devolution

Author Topic: Something New - Game  (Read 17976 times)

Offline Sharkey

Something New - Game
« on: March 09, 2015, 02:28:42 PM »
Hi,
Today I want to introduce you my new game project that will be available for everyone for free.
The main goal is to create open source and portable game, where gameplay is mostly based on lua scripts. Due to that everyone will be able to modify almost every part of game.
Almost, because there are things that potential modder/scripter (I could even say game developer) shouldn't even know how it's works.
Of course if you really would like to know, just check game code.
For project I'm using cocos2d-x, so basically code is written in C++.

Why I have chosen cocos instead of for example Unity?
Well, it could be debatable.
However the main reason is memory usage where on mobile devices for this kind of game could be crucial.
In C++ I'm able to do a few optimization tricks ;)
If it is not enough for you, I could say something more - there's no built-in splash screen.

What are the difference between WM?
First of all portable game with saves, scripts, girls etc. synchronization.

Secondly less static visualization of actions.
No, not gifs. The answer is skeletal animation.
Every action should have own sequence of animations based on scripts.
For example handjob action with one customer should be different than with two at same time.
Thanks to scripts you will be able to catch amount of customers and play specific animation.
Seems awesome, right? Yeah, but there are 2 problems: graphics of characters and animation.
Animation problem can be solved by Cocos Skeletal Animation Editor which is pretty easy and simple, so it only requires someone to do this kind of work.
However graphics problem is more complicated.
For now they are limited to Corta's template [ http://www.legendofkrystal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1329&start=760&cache=1#p135778 ] which is free to use. If you would like to create specified girl (I mean not the randomly generated), you will need to find or create parts(rasterized vector graphics) for her.
If this feature won't be accepted I will stay with standard images or maybe mix this. It depends on your opinions.

And more small things like:
- Approach to entities. Every customer should have own statistics or even items (randomized or specified in script) which could affect actions.
For example customer with high intelligence could negotiate with you to get better price or customer with knife have better chance to attack your girl.
Maybe they're not good examples, but it shows how powerful scripts could be.
- Slave auctions
- Turn separated to 4 phases: morning, afternoon, evening and night.
So player will be able to take more decision and actions for every girl.
- Player hero that can also work and do actions.

I have no idea for name of game and i don't even know if i could use WM name. So for now i'm using codename "Rihadia".

That's all for now. I'm waiting for your opinions.

Edit.

Code repository: https://github.com/Vesculli/Vesculli
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:34:04 PM by Xan »

Offline _rhetorik_

Re: Something New - Game
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:50:54 PM »
My question when i see that kind of thread is always the same: Why dont you contribute to WM instead?

I will give a few reasons why you should:

• WM is C++.
  • WM has an already kinda stablished user base so it is much more appealing to dev it to someone that it is not just you.
  • WM has already a lot of code done by many devs. This means that you can see the result of your work in a day/week instead of waiting years (or forever) to see it come through.
  • WM could use some of the features you already want to implement. Some are even planned to be done already (the player stats ..... i guess).
  • WM could use this lib for a new GUI system (Current one is really from another century).

Offline MMeer

• Monocle Kyubey
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 07:55:03 PM »
I like the sound of this new game. Looking forward to seeing what comes of it.

Offline Sharkey

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 06:25:24 AM »
@_rhetorik_  I understand your point of view. Let me explain that.

WM is C++.
Yes, it is, so what?
The main problem is usage of SDL1, which is pretty old and only contains low level things.
Even migration to SDL2 would take the same amount of time as write it from 0 in cocos2d-x or other high level lib.
Cocos provides the tools like Cocos Studio that speed up your work almost x3 and it is more friendly for normal user.
I could say something about current code design of WM, but it's not that much important if it works.
It works, but with memory leaks [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak ].

WM has an already kinda stablished user base so it is much more appealing to dev it to someone that it is not just you.
Yea, competition will be probably the hardest thing of the project.
But what if users will get better alternative?

WM has already a lot of code done by many devs. This means that you can see the result of your work in a day/week instead of waiting years (or forever) to see it come through.
I'm glad that they do WM.
Years? This is pretty overvalue.
I could done the playable version (without skeletal animation) before June or even May (it depends). I can spend on it ~5h almost every day.

