Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3789579 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: PyTFall Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »
Well, didn't get as much done today as planned but there has been some progress.

I now have a basic gameflow in my head for next day logic. I don't know how it all will pen out in live gaming but the idea is not to allow jobs be as simple as: Picture + Texts + Couple of events based on traits/chance. I want jobs to be a little more than just that and have effect on each other, creating some form of at least semi-believable environment.

Basically it looks like this:

Whores do their thing, they don't need any upgrades to the building.

Strippers: Can be activated after Strip Club is bought. They just earn tips, you get to keep 100% if they are slaves and a house percentage if they are hired, you also will pay their wage (or plain upkeep for salves). The trick for them is to attract clients into for bar-jobs and get clients libido higher for whores to take advantage of later. Strippers can perform several shows (each show costs 3 - 4 AP), if they do not have enough AP for the show, they do other stuff, like chatting with clients, resting or training in striptease.

Service girls: This is basically a form of combined Barmaid (After bar is bought), Cleaner, [Waitress and Lap-Dancer] - (After both Bar and Strip Club are bought). They take care of clients that come to the club to see strippers or just come to get drunk and a bit of chatting. Each of the tasks can be assigned to a girl separately if player wishes for specializations but Service Girl is an occupation (Class) and if it is also set as a a job, girls will prioritize on what needs to be done at the moment.

The better job your strippers are doing, the more clients come to the Bar and the more clients wish to get laid. Also the better job your service girls are doing the more clients there are wishing to get laid and more willing to pay something extra.

Basically if we did generic Pic - Event - Result jobs, this part would have been done already, but I want to try a more complicated approach. Right now base for stripjob's advanced logic is done and I am working on Service girls tasks. After that significant improvements to whore job have to be made. Dirt system for brothel also needs to be taken care of but I'll do that together with cleaning job. Small changes in items, dresses and some other things must be made, but those are insignificant.

After that is finished, I'll start with making game events/quests moddability more accessible and write a guide. Also maybe creating a paste bin for texts deposits.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
Spent 4 hours tracking down stupid error that kept crashing the game. Left '4' open inside a while loop, so every girl with 4 AP kept crashing it, must have tried two or three dozen things before got to the real issue.

On the other hand Alkion programmer coded an entire fanfic game in under a week (8 hours per day since he is on vacation right now). Presently he is putting some time into Alkion itself.

It can be downloaded here:

http://4otaku.ru/post/1993/

Even if you don't speak Russian, this is another example of what capabilities for events/quests in Alkion/PyTFall are.

============================
I'll keep on coding for the rest of the evening, maybe actually make some progress with service jobs.

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »
Service Girl is an occupation (Class)
Nice to hear that you decided to add such class. I was just thinking about characters which don't belong to warriors(=able to fight) or prostututes(=sexually liberated or don't care at all).

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2013, 02:36:05 PM »
Nice to hear that you decided to add such class. I was just thinking about characters which don't belong to warriors(=able to fight) or prostututes(=sexually liberated or don't care at all).

Yeah, I am coding it right now. If I can get it to be 'felt' in game as I am coding it, there is potencial. And we can always add a trait like 'Sexually uninhibited' and have girls with that trait pass class checks for sex related jobs/events. After the base code is done, it will become increasingly easier.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Re: SimBrothel: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #259 on: February 12, 2013, 04:05:24 AM »
Today I have nothing to do, so I decided to add a couple of traits  :)

Xela, are you going to use random girls eventually? I ask because traits like Your Daughter and Incest will be hard to use without them.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46:22 AM »
Today I have nothing to do, so I decided to add a couple of traits  :)

Xela, are you going to use random girls eventually? I ask because traits like Your Daughter and Incest will be hard to use without them.

We don't have pregnancy yet either and I've never used random girls in WM. In any case, there is nothing in PyTFall preventing use of random girls as far as I can tell but if you want to add those traits, make a separate file for the advanced version because SimBro version shouldn't have those by design.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »
I see. They'll wait until pregnancy support then, if game actually will have it. It was somewhat fun to "breed" characters with good traits combinations in wm though.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
I see. They'll wait until pregnancy support then, if game actually will have it. It was somewhat fun to "breed" characters with good traits combinations in wm though.

LoL

Just made the fastest ban ever, spambot barely left a message.

I don't mind preg support for WMlike version but we'll have to replace days with weeks or come up with some magical way like in Otherworld. In any case, for now we need to finish SimBro version. Barely had time to code in this week, maybe I'll manage to sneak in a couple of hours this weekend and I should have some free time tomorrow evening.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Unchained

« Reply #263 on: February 13, 2013, 08:32:56 PM »
We don't have pregnancy yet either and I've never used random girls in WM. In any case, there is nothing in PyTFall preventing use of random girls as far as I can tell but if you want to add those traits, make a separate file for the advanced version because SimBro version shouldn't have those by design.

