Author Topic: Arena Concept  (Read 46589 times)

Offline Xipomus

Re: Arena Concept
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Hey guys,

Been checking into the crowd cheering thing.
Will have to generate lose figures and render those out on a transparent background.
Later work those together.. it will take a while.

Hope to get a start on the weekend.

Did you like first animation set & forest?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 09:16:21 PM »
Did you like first animation set & forest?

Yeah, I didn't put it into the game yet but definitely liked it. I need to cover the stat window area with the same understrip so there is place for battle-sprites, I'll see if I can recall how precision cutting is done in photoshop when I add beast fights to the Arena.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xipomus

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »
Hmm. My 3d library has some issues with those old clothes... even with the new Poser fitting function.

So I'm just editing the crowd texture to another frame and will render all frames again.

What kind of resolution is the game now. The renders I did before where 1280x720.
This ok? Or do you use another res. This because of how much background people I have to edit.

Let me know.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »
Game is 1280x800, but I'll have to add 200 pixels of space to cover the stats window anyway so images will have to be edited.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2013, 09:01:23 AM »
Code: [Select]
[
{
"name": "Randalf",
"portrait": "content/npc/arena/km (2).png",
"battle_sprite": "content/npc/arena/km (1).png",
"exp": 10000,
"stats": {"attack": 120, "defence": 80, "magic": 50, "agility": 80, "luck": -10},
"bskills": {"SwordAttack": 1},
"mskills": {"Fire 1": 1, "Fire 2": 2}
},
{
"name": "Z",
"portrait": "content/npc/arena/km (4).png",
"battle_sprite": "content/npc/arena/km (3).png",
"exp": 10000,
"stats": {"attack": 110, "defence": 100, "magic": 30, "agility": 60, "luck": 10},
"bskills": {"KnifeAttack": 1},
"mskills": {"Earth 1": 1, "Earth 2": 2, "Earth 3": 1}
}
]

Mobs and arena fighters are pretty selfexplanotory but I'll add some notes just in case:

- "battle" picture might be added where it could be found, I'll make sure that the game will display it later.
- "exp" is required to ensure that maximum of a stat is high enough, classes for mobs are similar to those of other characters so there is a level_max cap and a normal max cap.
- Values following skills are their weight, basically how much does a character favors the skill.
- Earth/Fire/Water 3 skills will target the entire player party.

Otherwise, there is a lot of stuff that can be added to this json (nicknames, gold, items drop and so on) but it's prolly to soon for that...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »
- Values following skills are their weight, basically how much does a character favors the skill.
So the less the value, the more a character loves the skill, or on the contrary?

- "exp" is required to ensure that maximum of a stat is high enough, classes for mobs are similar to those of other characters so there is a level_max cap and a normal max cap.
Why not level? It would be more understandable.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »
So the less the value, the more a character loves the skill, or on the contrary?

Contrary (higher value = more useage)

Why not level? It would be more understandable.

Seemed simpler...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2013, 11:11:02 AM »
I propose two things, level instead of exp and stats progression instead of stats values.
Progression is how much (randomly within a certain range) a stat increases with each level, M S A B C D E F. M (master) is the best, F is the worst.
Like "attack": S, "defence": D, "agility": B.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:20:29 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »
I propose two things, level instead of exp and stats progression instead of stats values.
Progression is how much (randomly within a certain range) a stat increases with each level, M S A B C D E F. M (master) is the best, F is the worst.
Like "attack": S, "defence": D, "agility": B.

Levels make sense, I am not sure about progression, it doesn't seem very useful at the moment.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »
Different types of enemies should have different stats. Like a golem should have high hp and defence, while a lich should be a good magican.
At the same time they won't have a fixed level, so you cannot directly set it without a progression of some kind.

Besides, since the game itself will balance out mobs stats, accurate stats values are pretty much useless.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2013, 12:13:25 PM »
Different types of enemies should have different stats. Like a golem should have high hp and defence, while a lich should be a good magican.
At the same time they won't have a fixed level, so you cannot directly set it without a progression of some kind.

Besides, since the game itself will balance out mobs stats, accurate stats values are pretty much useless.

Than it would make more sense to set stats on a scale from 1 to 100 and have the game change that accordingly. Exp/Levels are kidna useless than as well :(

I just generally don't like using letter codes where numbers can do the job better.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2013, 12:21:11 PM »
Hm, ok. Let it be a scale from 1 to 100.

I see the system like this.
Lich as a monster type should have, for example, 10 attack, 20 def and 60 magic scale. And there are subtypes, like halflich (level 10), lich (lvl 30), ancient lich (lvl 70), divine lich (lvl 120 or = party lvl if party lvl is higher than 120).
So you don't need to create 4 different, yet identical mobs, instead you set a progression and mob's levels in different areas.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »
Hm, ok. Let it be a scale from 1 to 100.

I see the system like this.
Lich as a monster type should have, for example, 10 attack, 20 def and 60 magic scale. And there are subtypes, like halflich (level 10), lich (lvl 30), ancient lich (lvl 70), divine lich (lvl 120 or = party lvl if party lvl is higher than 120).
So you don't need to create 4 different, yet identical mobs, instead you set a progression and mob's levels in different areas.

Shouldn't they have like different pics or something? I always liked games where mobs levels didn't go up with heroes/parties levels.

BTW: If you want to set MP/Health, just use:

"health": 80, "mp": 50

in stats dictionary.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »
Ideally, different subtypes should have different pics if it's possible (be my guest and find an artist, then they definitely will). But they are still the same type of enemy.

Let's say you fighting in the forest, and the deeper you go, the more higher-level wolves you will find (I guess it should be a part of tile properties).
So there are 1-5 lvl wolves, 5-10 lvl full-grown wolves (with another picture, if possible, and another progression), etc.

As for leveling with the party, it should be a part of endgame dungeons, where you need best items to survive, not just level.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »
Ideally, different subtypes should have different pics if it's possible (be my guest and find an artist, then they definitely will). But they are still the same type of enemy.

Let's say you fighting in the forest, and the deeper you go, the more higher-level wolves you will find (I guess it should be a part of tile properties).
So there are 1-5 lvl wolves, 5-10 lvl full-grown wolves (with another picture, if possible, and another progression), etc.

As for leveling with the party, it should be a part of endgame dungeons, where you need best items to survive, not just level.

We'll figure it out... one more thing:

Mobs are expected to be facing from right to left, ArenaFighters, characters and random characters from left to right.
Like what we're doing?