WM could use some of the features you already want to implement. Some are even planned to be done already (the player stats ..... i guess).
Yes, that's true, but some features are just not possible, to be easily done in SDL1.
It would take much, much work than in other more high level libs for example - porting.

WM could use this lib for a new GUI system (Current one is really from another century).
I agree, current GUI system is only taking a lot of code lines and compilation time.
That's the big disadvantage of SDL1/2 - there is no good and portable GUI library.
But dunno how do you want to connect SDL1 with cocos2d-x.

I just want more modern WM. I hope you'll understand me.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 11:45:28 AM »
A lot of games use images packs. It will be refreshing to have something different.

Otherworld tries to do something like that, but characters creation is quite complicated there.

Offline Sharkey

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 12:10:11 PM »
Actually, characters creation is not that complicated as you think.
There's no problem if you got needed assets.
It only takes a few minutes to set new texture parts and to correct position of bones (if it is needed).
Animations could be easily copied from template.

http://speedy.sh/ePhMY/SkeletalAnimation.zip (ofc it's only example | requires Cocos Skeletal Animation Editor to open&edit)
This sample takes me something about 20min to set correct position of bones, rotate and scale (probably some resources from Corta's Template need to be resized before export to .pngs).
It doesn't even require any kind of skills to do this.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:15:11 PM by Xan »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 12:37:50 PM »
Well, in order to create known characters you should be able to change body size and boobs size too, not just hair and clothes.

Offline Sharkey

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 01:13:36 PM »
There's no problem to scale whole body or individual parts like boobs.
You can do this via skeletal editor or code or lua scripts. So what's the problem? :)

Offline _rhetorik_

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 01:27:11 PM »

[size=78%]@Xan[/size]

I understand. I just don't like to see many poor alternatives .... That is a problem FAR bigger than WM. An example is the linux distros.

My post was just an attempt to make you focus your efforts on a much needed WM improvement instead of building yet another similar game from ground zero.

In the end it is entirely up to you.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
Oh, I never tried to do something like that before, I mean skeleton editing. So I was wondering if such options are available.

WM is outdated in many ways. It's still a great game that brought me here 4 years ago, but even then it was quite old and abandoned by its original creators. Of course it's easier to join wm team. But we really need a new generation of h-games, so I support any initiatives in this area.

Offline ct4thg

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 11:19:58 PM »
I like this. How about Vesculli for a name?

Offline Sharkey

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 03:23:38 AM »
I like this. How about Vesculli for a name?

Sounds good. It means something or it is totally random name?

I will probably create Trello board or Google Docs for progress update notes and discussion to prevent spam on forum.

Offline ct4thg

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
Sounds good. It means something or it is totally random name?

Your probably never going to find the meaning of it. Consider it a random name.

Offline Sharkey

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 05:36:00 AM »
Sorry for delay, but it was not my fault.
I didn't expect a huge delay from cocos team to release new version - v3.5.
Finally I can start true work on the project.
Repository with source code is on the bitbucket with basic game skeleton - https://bitbucket.org/Vesculli/vesculli
Of course there's no spectacular things, mostly transitioning between scenes, but also you can see germ of script system.

Compiling for Windows requires: VS2013 & Cocos Framework v3.5 & optionally Visual Leak Detector for debug mode
For scene editing: Cocos Studio (automatically installed with cocos app)

Cocos Framework can be downloaded from Cocos app (v2.2).

If you have any propositions or whatever, please add an issue on bitbucket.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:57:10 AM by Xan »

Offline dullman

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 01:19:58 AM »
Sorry for delay, but it was not my fault.
I didn't expect a huge delay from cocos team to release new version - v3.5.
Finally I can start true work on the project.
Repository with source code is on the bitbucket with basic game skeleton - https://bitbucket.org/Vesculli/vesculli
Of course there's no spectacular things, mostly transitioning between scenes, but also you can see germ of script system.

Compiling for Windows requires: VS2013 & Cocos Framework v3.5 & optionally Visual Leak Detector for debug mode
For scene editing: Cocos Studio (automatically installed with cocos app)

Cocos Framework can be downloaded from Cocos app (v2.2).

If you have any propositions or whatever, please add an issue on bitbucket.

I must say i will watch this project with interested (since i really don't have time and money to work on mine) and if it will be interesting enough i might try to add few hairstyles from anime girls, also i must ask if you plan to use only view of girl from side? or also from front/back? Also if you plan to introduce different hairstyles from left and right side?