devolution

Author Topic: <-- Archived --> -PyTFall- Communication and Repository Information  (Read 39382 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
- We've switched from Git to Mercurial, repository is still on SourceForge and direct link to it is: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sb-pytfall/

Game as it is on the Repo is not setup to be playable, rather it is setup to facilitate testing so this is not likely to be useful to anyone who wants to play but is meant for people who might want to contribute to the project or help us hunting Errors.

We've decided to disable easy access at least until @ release. Feedback from downloaders seems to be practically non-existent and alpha release is not that far off + events at time of alpha release will be boring if people seen them already.

Running PytFall

- First thing you'll need is RenPy: http://www.renpy.org/latest.html Just unzip it, it doesn't require an installation.

- Second you'll need Mercurial, I strongly suggest: http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/download/ cause it's kinda awesome. You'll have to install this one.

- Next:
1) Create a folder in RenPy where you'd like the game to be, you can call it anything you like (mine is called "pytfall")

2) In that folder: rightclick --> TortoiseHg --> Clone

3) Under "Source": enter:
Code: [Select]
http://hg.code.sf.net/p/sb-pytfall/code
4) Under "Destination" there should be a local path to folder you've created in step 1).

5) Click "Clone"

Last thing you will need are:
https://mega.co.nz/#!G5o3VKCR!F2xrvSfVW-LWjg4L_mQOfUbnBoxFijnY9d308oZU1Nc
https://mega.co.nz/#!71QTEQxZ!CYO4FDqLJRWI5CcdgjXcPw5uyXFHkfYcyUYbNJB5qPQ

These are more recent packs by Dark: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43556362/Girls.rar

Inside these .rar files are the characters for the game. After you've cloned Repo (Steps 1-5), you will find the "game/content" folder in RenPy/[whatever you named the project]. chars and rchars folders in .rar files should be unarchived there (path to Persona characters for example should look something like:
Code: [Select]
**\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall\game\content\chars\Persona)

To update, just rightclick --> TortoiseHg --> Synchronize  in "pyfall" folder, it's self-explanatory there after.

Devloping PytFall

PyTFall is being developed using DropBox and Mercurial Repo on SF as explained above. If you wish to contribute, you can grab the Repo and take a look inside. If you think that you can help out (It's a lot easier than it looks), post a message on forums or in PM.

Discussing project

We're usually doing this here, Mijh has also setup an IRC channel for the project so if required, we can use that or Skype.

Apart from giving thoughts in these forums, if you'd like to get immediate feedback or discuss something in real time, we have a chat channel on OFTC IRC server.

You should mention someone's name or /query them (private msg) to notify them when you talk.

Here is a video on how to set up and connect to IRC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCdolm7PaFU

Hope to see you on #PytFall :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:12:43 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

Re: -PyTFall- Communication and Repository Information
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
Awesome! Cheers for mercurial :)

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 04:50:36 PM »
You might want to use several smaller archives in the future. Mega tends to provide small download speed with so large files sometimes.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »
You might want to use several smaller archives in the future. Mega tends to provide small download speed with so large files sometimes.

You're prolly right, Mega has been working so well for me lately that I forgot it may have limitations as well...

Awesome! Cheers for mercurial :)

There, there!!! :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline ninjinto

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »
Hooray, I get back for the weekend and it's been moved to Mercurial.

Mega.co.nz is alright; just please don't use sharesix as I've seen in other parts of this board. It expects you to download an exe file, which wants to install bloatware, which only then takes you to an actual download location which expects you to sign up using a plastic money card. There might be some way around this but it's just the absolute worst user-hostile filelocker site I have seen.

Just recently rediscovered pinkpetal after a long time of having forgotten about it; just now catching up with what appears to be several different mods. Will try to get this running and see what all is what.

Offline skata

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 05:15:32 AM »
best game i have ever played.very good ideas very rich as long as the development does not stop it will be epic

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 07:39:10 AM »
best game i have ever played.very good ideas very rich as long as the development does not stop it will be epic

There are no plans of stopping development, I am slowly working on Arena, there is a lot of sorting and precautions necessary to ensure that it would not fail under any scenario and that is forcing me to learn/revisit new python modules and rewriting code over and over again. I am hoping to have a semi-working version of that in couple of days.
Like what we're doing?

Offline KaiSakurai

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 10:53:46 PM »
1.1MB/s download rate on 1.2GB file for me.....
i can hardly complain o.O
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:16:31 PM by KaiSakurai »

Offline karlsen000

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 03:46:31 AM »
It might just be me that's incompetent, but I'm not sure how to actually run the game after following the steps (1-5) described in the top post.
I guess I need to run the game through Ren'Py somehow, but have no idea how to do that. Please help :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 04:02:30 AM »
It might just be me that's incompetent, but I'm not sure how to actually run the game after following the steps (1-5) described in the top post.
I guess I need to run the game through Ren'Py somehow, but have no idea how to do that. Please help :)

You basically just start RenPy, choose project and click start.
Like what we're doing?

Offline raduciu

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
Got everytthing set up but i get this error in renpy. Key Error Alice_Margatroid. Maybe I have an old chars or rchars file?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »
Got everytthing set up but i get this error in renpy. Key Error Alice_Margatroid. Maybe I have an old chars or rchars file?

Yeah, game expects her to be there...

These are new packs by Dark: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43556362/Girls.rar

You only really need Alice.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 05:47:41 AM »
The new repository is awesome indeed, nothing like that sh#t we had before. Quick and flawless download without hours of messing with command line.
You probably should remove the game from dropbox, since you rarely update it anyway, and I could use some shared space for sounds and stuff.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:57:45 AM by DarkTl »

Offline BlackWolf Inc.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 01:59:01 PM »
I agree, it makes getting everything much quicker which is always good.
Don't look at me like that! I found 'em that way....

Now no-one else has to die...
unless I think of another reason.

If found, please return to Miss Y. Rhul.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 03:48:12 AM »
So, I made my first push. Let me know if I messed something  :)