devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3788217 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: PyTFall Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2013, 12:23:18 PM »
Xela, you mentioned a mission system. I take it the girlsmeet encounters you are working on are something different. Are missions quests? Or randomly generated short- to mid-term goals for the player? Or something else?

Girlsmeet encounters are a way to acquire girls. Missions are used for different purposes. For example, acquire 3 girls in 15 days of time or rank up 3 girls 3 levels or train a girl to specific stats or have sex with a 'city girl' or buy a new brothel and so on. But that is just one of the things you could work on.

The "exploration engine" sounds even more interesting to me, but given Xela's plans they are scheduled for far later in the process, so it's probably to early to work on that.

Exploration engine was meant as a joke :) Unless you figured out RenPy, making one could be troublesome. Also, like you've said, it's way to early.

Alright guys, I was thinking about what I could tackle next codewise. What system would really make the game better at this point?

So, team, what do you think I should do? Please remember I'm really bad at creating content, I would much rather create systems that make it easy/easier/possible for you to add content.

I figure there are many things you can do:

1) Work on advancing game logic. Jobs, Brothels, Items, Advertising, Events. Content can be left to the simplest sentences, it can be improved later. Balancing out the game

2) Arena, logic for the Arena anyway (This is very challenging)... For Arena there is shitzloads of code to write too, There must be tournaments every 30 - 35 days or so to create a top 10 - 20 lineup, must be a way for girls that are working for you to participate, girls that are in the game but NOT working for you and NPC (with portraits again :D). 3 Lineups, 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3. Betting system, you can place bets on the next fight, there should be odds (like 1.2 payout if team 1 wins, 1.6 payout if team 2 wins) as well. Autocalc battle system that calculates a winner based on stats (a system similar to WM can be created that describes the fight action by action but I would call that an overkill and I've never planned to write that myself) with some of random factor such as luck involved. Basically, you get the idea, this was planned for later as well but it would make a great addon.

3) Mission system.

4) Function or class that takes my 'day' variable and returns day of the week based on it, maybe moon cycle as well, some modders love that crap, I  was planning to code that in eventually.

5) Joker system, awards that iterate over one of the girl's lists or single girl increasing different attributes, give you new girls, other bonuses or can be traded for money. (Basically same thing as items that we call jokers and put on separate window cause it's a historic part of SimBrothel)

6) Advance girl's AI, maybe add a couple of stats and write a behavior system towards player and all aspects of the game as you would envision it.

7) - I can go on for a while like this... Maybe you feel like there should be something in the game that hasn't been planned? Or want to work on something planned but I did not mention here. It's up to you basically, I always welcome free code contributions!  ::)  ;D
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »
Dev version has been updated, traits should now be working, waiting for content. Girl's Traits at the end of viewport on girlprofile screen.

OK, how can you restore AP then? Can max AP be increased or decreased?

Your explanation makes sense, and it feels better than what I had thought of.
Any Idea how many Actionpoints a girl should get? (different amounts for slaves/normal girls?)

Also i have the feeling all this design talk should be collected in a single place.

Agreed, collecting it here :)

AP system already partially works! Has been for a while. Right now it works like this:

- Girls have 'baseAP' that is set to 2 at the beginning of the game and can be modified later by traits, items, events.
- On top of that, girl get extra 1 AP per EVERY 15 (Or 20, I don't remember how much) points of Constitution she has. Every turn, AP is being restored at the next day by adding baseAP to whatever the amount she gets from Constitution.

This is how it presently works.

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<traits>
    <trait
        id="Dummy"   #Name
        desc="This is a dummy trait! " #Description
        temp='3'> # if set to more than 0, trait is temporary, it will disappear after the set number of days. 0 defines a permanent trait that can only be removed thought some sort of user interaction.

<mod charisma = '50' /> # Changes the stat
        <max charisma = '10' /> # Changes Max of a stat
        <max refinement = '10' />
        <min charisma = '20' /> Changes Min of a stat
        <effects name = 'Confused' /> # Sets a girl flag to true, whatever that flag may be
        <blocks name = 'Cute' /> # Blocks this trait
    </trait>

</traits>

Do we need anything else? Method to apply traits to girls is finished, now methods that removes traits, tracks temporary traits and modification to girl's .xml load function to enable traits that she starts with remain. 

