Author Topic: Hosting on my server  (Read 8856 times)

Offline Lorn

Hosting on my server
« on: October 15, 2009, 12:14:50 PM »
I have started the fresh install of vBulletin on a subdomain set aside for necro. The setup should take me a few hours. I will be posting the new link when done.

I need two volunteers to moderate the forum. Make sure that there is no spam. Posts are placed in the proper threads and general maintenence.

Necro from the old forum shall be placed as Administrators.

And if Dagoth is willing I will place him there as well. Since he seems to have some knowledge on how the forum is run. I myself will be placed in the super admin group so I am able to keep the forum up to date and to help out when I can. Any questions may be posted in this thread and I will answer as fast as I can.

Offline Lorn

Re: Hosting on my server
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:38:27 PM »
Update 8:03 PM MST
Create subdomain for PinkPetalGames (pinkpetalgames.thefirstomega.com) -Completed-
Install of vBulletin 3.8.3 -Completed-
Configuration of vBulletin -Completed-
Create board topics. -In Progress-
Create user categories. -Not yet started-
Create Admin email addresses and configure through webmail. -Not yet started-
Create cPanel login for Necro, and Dagoth for MySQL database access and maintenance. -Not yet started-
Create theme for forum. -Not yet started-
Install any requested plugins/features for forum such as upload and screenshot hosting. -Not yet started-
Debug and address any security issues. -Not yet started-
Create forum rules. -Not yet started-

Mods of current forum please post here so I know who to add to the moderator group. Any other volunteers please post here as well. I will update this as I complete tasks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:04:20 PM by Lorn »

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 07:50:12 PM »
I think Dagoth is enough as mod, it's not like there's a lot of traffic so there's need for more mods/admins, at least for now. Only reason I'm (still) an admin here is because I installed this forum script and didn't get necno's confirmation that he has received all admin data so I could remove myself from admin list.

Offline Lorn

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:02:22 PM »
Understood. The reason I am putting him as an admin is because he seems to understand the workings of mySQL which incase of the server exploding. (rare but possible with my luck) He is able to troubleshoot the problem without me having to be around. I am a fulltime IT tech after all I rarely have any freetime myself. But is it only You? (Solo), Dagoth and Necno that I need to worry about putting in the mod group for now?

Offline Alienhand

• Beware....
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 04:08:10 AM »
Damn! Not a new forum again, I just spammed thisone!  ;D

No, only a joke, I wanna say thank you for setting up a new forum for this (hopefuly) growing community. I'm really lookin' forward for the new one, even if this one isn't that bad, but its a little boring, 'cause all white. Maybe you could change it a little on the next one?  ;)

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 07:36:30 AM »
Understood. The reason I am putting him as an admin is because he seems to understand the workings of mySQL which incase of the server exploding. (rare but possible with my luck) He is able to troubleshoot the problem without me having to be around. I am a fulltime IT tech after all I rarely have any freetime myself. But is it only You? (Solo), Dagoth and Necno that I need to worry about putting in the mod group for now?

I think Necno and Dagoth are enough for now. Old board didn't have any mods and there weren't any problems :).

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:17:42 AM »
I'd prefer SMF as I've worked with it extensively (admin, setup, advanced modding, theme creation, etc.) rather than vBulletin which I've never worked with except as a standard user, but... OK. With SMF we would also easily be able to transfer everything over from here and not lose the existing posts again. Oh well.

Yeah, I doubt much any moderation will be needed in the foreseeable future.

EDIT:
even if this one isn't that bad, but its a little boring, 'cause all white.

There are other themes available, including already a few nice dark variations of this current one, though I guess that doesn't matter if we're switching to a vBulletin forum.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:46:48 AM by Dagoth »

Offline kenoichi

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 03:13:07 PM »
hi...
i'm new around here...
i have some knowledge about different kind of forums
so if you still need help with getting that forum to run or editing something i can help
but as the previous poster i'd prefer this this forum
i worked with IPB (invision) but i think i can adapt quite easy to vBulletin

i know there is no need for more staff members on a forum this small...
to tell you the truth i don't even want to be a staff member, i just want to offer some help thats all
as this game is developing pretty good so far ^-^

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 08:31:02 AM »
When it's all ready I'll upload new index page with link here. That way the everyone who gets here can update their bookmarks.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 11:01:13 PM »
If this falls through, I can offer hosting for the forum myself in the near future. I would have offered earlier, but my personal VPS hosting plan is currently intermittently saturating a 100 megabit network connection ( :o ) and I don't need any more strain added to that. I've just heard from my host that they're supposed to upgrade the server to a gigabit connection pretty soon, at which point that won't be a issue. I'd have no problem keeping all of the current forum data either, assuming Solo can export the DB from the current host.

Figured I'd put that forward since we haven't heard from Lorn in a few days.

EDIT:
Also, I've successfully registered and tested the free domain "pinkpetal.uni.me" for the site, whether it ends up on Lorn's hosting or mine.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:07:08 PM by Dagoth »

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 05:50:29 AM »
Of course, either from hosting control panel, or from forum maintenance. I've added you to admin group, so you too can access forum maintenance and DL database if need be.

Hmm, I just tried it and it works (db backup), but it seems that gzip compression doesn't work. It added gz to extension, but file was plain text (sql file).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:56:36 AM by Solo761 »

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »
OK, with Solo761's help we're now hosted on my VPS. Welcome.

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »
Well, it wasn't that much help, only some whining to get a copy of forum database :).