Author Topic: <-- Archived -->  (Read 113308 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
On the other hand, if the game will check for eqchance any consumables for every girl at every turn, it probably shouldn't be a problem. Thus, they will gradually consume items rather than store them forever

Yeap, but eq chance is more of a tiebreaker for similar items than an enforces. Girl will not use consumable if it's not required at the moment.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

A question. Let's say, a girl has Tough trait. She drinks a potion which gives Fragile trait. These traits are mutually exclusive.
Should I remove Tough trait first, or the game will do it automatically?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
A question. Let's say, a girl has Tough trait. She drinks a potion which gives Fragile trait. These traits are mutually exclusive.
Should I remove Tough trait first, or the game will do it automatically?

You should than remove all traits that block Fragile. Even then, it will be applied only if trait is not blocked permanently. Basically on traits application, the very first thing that happens is a check if a trait is in blocked or permanently blocked trait, if that's true, function stops there.

That reminds me, I need to correct a method that removes traits, right now if trait is removed, all blocks that come with that trait are removed as well, but if two traits are supposed to block the same thing, this is a problem. So every time on trait removal, all blocks on remaining traits must be reapplied.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

I see. While this approach gives a couple of good opportunities, it also has one problem. For example, if some item tries to give Athletic trait, and for a start removes Tough, but then it turns out that Athletic is blocked permanently. It means that the girl simply loses Tough without any benefits.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:43:42 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
I see. While this approach gives a couple of good opportunities, it also has one problem. For example, if some item tries to give Athletic trait, and for a start removes Tough, but then it turns out that Athletic is blocked. It means that the girl simply lose Tough without any benefits.

True, matter of game design I suppose.

Our new coder decided to rewrite the game in proper code. He also suggested that we could reorganize traits and sort of 'put them in slots'. Basically things like
Body: Tough, Athletic, Fragile;
Boobs: Small, Large, Huge, Abnormally Huge;
Personality: Meek, Tsunadere, Yanedere, Shy

and so on. That would definitely solve all issues but will also come with some limitations I expect.

In any case, I am going to do what I've always done, just code in code that works flawlessly and leaves as many avenues open as possible, if he doesn't leave/disappear before managing to rewrite the game, I'll try to switch to proper coding as well :D . For now, if you want traits to behave differently, recoding them shouldn't be difficult.

==========================
PS: You should get on mirc when you get a chance, even if just to sit there idly :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:11:00 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

Can't we just use effect flags to create "tags" for traits?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
Can't we just use effect flags to create "tags" for traits?

We could... why would we want to do that?
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
We need a Cmax field for misc items too. Otherwise most of them will be too powerful.

BTW: cmax will be availible for any item, not just consumables. My previous idea of adding another 'mmax' field for misc items was stupid.

If left open, it will be business as usual.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Personality: Meek, Tsunadere, Yanedere, Shy
Talk about simplification...

For now, if you want traits to behave differently, recoding them shouldn't be difficult.
The easiest way is to prohibit using items which add any permanently blocked traits at all.
Unless we'll have more elegant solution, it should be enough.

You should get on mirc when you get a chance, even if just to sit there idly
If you say so. That mirc thing looks totally dead, and I have no idea why we couldn't just use any forum, including this one. It's not like we planning a crime here.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:02:57 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
Talk about simplification...

Yeah well... that's just one option. Basically

The easiest way is to prohibit using items which add any permanently blocked traits at all.
Unless we'll have more elegant solution, it should be enough.

Doable, I was planning to write a function to handle area effect consumables. I can put a check there.

If you say so. That mirc thing looks totally dead, and I have no idea why we couldn't just use any forum, including this one. It's not like we planning a crime here.

Well, chatting beats forum sometimes cause you can throw ideas around faster...

In any case, while Mijh is recoding the game (or coding a new game, I haven't figured out his plans yet :) ) I've more or less wrapped up items logic. Next step is the gui.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Doable, I was planning to write a function to handle area effect consumables. I can put a check there.
That reminds me, we could use one more area type for consumables: the whole party in the battle.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
That reminds me, we could use one more area type for consumables: the whole party in the battle.

I'll need to take a look at BE for that, but it isn't in plans for the immediate future.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

I wonder if something bad will happen with the game engine if some stat becomes negative. Something like a potion permanently reducing min and current defense by 30 consumed by character with defense 20.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
I wonder if something bad will happen with the game engine if some stat becomes negative. Something like a potion permanently reducing min and current defense by 30 consumed by character with defense 20.

Not sure about the battle engine, game should be fine.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
@ Dark

I've fixed xml items file you were building (beta version). Please keep to that structure in the future cause loading your files is either impossible or above my skill level.

Couple more things:

1) Disposition items.

Issues like these are bound to come up cause no design is perfect... basically, everything works well save the fact that a girl can buy an item, use/equip it and get a disposition bonus towards the player for no good reason.

I see a number of approaches here:

- Girls are not permitted to buy any item that increases disposition.
- Items that modify disposition track their origin (VERY difficult to code under the current setup)
- We add new field like dismod = '80' that is applied only when you give an item to the girl and takes away value*1.3 if you take it back from her. Nothing will happen if she just buys the item (only normal disp bonus applies)

Prolly more ways to solve this, I am open to any ideas.

2) You showed a couple of really cool interfaces related to inventories and equipment, can those be ripped? I fairly confident in my ability to code a screen of similar quality, but creating graphical resources like that would take me to long to be worthwhile.
Like what we're doing?