New fields in girl's .xml file:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<girls>
   <girl
      id="Sakura"
                 folder="naruto"
      name="Sakura Haruno"
      desc="MedicalNin from Naruto series"
      charisma="20"
      refinement = "10"
      libido="40"
      constitution="40"
      exp="0"
      joy="20"
      character="45"
      reputation="0"
      health="100"

anal="0"
      normalsex="5"
      blowjob="2"
      lesbian="0"

attack = '18'
      defence = '15'
      magic = '10'
      agility = '12'
      mp = '15'

occupation="Prostitute"
      location="slavemarket"
      status="slave">

<bskill name = "FistAttack"/>
      <mskill name = "Fire 1"/>

<absolute_block trait = 'Megahuge Tits'/> #Permanently blocks trait for this girl.
      <block trait = 'Weakminded'/> #Just blocks this trait (These blocks can be removed, when you get rid of a different trait that blocked this trait for example)
      <trait name="Dummy" /> #Activates this trait on gamestart.
   </girl>
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:00:09 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2013, 07:30:11 PM »
I implemented a Calendar class that returns the weekday, week and lunar phase given a count of days. I assumed that you start counting days at 1, but it's a trivial adjustment if you actually start at 0. The names of the days, the length of a week and the length and start of the lunar cycle can be customized when instantiating the class. For real-world names and lengths, just instantiate without any arguments. I'm still undecided what to tackle next, so I did this as a "target of opportunity".

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2013, 08:37:08 PM »
I implemented a Calendar class that returns the weekday, week and lunar phase given a count of days. I assumed that you start counting days at 1, but it's a trivial adjustment if you actually start at 0. The names of the days, the length of a week and the length and start of the lunar cycle can be customized when instantiating the class. For real-world names and lengths, just instantiate without any arguments. I'm still undecided what to tackle next, so I did this as a "target of opportunity".

Awesome!

I added it to the game, later we'll display pictures instead of text for the cycles, but it works great!

For now, Day of the week and Mooncycle reported in the tooltip of main menu.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2013, 06:12:38 AM »
I gave some thought to girls system, more specifically days off. Perhaps player should be somehow forced to provide them from time to time, at least to free girls. Maybe min fatigue will increase if you don't give it for a long time, or girl herself might sometimes ask player to provide one or several days off, and refusing will hit her disposition.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2013, 06:37:46 AM »
I gave some thought to girls system, more specifically days off. Perhaps player should be somehow forced to provide them from time to time, at least to free girls. Maybe min fatigue will increase if you don't give it for a long time, or girl herself might sometimes ask player to provide one or several days off, and refusing will hit her disposition.

We're planning to allow a good deal of girls, that will prolly not be the best approach. Min fatigue increasing doesn't make any sense so you'll have to explain me that one. Girl asking a player for several days off every time she gets tires will get old really fast but it is a good idea random event that could happen on throwing dice on next day. Girl could always ask for vacation time.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2013, 08:17:50 AM »
Min fatigue increasing doesn't make any sense so you'll have to explain me that one.
I heard somewhere that IRL we have holidays and vacations not just for fun. Everyday rest after work isn't enough for full recovering, fatigue is gradually accumulating, and to avoid it we have holidays every week and even vacations every year (most of us, hopefully  :) ).
In game it means that girl without days off at all cannot rest fully no matter how many AP you put into rest, i.e. her min fatigue cannot be 0, and eventually, maybe months or year later, she will too tired to work at all (when min fatigue=max fatigue).

Girl asking a player for several days off every time she gets tires will get old really fast but it is a good idea random event that could happen on throwing dice on next day. Girl could always ask for vacation time.
Yup, that's what I'm talking about. Random days off to visit her parents and friends, go shopping, because of some illness and so on, not just when she tired.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:34:18 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2013, 09:18:18 AM »
I heard somewhere that IRL we have holidays and vacations not just for fun. Everyday rest after work isn't enough for full recovering, fatigue is gradually accumulating, and to avoid it we have holidays every week and even vacations every year (most of us, hopefully  :) ).
In game it means that girl without days off at all cannot rest fully no matter how many AP you put into rest, i.e. her min fatigue cannot be 0, and eventually, maybe months or year later, she will too tired to work at all (when min fatigue=max fatigue).

