Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3788505 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #9105 on: December 05, 2016, 10:51:47 AM »
Clarify how you made Slow and Fast Learner traits work. Should I use adjust_exp function every time I deal with experience, or they always work?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #9106 on: December 05, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »
Clarify how you made Slow and Fast Learner traits work. Should I use adjust_exp function every time I deal with experience, or they always work?

You should use the adjust function, until we have a more sound method.
Like what we're doing?

Offline picobyte

« Reply #9107 on: December 05, 2016, 02:11:07 PM »
Items transfer still doesn't work like it did. You are supposed to have the same container with character listed from both sides.

Well I take it you didn't like the char swap solution? okie, reverted.

Also, there seem to be instances when you get a huge list of traits removed (top-right part of the screen) when focusing an item on a group.

Yep that's the dummy not comparing well with the group. now it shows trait differences for the first char, which is right in most cases. There's no perfect solution. No trait display for groups is another option.

Offline picobyte

« Reply #9108 on: December 05, 2016, 02:33:56 PM »
looks nice, all the art coming by, btw. Is there a schedule/roadmap somewhere for planned changes?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9109 on: December 05, 2016, 02:36:42 PM »
Well I take it you didn't like the char swap solution? okie, reverted.

Thx! It was a bit confusing.

Yep that's the dummy not comparing well with the group. now it shows trait differences for the first char, which is right in most cases. There's no perfect solution. No trait display for groups is another option.

Your call.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9110 on: December 05, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
looks nice, all the art coming by, btw. Is there a schedule/roadmap somewhere for planned changes?

We tried that, didn't work out :(

My hope is that we can release a stable beta in end-January. I should have a lot more devtime in a week or two, but I am working on two projects. If we can manage a stable demo for the other project by xmass, end-Jan should be possible for pytfall assuming that Dark also has enough free time to wrap up content addons.

I still have no clue about the time required to make 3D-rendered packs.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9111 on: December 05, 2016, 11:49:30 PM »
I think you have much more work to release the beta than me. Arena, Graveyard, Autobuy/Autoequip are 100% yours. There is not much I can do there, it's pure, complex logic.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9112 on: December 06, 2016, 05:21:23 AM »
I think you have much more work to release the beta than me. Arena, Graveyard, Autobuy/Autoequip are 100% yours. There is not much I can do there, it's pure, complex logic.

So is SE, BE, Wage/Status Tiers, Building/Businesses/rChars Generation, Taxes and SimPy stuff. I do have almost unreasonable expectations towards myself when working uninterrupted so the plan is to take out all of that in a week or two in January, even while working on other project(s) + as codebase grows, you can add events, texts and image calls + balance stuff out.

Another plan is to try game development fulltime with patreon account for at least for a half an year to see if I can swing that. I've worked hard to make sure that there is enough money to last at least for two years without any income (which cut down game development time in the past 6 month to almost 0) so we'll have a beta out in the first quarter even if we keep expanding the concept and expectations towards it :D
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9113 on: December 06, 2016, 06:26:57 AM »
Yeah, some artists at patreon get absolutely unreasonable sums every month, considering how little they actually do due to laziness or  lack of free time.

However, Pytfall contains many copyrighted resources, even packs aside. BE animations, music and sounds, items icons. Pretty sure patreon will not appreciate emails from content owners.  Meaning you also should hire Gismo to draw everything from scratch  :D

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9114 on: December 06, 2016, 07:01:29 AM »
I am not planning to officially feature pytfall there, we'll start off with baberunner demo :) We got three copyright claims just from the pytfalls youtube techdemo! but nowadays they just stick commercials in and earnings go to respective copyright owners.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:09:23 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9115 on: December 06, 2016, 09:26:50 AM »
Babe Runner already has a page at patreon - with insignificant income. Secondary patreon pages will get even less. Then again, I suppose you can mention Pytfall there without advertising it.

Personally, I used to support a few games there, but stopped after this awesome story. Unlike kickstarter, there are zero mechanics to make sure that either a game will be ready eventually or money will be returned.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9116 on: December 06, 2016, 09:39:45 AM »
That page belongs to the artist who used it on per work basis instead of per month basis. There is no demo of BR either. We'll see, I do not hold any high hopes for BR itself, it has nice art and coding techs but it's too dark and lacks direction. I want a simple, breezy game with a nice gui and bright setting next. If we can get a couple of k between two account, we can start incorporating cooler techniques or even different engines, but we need to get there first.
Like what we're doing?

Offline lamoli

« Reply #9117 on: December 06, 2016, 10:49:03 AM »
Ill try to make some simple BG for scene like seeing parts of:

Bed/floor (angle down)
Bed/sealing (angle up)
bed/wall (sides)
bed (mostly topview)

for dungeon training room i could make the stone with wooden pillars ( more like European style ) and full wood ( more like Asian type ) for those i got some reference..

for holding cells i guess it depends is its euro or asian to use stone or wood..

But i need to know how the interiors will look like for more general scenes...

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:03:26 AM by lamoli »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9118 on: December 06, 2016, 11:08:26 AM »
We do not have dungeon. There was one in the past but we decided to leave it till after beta.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9119 on: December 06, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
I believe you have access to the repo. There are pictures in game\content\gfx\bg\locations starting with girl_room. That's more or less how living interiors look like. I just avoid high tech devices when look for backgrounds.