devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3810812 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #9495 on: February 22, 2017, 02:21:27 AM »
No, it solved nothing. The star still deviated left and right while being zoomed. I thought it's because of animation imperfection which is not visible under normal circumstances, but even the single first frame of the animation looked the same while being zoomed.

Subpixel True helped, I wonder though while it worked incorrectly only during zoom.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #9496 on: February 22, 2017, 02:31:17 AM »
No, it solved nothing. The star still deviated left and right while being zoomed. I thought it's because of animation imperfection which is not visible under normal circumstances, but even the single first frame of the animation looked the same while being zoomed.

Subpixel True helped, I wonder though while it worked incorrectly only during zoom.

This is very odd... it worked for me perfectly (I checked). I am on one of the experimental inbetween versions of Ren'Py, maybe something was changed.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9497 on: February 22, 2017, 03:57:48 AM »
Matrix dungeon will be ready after my next push. It will be a part of a quest where you find it using SE.

There is one more issue: spells distribution. Having a scroll for every single spell is quite messy. It wouldn't be so bad if scrolls icons would be unique, but it's too much trouble without artists.

Maybe most spells should be learned only via events (such as talking to some npc) or by passing the knowledge between player's characters at the cost of current exp.

Offline grishnak

« Reply #9498 on: February 22, 2017, 07:09:02 AM »
How large are your spell icons? Can you give an example? Maybe you can just use a small scroll as canvas and icons for the spells (as in Baldurs Gate)? Or maybe have one icon per school of spells?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:22:53 AM by grishnak »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9499 on: February 22, 2017, 11:03:54 AM »
I attached to this post an example of water spell scroll. We can use other scroll icons, but no matter the scroll it won't be easy to find an icon for every spell.

Atm we have 74 spells in total, and it's just for beta. Finding 74 unique, suitable icons (and even more in the future) is not an easy task.

Offline grishnak

« Reply #9500 on: February 22, 2017, 11:59:04 AM »
Can you attach a list with the spell names and maybe what they do (unless it is obvious like fireball or ice bolt :))? Maybe i can draw some example icons.

I am going to make my own spell system for a different game with schools and need icons for that anyway. Maybe we can exchange what schools you use and how you categorize the spells (right now i have fire, water, earth, air, life, death, (meta)magic). Some spells might fall in more than one school, too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:04:24 PM by grishnak »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9501 on: February 22, 2017, 12:25:37 PM »
What we have now sounds reasonable, unique icons sound like a headache and I am already down with a horrible migraine :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9502 on: February 22, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
What we have now sounds reasonable
Atm we have 24 scrolls in the dev mode, about 1/3 of the total count. Because I animated other spells after I created scrolls json.
And you can't sort them by element or alphabetically to make it better.

Now imagine how it will look like when we will have 74 scroll types, and more in the future. It's ok for beta, but not for release.

Can you attach a list with the spell names and maybe what they do
I attached the file with spells code. Spells start after
Code: [Select]
##### Magic:line.

P2P_Skill(u"Fireball", menu_pos=0.5, attributes=["magic", "fire"], effect=50, multiplier=1.3, mp_cost=30, range=4, piercing=True,
                desc="Launches an exploding fireball at one enemy.",
                projectile_effects={"gfx": "fire_6", "sfx": "content/sfx/sound/be/fire7.mp3", "duration": 1.0},
                main_effect={"gfx": Transform("fire_6_1", zoom=1), "sfx": None, "duration": 1.2, "aim": {"anchor": (0.5, 0.5), "xo": 0 ,"yo": 0}},
                attacker_effects={"gfx": "fire_2", "sfx": "default"},
                target_sprite_damage_effect={"gfx": "burning_with_shake", "initial_pause": 0.1, "duration": 0.7},
                target_death_effect={"gfx": "dissolve", "initial_pause": 0.1, "duration": 0.5},
                dodge_effect={"initial_pause": .1})
For example, Fireball is name, and "Launches an exploding fireball at one enemy" is description.

Offline grishnak

« Reply #9503 on: February 22, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »
I already like your scrolls, too. They should work well with divison or sorting by school. And it seems there is room enough in the png to include a small effect icon or a rune combination to uniquely identify them. If you have the spellscrolls treated as items anyway, can't you keep the current ones and expand the icons later (should be just a json or xml question by then)? I see no problem to use the same icon for the spell under skills as under items, too...but if they need to be different you could use the transparent scroll and icon and put it on top of a book for skills for example.

I included a quickdraw for a scroll where the icon is on the scroll. Though it looks you kept the top 50% of the png transparent for a reason, in which case my png would be useless.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9504 on: February 22, 2017, 04:07:49 PM »
Every other item has a unique icon, so with some experience you can quickly find and recognize it by appearance. Meanwhile with identical scrolls it will never work like that.
Graphical inventory suddenly becomes text based, when you have to read items names to find an item no matter how well you know the game.

In some games, such as HOMM, player has a book of spells. I wonder if it can serve as a more clean and neat way to handle spells - even without icons.

I guess I'll try to use frames from spells as icons...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:08:49 PM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9505 on: February 23, 2017, 03:45:54 AM »
I just noticed unusual lines in some spells.
main_effect={"atl": ice_storm, "predict": ["ice_twin_explosion", "ice_strike"], ...Should I use predict too somehow?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9506 on: February 23, 2017, 04:17:04 AM »
I just noticed unusual lines in some spells.
main_effect={"atl": ice_storm, "predict": ["ice_twin_explosion", "ice_strike"], ...Should I use predict too somehow?

You could. Internal prediction system can be used to preload images. Our use of that is somewhat limited atm and I am not quite sure what that does to webm files.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9507 on: February 23, 2017, 08:10:36 AM »
I almost finished with scrolls. They are not perfect, but at least better than identical ones.

That's it, I have nothing to do as long as you don't have any progress in adding new systems.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9508 on: February 23, 2017, 10:46:53 AM »
Gonna try to make some tonight. We'll have to work together on balancing stuff out when the core system is setup.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9509 on: February 24, 2017, 12:09:25 PM »
I've added base_stats and base_skills dicts to jobs and traits that should go like:

"base_skills": {"exploration": 90}

where the 90 is "weight" (how important the skill is to the job or base trait). I am going to try and come up with some formulas tonight and implement the whole thing tomorrow (you'll have to add the values to Jobs and JSON) and I'll try to evaluate them to simpy land and general gameplay.
Like what we're doing?