New stat? Like accumulated fatigue? Girls gets + 1 per day and starts loosing normal fatigue faster if 'AF' goes above 150? Resets to 0 if you give her vacation time?

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. Random days off to visit her parents and friends, go shopping, because of some illness and so on, not just when she tired.

Kinda counter-intuitive. Girls gets rest-days to visit family and friends. I'll enhance rest job later adding texts to it, if girl is a slave, she would be taking it easy, if girls is free, she would go and visit friends/family.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2013, 09:45:52 AM »
Well, you know how in slavemaker sometimes stat minimum (usually lust  :D ) becomes more then 0. And if you want to lower it, you should use special means.
In our case I'm not sure about the numbers, but let's say every week without a day off will cause random increase of min fatigue, 1-5 points for example. I guess we need a new variable for it, yes. And one day off will drop it by, let's say, 20-40 points.

Kinda counter-intuitive. Girls gets rest-days to visit family and friends.
Sometimes they can spend money in shops buying new items, like girls in wm already do in their free time.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:09:07 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »
Ok People, Look alive!  ???

I would say it's time to take care of advanced logic, after that game should be at least semi-playable. We need to discuss stats, traits, jobs and so on.

Lets start with traits. I would say that the system is ready and working, needs testing obviously and traits themselves. If anyone is up to it, grab the file in the shared folder, throw it into your own folder and add traits as you see them, we can balance those out later, when game pace is clearer.

Traits in the original SimBro:

"Splendid Body";
"Big breast";
"Rest";
"Smart";
"Strong";
"Shy";
"Lolita";
"Artist";
"Maid";
"Happiness";
"Lucky";
"Tough";
"Nymphomaniac";
"Obedient";
"Sex Addict";
"Experience";
"Good Health";
"Exhibitionnist";
"Famous";
"Tips";
"Noble";
"Excellent Reputation";
"Cat Girl";

We all know traits in WM. Write special effects on separate file, I'll add them to the game separately, those can be pretty much anything at all.

Stats:

charisma=0, - Her beauty, looks and so on
#Do we need beauty like in WM as well? Then we calc looks from (beauty+charisma)/2?

refinement=0, - VERY/Most important stat in the game, represents her behavior in court, ability to appeal to costumers, to get better ranks. Note that this will be capped at 40 at the start. As she gains experience and refinement, player can rank her up. Higher ranks will mean higher cap for refinement. In the end I think maxed out refinement will be between 150 - 200 from ranks, items and events.

libido=0, Self-explanatory.

constitution=0 How many actions she can take each day, in reality that will be determined by AP (Action Points). Base AP will be 2, she gets one extra for every 20 cont she has. Base can also be changed by items/events.
#I knew I covered it somewhere before :)

exp=0, Experience, not entirely sure what to do with this except having a required amount for a rankup.

joy=0, Happiness Do we need Happiness as a separate stat?

character=0
, Another REALLY important stat, it's like obedience, high character means she is strongheaded.
#Maybe add obedience to it as well? Character being strongheaded (refusing stuff she dislikes) and low obedience, rejecting everything you ask of her (for untrained slaves mostly since trained slave would have a max of this one at about10 and free girls work for a wage, organization and protection)

reputation=0
, Not entirely sure we need this, Rank is basically the same thing...
Looking at it now, we do NEED this, if only for Arena/Warriors since they have no brothel ranks.

health=0, HP - Hard to live without it :)

fame=0, How infamous she is, Girls with high fame will attract better costumers with more cash in their pockets.
I have some good ideas on how to make this a very interesting stat.

mood=0, No idea why this is in the game, since stats are not final, I prolly had some purpose for this at some point but forgot :(
I do not remember putting this into the game, must have been first days of development (I started with sGirl class). Can anyone think of a good use for this that would justify spending time modifying this stat in functions?

