devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3807686 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8250 on: August 25, 2016, 03:03:27 AM »
Let's see...

Assume actors have an elemental resistance stat for each element.  0% is "normal" resistance, or full damage.  100% is full resistance.  200% is absorbing full damage, or full negative damage.  -100% is double damage.   This is a linear scale, so you can easily extrapolate the amount of damage done for any resistance value.
Our absorption works differently, it absorbs a fixed amount of spell damage. This system assumes full control over absorption rating, which is cool, but requires rewriting all absorption parts.

• If you hit a creature with multiple elements that it's weak against, you should do significantly more damage than you would have with just one element that it's weak against.
  • If you hit a creature with multiple elements that it absorbs, it should absorb significantly more HP than it would have with a single element.
  • If you hit a creature with multiple elements, some of which it's very strong against and some of which it's very weak against, it should, at worst, do an average amount of damage.  Same with healing.
  • If it's immune to every element you hit it with, it should take zero damage.
  • If you hit a creature with an element that it has normal resistance to and an element it is immune to, it should do less than normal damage, but at least half.
  • The function should be relatively continuous; changing a single resistance by a small amount should never change the total damage by a large amount.
    So, let's try this:

• Find the average off all the damage multipliers.
    • If the result is greater than 1, raise it to the power of the number of elements involved in the attack.
    • If the result is less than -1, do likewise (except preserve the negative sign if you end up squaring the value)
That sounds interesting, although not simple.
Let's go back to the original idea where we just add all the damage multipliers together to get the total damage.  Boring stuff, right?  It doesn't have to be if we spice it up in some other way.
Why not consider having multi-elemental attacks inflict status effects?  Now, coming up with all of the combinations will be time consuming, but it could net you something really cool.  Maybe adding ice and electricity together will inflict Slow?  Perhaps holy + fire has a chance of causing instant death to undead?  There are all sorts of other things you could do with various elemental combinations if you move away from just the idea of pure damage.  Plus, if you want, you can add these effects in addition to the high damage formula listed above.
Gismo suggested it before too... Will require advanced coding, since effects should be really unique to be meaningful.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #8251 on: August 25, 2016, 03:04:11 AM »
I really hate that we cannot show many elements for multielemental attacks. Look here for example, I mean the battle log. It tells you total damage and then all its parts, in different colors.

Even if it's not possible without deep rewriting, showing one element for ME spell is stupid. At least let's show it like" damage 130 (air+ice)".

It's not that we can't... too much effort needs to be put in to make our ME system work and even more to get it to report that way. It will also be a bit confusing to maintain. I'll try to think of a way to make it happen but not for Beta.

- Next I will add item mods.
- Then add a couple of new skills.
- Check the TODO list on what else needs to be done.

ME will have to wait.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8252 on: August 25, 2016, 03:19:22 AM »
Let's see...
Our absorption works differently, it absorbs a fixed amount of spell damage. This system assumes full control over absorption rating, which is cool, but requires rewriting all absorption parts.

This sort of absorbs a fixed amount as well...

Problem with this is similar to our system. It's just easier to work with this as resistance, absorption and damage are all handled through the same multiplier.

We'd prolly have to give up some of our logic too, but it wouldn't be a big deal. We also could add "physical" to the mix, mostly for ranged and melee. Maybe even specify ratios in the attacks.

That sounds interesting, although not simple.Gismo suggested it before too... Will require advanced coding, since effects should be really unique to be meaningful.

Nah, this is insane. Way too much work.

=======================>>>>
Maybe a complete rewrite... I haven't considered that yet.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8253 on: August 25, 2016, 03:41:31 AM »
This sort of absorbs a fixed amount as well...
No. 200% absorbs all, 150% absorbs 50%.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8254 on: August 25, 2016, 04:30:04 AM »
No. 200% absorbs all, 150% absorbs 50%.

Yeah? We can do the same thing, can't we? Absorption rate of .5 or 1.0? I mean, we can adjust our system to the but I don't want extra code to add confusion.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8255 on: August 25, 2016, 04:47:43 AM »
So it's damage = base_damage * (1-resistance*0.01), with negative result healing the target.

Elements however also give bonuses and penalties to spells damage. Which is a logical thing to do, if you have fire, your fireball should be better no matter your target. Might as well change their format to integers % too.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:18:19 AM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8256 on: August 25, 2016, 04:51:44 AM »
Item mods for BE may be able to affect enemies too btw. Like, decreasing their evasion chance.

Offline lamoli

« Reply #8257 on: August 25, 2016, 04:07:19 PM »
Next up.. ( this 1 i made out of a front/side face picture )

With Apron

Twist/Deform test
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 04:21:13 PM by lamoli »

Offline lamoli

« Reply #8258 on: August 25, 2016, 04:17:24 PM »
Again while browsing for content i found a char i liked turned into a freak so improved on it..

http://damianhandy.deviantart.com/art/Saeko-Busujima-Mod-308065246

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8259 on: August 26, 2016, 05:59:46 AM »
- It might be wise to simplify absorption and resistance for ME. If at least one element can be absorbed or resisted (in this order), then the whole spell will. It will make them more risky, so in return we can make them more powerful. For example, all elemental bonuses to damage provided by traits will be multiplying by the amount of elements in the spell if they are positive, and = 0 if they are negative.
- Showing one color for damage is not an option, it's confusing. At least "100 (air+ice)". We also could try unicode symbols like ๐Ÿ”ฅ ๐ŸŒŠโ˜๐Ÿ’Žโšกโ„โ˜€โ˜ โ˜ฃ
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:15:47 AM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8260 on: August 26, 2016, 06:24:32 AM »
Next up.. ( this 1 i made out of a front/side face picture )

Looks great, but I think Saeko hair are less dark and more blue/violet than here  :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:31:27 AM by DarkTl »

Offline lamoli

« Reply #8261 on: August 26, 2016, 08:03:31 AM »
Yeah pics i used had bright purple.. while on the web she was more often with darker blue hair like this 1 but color its just a rgb value to change so its fine lol

why is it so hard to find character sheets with front/side view.. i found good ones of akame ga kill so im doing Esdeath now
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:24:48 AM by lamoli »

Offline lamoli

« Reply #8262 on: August 26, 2016, 05:10:27 PM »
Hmm.. ( its mmd clothes base reworked and hair so look bad but does she look like the real thing or at least good enough to make a game pack.. ) ?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 05:13:42 PM by lamoli »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8263 on: August 27, 2016, 05:02:24 AM »
Body is fine, but the hair are too thick. You use a few thick strands with noticeable distance between them, as a result they kinda start to look like tentacles. Here you can see that her hair are rather slim.

Offline lamoli

« Reply #8264 on: August 27, 2016, 05:41:35 AM »
Body is fine, but the hair are too thick. You use a few thick strands with noticeable distance between them, as a result they kinda start to look like tentacles. Here you can see that her hair are rather slim.

Yeah clothing texture and hair comes from mmd so its bad.. the rest i remodeled to match the reference picture and happy enough to have it that close.. i need to find a way to make the hair i want.. even Saeko i had to make em myself as no one ever did that type of front hair lol.. also there are 2 main types.. Esdeath poly with volume really had to control and make.. or Saeko flat type with hair texture transparency.. atm mi trying to find ways to better deal with flat ones.. there is also a few model types of those there..

http://moogleoutfitters.deviantart.com/gallery/47851035/Hair-Female

But of course not everything you might need so i have to make my own but hard to make it look right sometimes.. im getting better with realistic material ( witch isnt good for anime stile untill i find the right settings to make them look good )

For the 2 last models i used a more anime face and less like real world 1.. not sure if its right or not..