is cast to bool. If you want to pass a list to cast its length to bool you'll need to wrap it in a len call.

Also I pushed the new Building/Job changes. I tested them and everything seemed to be working properly, but I can't promise that I got every possible combination of if statements so be prepared for errors in next_day.

I also fixed the char-creator from giving you the wrong appearance when you changed it, and if you select a new location for a girl that has the same action as their previous they keep it.

Also, how the hell do you use spoilers on here?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3861 on: October 20, 2014, 01:03:27 AM »
I never mentioned brothels  ::)
I like how every room there has its own small menu with options to rebuild it. Also there are rooms occupied with garbage, and you have to remove it for a start.
This type of micromanagement would be too much for huge, multiple buildings like brothels anyway, but not for small, single ones. Characters pictures inside rooms frames are intuitive and illustrative.

Also, how the hell do you use spoilers on here?
You can't. In case of pictures many services provide an option to show a smaller copy instead of the whole picture.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3862 on: October 20, 2014, 03:44:42 AM »

Downloading it now.

I think that interactions should look/function exactly the same as girlsmeets look now. Maybe with texts and nullspace to separate chat from actions... Not sure yet.

Yeah, there are no spoilers in these forums for some reason.

I never mentioned brothels  ::)
I like how every room there has its own small menu with options to rebuild it. Also there are rooms occupied with garbage, and you have to remove it for a start.
This type of micromanagement would be too much for huge, multiple buildings like brothels anyway, but not for small, single ones. Characters pictures inside rooms frames are intuitive and illustrative.

I know, I like Drag&Drop interfaces as well where they're sensible. If we find a good place for one, I'll code it in :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3863 on: October 20, 2014, 04:51:57 AM »
Also I pushed the new Building/Job changes. I tested them and everything seemed to be working properly, but I can't promise that I got every possible combination of if statements so be prepared for errors in next_day.

ND seems to be working fine at face value.

I've fixed some spelling mistakes in actions routines but there is still at least one error in slave market. If time permits I'll try to study the new code a bit to figure out whats what.

===
Edit: Fixed the SM/Arena through your new Flags Proxy class. Great job on new code, I hope there is moar to come ;)

*Interactions should be registered once for whereever they're called I think and not per screen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:00:36 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3864 on: October 20, 2014, 08:08:35 AM »
I have some doubts concerning social status as a part of life simulation system.

If we allow girls to freely upgrade stats, earn money, rise social status and improve life conditions, then eventually every girl will be a rich aristocrat or something.
It definitely is at odds with what we see irl.
So either we set strict limits, like any extra money just disappear if social status is not high enough, stats cannot be rised more than, let's say, 50 per social level, etc.
Or we create invisible force majeure events that from time to time "nerf" girls randomly.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3865 on: October 20, 2014, 08:34:10 AM »
I have some doubts concerning social status as a part of life simulation system.

If we allow girls to freely upgrade stats, earn money, rise social status and improve life conditions, then eventually every girl will be a rich aristocrat or something.
It definitely is at odds with what we see irl.
So either we set strict limits, like any extra money just disappear if social status is not high enough, stats cannot be rised more than, let's say, 50 per social level, etc.
Or we create invisible force majeure events that from time to time "nerf" girls randomly.

We can balance it simply by having them pay rent + life expenses sum of which is slightly lower then wage. Or just pay 5% of the wage for example so girls can buy items.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3866 on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »
Nah, it only solves money problem. We should do something about stats and possibly items (to avoid cluttered inventories).

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3867 on: October 20, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »
Nah, it only solves money problem. We should do something about stats and possibly items (to avoid cluttered inventories).

You're talking about fixing problems we do not even have yet...

Girls could be set to autobuy items after they gather between 3k+ and 10k+ gold for example. Depending on left-overs from earnings/rent we can have girls buying items once at any intervals.

If truth be told I don't know wtf you're talking about here... if a gets 10 gold profit per day, she'll have decent amount of cash in an year. I can also code in item selloff routines for free girls. We can further manage this through some silent events that draw cash from them (sick family, robbery, gambling and etc).

They may all end up as rich aristocrats with a system like that but if that happens after 5000 days for 20% of the girls, who gives a damn?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3868 on: October 20, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »
Pardon me for trying to make a more clear concept. I should have known that such things are not welcomed in the project.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3869 on: October 20, 2014, 11:35:51 AM »
Pardon me for trying to make a more clear concept. I should have known that such things are not welcomed in the project.

I am a bit on edge tonight...

This is one system that doesn't seem complex to me, just slow stats/money growth with a sprinkle of auto-buying items that is easy to control. Very little revolves around it and it exists to create an illusion of live city and set some flags for girls to improve girlsmeets.
Like what we're doing?