disposition=0, Min =-1000, Max = 1000!!! Her loyalty, love, respect and so on towards the player. This is what interactions and girl meet are supposed to be changing before anything else. Maybe -500 so you can push her into hatred territory? Or add more stats like love/hate. Maybe later (MUCH LATER) we can also add new stats signifying disposition between girls as well so they can form friendships...

fatigue = 0, Max = 300, How tired she is, eventually will be shown to a player as text and not as number.

attack = 0,
                magic = 0,
                defence=0,
                agility = 0,
                mp = 0,
Battle Stats like in fighting games, since players do not dodge attacks: it's Speed, how long does it take before she can attack again.
Since battle stats are mimicking those of the battle engine, there is not much that can be added here.

anal=0,
                normalsex=0,
                blowjob=0,
                lesbian=0
Sex stats or skills as they are called in WM.
New stats will be required if we add new categories, but I forgot about strip(tease)... maybe also 'Service' skill like in WM? Obviously a lot more after slavetraining is added.

Anything else that would make sense? Anything forgotten? Any advice on how to use these stats? I will go through the code soon and start modifying all aspects of the game according to stats table we create here. Balancing it all out later.

Jobs:

What do we want for jobs? Any events during jobs you had in mind?

Planned so far:
- Whore
- Rest
- Heal
- Training (several kinds of training)
- Striptease

Do we want more? Cleaning? Going to court? Hunting, Guarding or something else for Warrior types to do, especially before Arena is ready, or should we keep Warrior types out of the game before we move to Advanced version???

Brothels:

What else do brothels need at this point? Ideas? Events? Other? :)
I think that I will start with adding advertising and upgrades first (today).

From a different SimBro thread...
"Filthy"<-"Very Dirty"<-"Dirty"<-"Messy"-"Tidy"-> "Clean"-> "Very Clean"-> "Spotless"

Girls:

What do you feel they're missing? Stats/traits we've covered already... anything else?

Clients:

They are already fairly advanced, especially for the first version, but anything you want to see here?

I think this is it... Got something to add? Comment upon? Changing this stuff later in the development even if game is coded in Python is a bit tedious so we need to make some good decisions now! so later there is more time to make game look the best it possibly can and create UI that is intuitive and not a click'o'click micromanagement fetish :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:07:13 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
Sometimes they can spend money in shops buying new items, like girls in wm already do in their free time.

Would make more sense after a better items system is installed, but yeah, if a free girl gets enough gold, she can go out and get a dress, why not, it's really easy to code in and makes a great event. That got me thinking, maybe another good event would be a girl start using drugs if her joy is to low... you find out and can decide if you wish to send her to clinic or throw her out of your brothel after she's all 'used up'...

There is too much red cause I am kinda using this thread to keep track of ideas and concepts and thread is getting bigger and bigger, making stuff harder to find :)

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »
Do we need beauty like in WM as well? Then we calc looks from (beauty+charisma)/2?
Well, as wiki states, charisma is "compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others". In other words, it's not just beauty, it's more like power of character, power of mind. You might want to combine it with character stat though.

Do we need Happiness as a separate stat?
I guess if you want you could use happiness as complex stat which depends on joy, disposition, fatigue, money, e.t.c.
Oh, and joy's minimum should be -100, I think. Or from -50 to 50.

Maybe add obedience to it as well?
Well, if girl doesn't like cleaning, but she still does it because of high obedience with penalties to joy and disposition, it means she has strong character. However, if girls are not going to refuse any jobs except for occupation limitations, I'm not sure we need both stats at the same time. Maybe character for free girls and obedience for slaves?

Can anyone think of a good use for this that would justify spending time modifying this stat in functions?
Maybe it means girl's rage for pics like profileangry?  :)
Or since we already have joy and love, mood can be used for things like "in a mood for a work", "in a mood for a date", "in a mood for talking", "in a mood for a fight" and so on, if you want to code such things.

Maybe -500 so you can push her into hatred territory?
Definitely. I never understood why wm uses both love and hate, while max love usually means min hate and vice versa.

