devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3818040 times)

Offline Drinflo

Re: SimBrothel: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #540 on: March 12, 2013, 08:36:02 AM »
I'd love to help, and I will write something this coming weekend, but a list of what can be written would be helpful, as you said girl interactions but which girls im pretty sure some of them are already written, also you said something about NPCs, can I just whip up an npc give him a personality and a quest and then find some images that would suit him/her? Also something more, a test version download link would be really helpful. If there is one I did not manage to find it >.<.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:37:41 AM by Drinflo »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #541 on: March 12, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I'd love to help, and I will write something this coming weekend, but a list of what can be written would be helpful, as you said girl interactions but which girls im pretty sure some of them are already written

There is no list at this point, you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

Those can be improved in MANY ways or even expanded.

also you said something about NPCs, can I just whip up an npc give him a personality and a quest and then find some images that would suit him/her?

NPCs, Locations, Events, it'll all come useful at some point.

Also something more, a test version download link would be really helpful. If there is one I did not manage to find it >.<.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43556362/SimBro%20PytFall-0.26-win.rar

This is an older version, but you can use it for now. Just take a look and see what you want to improve/add.

I'll also attach current traits file.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #542 on: March 12, 2013, 10:31:48 AM »
I'd love to help, and I will write something this coming weekend, but a list of what can be written would be helpful
Well, good example are small, random events occurring during the different jobs depending on character traits. We only have some for Rest for now, so the more the better. If Xela will provide list of jobs which he is going to use at least in basic version, it probably will help too  :)

We don't have any npc yet, and locations are pretty random, so if you feel like creating them, do what you think is right.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #543 on: March 12, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
Well, good example are small, random events occurring during the different jobs depending on character traits. We only have some for Rest for now, so the more the better. If Xela will provide list of jobs which he is going to use at least in basic version, it probably will help too  :)

We don't have any npc yet, and locations are pretty random, so if you feel like creating them, do what you think is right.

Yeap

I decided that it is time to update dev version to 0.28 as a decent amount of new code has been written. Still to early for new preAlpha :(

Brothel management screen now looks a little bit better.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:03:51 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #544 on: March 12, 2013, 08:57:12 PM »
For those who only grab the SimBro PytFall v0.28 and copy it to another location for testing.

Remember to copy the entire renpy-6.15.0-sdk\module folder that xela has and copy/replace it into your own module folder for renpy.

Otherwise, errors will abound.
This could be the end ...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #545 on: March 13, 2013, 06:36:28 AM »
For those who only grab the SimBro PytFall v0.28 and copy it to another location for testing.

Remember to copy the entire renpy-6.15.0-sdk\module folder that xela has and copy/replace it into your own module folder for renpy.

Otherwise, errors will abound.

Yeap... Just one error actually, since game is trying to import tag module.

I've gave it a test run yesterday, fixed a couple of bugs, apparently only normalsex act was logging in wages, some other minor stuff as well. Library folder is updated.
==========

@ Dev team(or anyone who's interested):

I would like to hear some of your thoughts on how to approach next day reporting. What we have right now is basically a cycle of codeblocks within one method. While it would prolly make sense to split it into multiple methods for better code readability, I can manage the way it is now. Question to you is:

How do we combine reporting stats, income and texts during the next day?

Options:

1) We leave everything as it is now, just improve the reports.

2) We do not report any stat increases during job performance at all. Just leave texts. Players would have to just guess.

3) We report stat increases in a separate window during the next day report and clean texts. Text still may give a hint of what has happened to stats and why, but all numbers will be on a separate sheet. (I particularity like this way because it's clean and has only one downside (Player will not always know why certain stat went up or down)).

4) Same as above but we make two text windows and report with texts events during the job in one and what has happened with stats in another. (This is a lot of work and prolly not worth it).

As for income, this needs to be changed because wages are being settled after all acts are performed (next day report for every girl separately)

There are likely to be more options...

Tell me what you think.

==========================

As logic matures, tell me if you have any input on obvious improvements, questions or ideas. For example it just occurred to me that player should not pay girls upkeep if she is sent off to school or pay her a wage while she is resting.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:07:15 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #546 on: March 13, 2013, 08:07:05 AM »
I personally think we don't need superaccurate reports about every single stat change.
While major events like acquisition of some trait or random attack undoubtedly should be reflected in report, reading about improving the constitution of every single cleaner every single day quickly get bored. We could write about possible stat changes in the job's tooltip or ingame faq.

I like the way it handled in brothels.im though, where different stats have different colors and game just shows you +3 -2 +4 every turn, so game interface is not cluttered with text. If you feel like borrowing that system, or using something similar, i.e. simple and clear instead of walls of text, I have no objections.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #547 on: March 13, 2013, 08:32:38 AM »
It appears that I'm unable to launch the game anymore. When I try to execute renpy.exe, nothing happens. I use win7, tried to run as administrator too.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #548 on: March 13, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
It appears that I'm unable to launch the game anymore. When I try to execute renpy.exe, nothing happens. I use win7, tried to run as administrator too.

The problem is that you guys are launching the same RenPy SDK from multiple systems :)

I couldn't launch it either so I've reuploaded the whole thing. Best bet is to download a fresh copy of RenPy and copy project in there. It will most definitely work.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #549 on: March 13, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »
I like the way it handled in brothels.im though, where different stats have different colors and game just shows you +3 -2 +4 every turn, so game interface is not cluttered with text. If you feel like borrowing that system, or using something similar, i.e. simple and clear instead of walls of text, I have no objections.

That is practically the same as I suggested :) Put stats on separate window, coloring fonts is easy with RenPy. Text will not be cluttered that way.

brothels.im has good texts but they rarely match the images and options for Browser based games are somewhat poor.

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #550 on: March 13, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
That is practically the same as I suggested :) Put stats on separate window, coloring fonts is easy with RenPy. Text will not be cluttered that way.
Yeah, the thing is, even through I like it, I'm still not sure we need it. WM and Slavemaker do well without such detailed statistics. I guess we should try and see for yourself.

I couldn't launch it either so I've reuploaded the whole thing.
I can launch it now, but I can't start a new game because db/map.xml is missing.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #551 on: March 13, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »
I can launch it now, but I can't start a new game because db/map.xml is missing.

I'll upload it again, try it then.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #552 on: March 13, 2013, 05:32:45 PM »
Thanks, it works now.

I think one thing that should be changed is selection of brothel every time you want set someone to work. Another button like "Move to another brothel" or something would be better, like in WM. I just test the game several times, not play it, and I already getting tired of this extra movement  :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:36:02 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #553 on: March 13, 2013, 05:40:51 PM »
Thanks, it works now.

I think one thing that should be changed is selection of brothel every time you want set someone to work. Another button like "Move to another brothel" or something would be better, like in WM. I just test the game several times, not play it, and I already getting tired of this extra movement  :)

Ok, noted, I'll try to figure out best way to approach this if I have time tomorrow. Will likely have to be weekend otherwise.

@CW:

Any progress with girlsmeets?
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #554 on: March 14, 2013, 05:12:27 AM »
Any progress with girlsmeets?
I'm really, really sorry, but I have nothing. Nothing at all.

And I'm not working on it now either, I left that a while ago because I just wasn't able to do it. I was under impression that you know about that, but now I see that I stupidly deleted the file where I was saying that... My fault, again, I'm sorry.

I would love to help but... honestly, better to not count on me with anything right now. I've got a lot of school work to do and I also have an annoying toothache that prevents me from concentrating.... so now I was doing only the simplest stuff, like girl images (and even that was going slowly - NGE girl pack is only about 75% done and I barely touch my remaining share of work on Naruto)