Author Topic: Learning how to make games  (Read 6920 times)

Offline Savagefrog

Learning how to make games
« on: December 03, 2009, 02:20:53 AM »
I have a question for the people who work on making this game. Where did you learn how to do it. Are you self taught or did you go to classes for it?

Offline Midnight_Amratha

Re: Learning how to make games
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:32:38 AM »
making games comes in two parts, each equally difficult and gruelling.

part one: Get a good (!) idea for a game.
part two: assemble a good team while learning how to program.

if you manage those two parts then you're guaranteed to make a good game.
The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:00:49 AM »
There is also a who crapload of game design theory to be learned as well, though there aren't many sources to learn it from.  Having consulted for a game development company and being a veteran gamer with hundreds of different systems under my belt, I have a pretty good feel for ideas that will work and those that won't when it comes to the mechanics of a game.  You can have a fantastic idea for a game with a great development team, and still make a poor game if you don't get the mechanics right.

Good examples are: Sacred (good story, good dev team, terribly clunky mechanics), Master of Orion III (successor to one of the most popular strategy franchises ever, great dev team, but the game's mechanics were wholly dissociated with the rest of the game - like playing chess with Monopoly rules tacked on), Axis and Allies (great concept, poorly executed mechanics)
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Savagefrog

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 03:11:38 AM »
I am fleshing out my game idea but would like to know where to start learning about how to program an what all is needed.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 05:24:03 AM »
First decision: what to you want to write it in? C++ is what necno used for WM, and it's a good general purpose choice, and will fit most sorts of games. Flash has its merits, and has a ton of tutorials going for it.  RPGMaker is good if you want a basic JRPG, although if you want to get  creative you'll want to learn a little Ruby. Another beginner framework I've heard people speak well of is GameMaker, although I never used that one. To a certain extent, it depends on the sort of game you want to make. I mean there's a cool visual novel framework called Ren'Py that's been used to good effect.

Anyway, depending on what you want to write it in, there's a ton of tutorials out there, which is your next step. Best advice there is start simple. My first ever game I started by just getting the sprite to display. Then getting it to move, then user control of movement... if you solve one problem at a time, life is simpler.

Other thing worth looking at is the Toon Champ forums where they have a decent development community. I know the place can look a bit offputting, but the game dev guys are really very supportive.

http://toonchamp.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »
Two books i can recommend are:
C++ from the ground Up
RPG game programming with direct X

These two book are great, the second one will teach an introduction to direct X while the first teaches C++ brilliantly and is also a good reference you can use your entire life.
A website i use a hell of a lot is: www.gamedev.net
A magazine i'm a subscriber to is: http://www.gdmag.com/
Similar to the magazine (and they are actually the same): http://www.gamasutra.com/

With all the above under your belt you can start making games. Also I did (but haven't completed yet) a bachelor of interactive entertainment which is a university degree that will take you hobby further.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:35:22 PM by necno »
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline Savagefrog

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Thanks Necno, now I know what books to go an get an will take a look at the links. :)

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 11:17:53 AM »
Hmm, that C++ from the ground Up book sounds nice. I just bought one for cca 6$ off ebay :), used of course. I have some ideas of my own what I would like to make and I made some concept app with C#. But I guess it would be best to just use Ren'Py, it already has most (or maybe even way more) of what I wanted to make with my app (which currently only has simple world navigation). C# is OK for windows applications, but for something custom you have to roll up the sleeves and start digging, so why not dig in C++ :).

I tried creating windows C++ project in Visual Studio to see what would it take to make C++ editor version, but from what I saw I'd need to create even the window and elements on it via the code. I need some theory before I do that :). For C# I can just throw elements to the app window in designer mode and then make the logic behind them. I managed to find something similar for C++, but from what I saw that would also require .net.

Offline omnislash

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »
Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel is a very good free e-book if you are looking for resources. When I was learning C++ at University I just sat down with a copy of this book and Dev-C++ and worked through all of the examples. I was using function pointers and template classes before the rest of the class had learnt about variables.

Offline fires_flair

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 07:37:03 PM »
where can I get the first volume of the book? I got a download from the site but it's the second book. and I know nothing about programing, yet. and do you guys have any other recommendations? (especially for some one new to programing, like me)

Offline GonDra

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 09:49:55 PM »
for the first and second volume look at http://www.mindviewinc.com/Books/downloads.html (volume 1 stands three up from the bottom of the list)

as for recommendations: just make it a habit to commentate your code, it makes live easier if you look at it a Month or two later.