Since battle stats are mimicking those of the battle engine, there is not much that can be added here.
Magic defence? Luck(=critical hits)?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:11:27 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2013, 11:37:27 AM »
Well, as wiki states, charisma is "compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others". In other words, it's not just beauty, it's more like power of character, power of mind. You might want to combine it with character stat though.

Maybe for advanced version... but we need intelligence now I think. How and when to raise all of these stats is the real question.

I guess if you want you could use happiness as complex stat which depends on joy, disposition, fatigue, money, e.t.c.

You mean long term fatigue we talked about? Normal fatigue flies around all the time, difficult to have stats depending on it.

Oh, and joy's minimum should be -100, I think. Or from -50 to 50.

Maybe, not sure what we need this for thou. Joy is not difficult to control of in most games.

Well, if girl doesn't like cleaning, but she still does it because of high obedience with penalties to joy and disposition, it means she has strong character. However, if girls are not going to refuse any jobs except for occupation limitations, I'm not sure we need both stats at the same time. Maybe character for free girls and obedience for slaves?

I never said any jobs, I said jobs depending on her occupation, remember? Strippers for example will be a lot more willing to whore if required than warriors. Both are likely to refuse cleaning if they're free.

Maybe it means girl's rage for pics like profileangry?  :)
Or since we already have joy and love, mood can be used for things like "in a mood for a work", "in a mood for a date", "in a mood for talking", "in a mood for a fight" and so on, if you want to code such things.
Definitely. I never understood why wm uses both love and hate, while max love usually means min hate and vice versa.
Magic defence? Luck(=critical hits)?

Luck as a general stat is better... I don't remember if there were critical hits in the engine. I need to take a look as magic defense works.

We don't have love yet either. I really like 'in a mood for idea', prolly will add that to SimBro version.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:04:16 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »
               libido=0, Self-explanatory.
Maybe also nymphomania like in slavemaker? In wm popular whores often have 0 libido after working day, and you can't do anything except for constantly buying special items.

New stats will be required if we add new categories, but I forgot about striptease... maybe also 'Service' skill like in WM?
I don't even try throwing up ideas. Games like "valet pletey" (I'm still not sure about such translation) and newest slavemaker have more than I ever would be able to think up  :)

Anything else that would make sense? Anything forgotten?
Depends. Minor stats like fitness, cooking, singing, dancing if you feel like taking some ideas from other games.

Do we want more? Cleaning? Going to court? Hunting, Guarding or something else for Warrior types to do, especially before Arena is ready, or should we keep Warrior types out of the game before we move to Advanced version?
Cleaning (mostly for slaves) and guarding for warriors at least. Personally i never liked gangs as they being used in wm, I prefer wm ex girls guarding brothel. Others jobs can be added in advanced version.
Btw, what about exploring catacombs or just some wild places for warriors?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:04:33 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2013, 12:19:46 PM »
Maybe also nymphomania like in slavemaker? In wm popular whores often have 0 libido after working day, and you can't do anything except for constantly buying special items.

Screw Slavemaker ;) Girls will recover a good amount of libido on day switch and even more while resting.

I don't even try throwing up ideas. Games like "valet pletey" (I'm still not sure about such translation) and newest slavemaker have more than I ever would be able to think up  :)

Translates as Servant of Whips. It's kind of low on events thou and I got really bored with slavemaker long time ago, I've downloaded new version not to long ago but it seems the same with more girls...

Depends. Minor stats like fitness, cooking, singing, dancing if you feel like taking some ideas from other games.
Cleaning (mostly for slaves) and guarding for warriors at least. Personally i never liked gangs as they being used in wm, I prefer wm ex girls guarding brothel. Others jobs can be added in advanced version.

Right, so guarding and cleaning are in... Fitness = Constitution?   Singing + Dancing will increase Refinement for now.

Cooking, Signing, Dancing we leave for advanced version.

Btw, what about exploring catacombs or just some wild places for warriors?

Kinda goes without saying for advanced version. Do we need this for SimBro one?
Like what we're doing?