Perhaps keep it simple and use pregnancy as a means of unlocking higher grade characters from the game? Any girl might have a chance of pregnancy that results in a child but has no actual use (see: NPC) for the player while the pregnancy of certain girls to be discovered during play unlocks those special characters (as daughters) after a set time frame?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2013, 01:59:47 AM »
Just made the fastest ban ever, spambot barely left a message.
I'm afraid they'll never give up  :(

How are you going to handle slavery? Do you need corresponding "Slave" trait like in wm?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2013, 08:23:39 AM »
I'm afraid they'll never give up  :(

How are you going to handle slavery? Do you need corresponding "Slave" trait like in wm?

Nope, we already have status in .xml. I am using it a lot in code. status = slave or status = free. I wrote somewhere about social status, we'll have two - three choices in SimBro version and 6 or 7 in WM version.

PS: There are less bots these days, that is for sure.

Perhaps keep it simple and use pregnancy as a means of unlocking higher grade characters from the game? Any girl might have a chance of pregnancy that results in a child but has no actual use (see: NPC) for the player while the pregnancy of certain girls to be discovered during play unlocks those special characters (as daughters) after a set time frame?

It's very easy to code in even for simpler version, I am not sure we need it right now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:30:30 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2013, 01:06:48 PM »
Nope, we already have status in .xml
Yeah, I know. I mean possible penalties to character and maybe upkeep. Are they coded within status as well?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2013, 01:25:24 PM »
Yeah, I know. I mean possible penalties to character and maybe upkeep. Are they coded within status as well?

Yeap, upkeep for slaves and free girls is being calculated by different formulas.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2013, 03:22:52 PM »
@Dev team

Wanted to bounce a couple of ideas of you guys:

1) Do we need categories for Service Jobs (Bar-Tender, Club Waitress, Cleaner. (I am thinking about leaving LapDancer for WMlike version))

2) Idea: For warrior types, except keeping unruly costumers under control, what about simple sponsoring of quests for the SimBro version. Basically you give an amount of money to a girl to cover travel expenses, equipment and so on and in return she goes on quest for a number of days. She can either return emptyhanded = you get nothing, or she can fulfill the mission, meaning you get back your investment and something on top. Can also be a part of missions set. That shouldn't be to difficult to program and will solve the issue on what to do with warriors before the Arena in WMlike version.

3) I want to handle missing picture categories by revering to profile category, a different approach is having a number of generic pics without faces and fall back to that (for example, if there is no pic in strip category, game can either show a generic strip pic or a pic from profile category of a girl). Personally I would vote for profile pics but we can go either way or even both ways, simply allowing to choose preferred way in gameoptions.

4) SFW (Safe for work). Do we need such a option? I vote against cause while it is easy to achieve with pics, it is very bothersome to get here with texts.

5) Storyline and endings. If you have any ideas for objectives for the game as a whole, put those in writing, maybe with some texts. I do not mean missions system here. What is needed: Story, simple Plot and a number of endings based on player's actions. Not to complex but not to simple either. And if possible futureproof, so not to much would have to be changed in WM version.

I am working on Service Job, trying to make sure it's smart and not counter intuitive. After that is finished, security job and schools and any other jobs we deem necessary for the SimBro version. With that done, I'll start making the game better moddable. I cannot give any timeframes cause there is no way of knowing how much time can be put into the code.
Like what we're doing?

Offline dorkosaurus

« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »

2) Idea: For warrior types, except keeping unruly costumers under control, what about simple sponsoring of quests for the SimBro version. Basically you give an amount of money to a girl to cover travel expenses, equipment and so on and in return she goes on quest for a number of days. She can either return emptyhanded = you get nothing, or she can fulfill the mission, meaning you get back your investment and something on top. Can also be a part of missions set. That shouldn't be to difficult to program and will solve the issue on what to do with warriors before the Arena in WMlike version.

wow that actually sounds like a really good idea.  it would remove some tedious battle mechanic that wouldn't really add to the gameplay while offering a wider spectrum of management simulation.  I think there is a lot of room for improvement on this idea though.  Perhaps factor in loyalty to see if they run away?

I'm thinking that there should probably be an option to send multiple people to the mission for bonus success. to give it more depth, perhaps factor in character stats for the amount of loot each person can haul back.  So needing to consider sending multiple people on the same mission for maximum haul vs sending them out on multiple missions would make some meaningful choices between exp rate and loot.