devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3788685 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: SimBrothel: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #330 on: February 21, 2013, 05:17:39 AM »
Does world/land/state/whatever where events take place have a name? Or any geographical details at all? Is it a planet in the first place, or some dimensional pocket?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:49:02 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #331 on: February 21, 2013, 06:03:50 AM »
Does world/land/state/whatever where events take place have a name? Or any geographical details at all? Is it a planet in the first place, or some dimensional pocket?

LoL

Definitely a planet :) There are mountains, forest, sea and a river nearby.

Maybe not to far from Crossgate. I want to call the city PyTFall unless better name pops up. Form of government = City State.

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #332 on: February 21, 2013, 06:19:34 AM »
OK then, I'll start to work on intro, basic plot and 3 simple endings.
Just in case, all pics I've found earlier except those in shared folder, a new link.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #333 on: February 21, 2013, 06:48:11 AM »
OK then, I'll start to work on intro, basic plot and 3 simple endings.
Just in case, all pics I've found earlier except those in shared folder, a new link.

Ok, don't forget to include logical conditions for those endings as well
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #334 on: February 21, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »
Check my folder for intro and ending pics and texts. Checking for errors and looking for even more suitable pics would be appreciated. Anyway, this is the best I can do with semantic parts of the plot.

I'm still thinking about intermediate staff, and I guess we still need a hidden stat reflecting player deeds, because if we will have plot-related quests, just calculation of free girls and slaves won't be enough. Besides, buying a slave and enslaving a free girl are two very different things.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:31:42 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #335 on: February 21, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »
Check my folder for intro and ending pics and texts. Checking for errors and looking for even more suitable pics would be appreciated. Anyway, this is the best I can do with semantic parts of the plot.

I'm still thinking about intermediate staff, and I guess we still need a hidden stat reflecting player deeds, because if we will have plot-related quests, just calculation of free girls and slaves won't be enough. Besides, buying a slave and enslaving a free girl are two very different things.

All in good time. About the plot, you're very close but not exactly on target (obviously you're not a mindreader :) ).

As for stats and new features... I am beginning to see why there is such a high 'mortality rate' of H-Sim projects, workload is monstrous. Lets take care of one thing at a time.

- Enslavement of free girls will only be available in WM version.

- We can have a hidden stat for player obviously, player class is still very weak. I'll get around to it eventually.

-There will be three kinds of 'quests':

#Story (Plot) quests (that can open unique endings and storylines) WM version only, SimBro endings based on stats and counters ONLY.

#Simple Quests (To get a girl, raid something, go on a hunt for something, win girl's favor)

#Game Quests (Tasks) (Have 2 brothels before day 20, Have a sex with city girl, Rank up three prostitutes to rank 3 in 30 days etc.)

- Basic endings should depend on simple stuff:

# Like if the player managed to buy and run best brothel in the city by endgame?
# Was able to train and employ 50 whores+strippers by endgame?
# Was able to train and  employ 50 warriors by endgame?
# Does he have 20 rank 9 whores in his brothels?
# Did he complete more than 15 quests before endgame?

- Advanced ending are the stuff you've suggested:

# Was the player able to complete "Slaver's" story path (Prolly along with some logic checks as well)
# Married a highborn daughter of city-counselor.
# Followed a storypath of one of the girls (Maybe if game gets a following someone will create a huge story line in SM style for one or more of the girls)
# Etc.

Basically an ending that requires more than just a check of stats at endgame, an ending that basically changes entire city law (I would like to allow player to continue playing after gameover if possible (Gameover doesn't blow up the city or something))
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #336 on: February 21, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »
# Like if the player managed to buy and run best brothel in the city by endgame?
How we'll determine endgame for such simple tasks? Don't tell me player will have limited time from the start, I hate such things  :(

Also, any notes about the intro?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #337 on: February 21, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »
How we'll determine endgame for such simple tasks? Don't tell me player will have limited time from the start, I hate such things  :(

Also, any notes about the intro?

Limited time is a part of usual SimBro design. I don't care much for that either but it is fairly difficult to code basic endings without it. Also Basic quests are close to impossible to design if there is no final day. I am open for a discussion on a different approach but if you want a gameplot based ending, two or three of those will take a VERY long time to build. A LOT longer than simple logical checks at a given day for sure.

About the intro,

I want to base the atmosphere in PyTFall on free cities from Songs Of Ice and Fire novels ( maybe you've seen Game Of Thrones (That's first part of SoI&F televised) or read the books). Unlike with Alkion, I do not want to take races, names, locations, systems from there because it limits the game, just a general ideas.

Must be changed in/worked into your Intro:

- Slave revolts are not frequent.
 - Not 90% of cityfolk are slaves... I wrote somewhere about many social statuses. There are plenty of paid workers, farmers and so on as well.
 - Slaves were trained to be soldiers and sold in large lots.
 - Slaves took part in Arena games, best fighters could win their freedom.
 - At one point someone organized a revolt that hasn't been seen in the past few centuries. Once it was started, it took a live of it's own. Identity of that person was never discovered. Spells that prevented few people who knew his true identity to reveal it were to powerful and couldn't be broken even by the best of mages.
 - Slave revolts were eventually extinguished. Many slaves were happy with their masters, especially those with skills in battle, magic, education, service who were very well treated and had a decent life of their own.
 - In order not to allow such revolts to repeat themselves, slaves that took sides of the City Council, were given freedom and while some left, overwhelming majority remained with their former master as free servants.
 - All mages on the rebel side got their magic sealed, skilled warriors sold off in cheap lots to the worst kinds of buyers.
 - New laws, no private slavetrainer is allowed to train slaves in magic or combat under the penalty of death. Special ministry was formed to train soldier slaves to sell in large lots as the city has for centuries.
 - Now private slavetrainers train pleasure slaves, teachers and servants that are also always in high demand.
 - Free warriors now fight in Arena, just as ferociously as before.

Maybe more, we don't have to write the perfect intro right now, it can be edited later, but this is what I had in mind. But like with everything else, it's an open matter for discussion.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:18:05 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline fires_flair

« Reply #338 on: February 21, 2013, 05:33:24 PM »
just my two cents, but I don't mind if the game has an official end time. But it's always better if I can continue playing after that date, and don't have to restart (unless I want to ;) ).
oh, for the quest, if they are "do ____ before ____" are you guys going to have a way to complete the quest early? (hate that about simbro)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #339 on: February 21, 2013, 05:52:04 PM »
just my two cents, but I don't mind if the game has an official end time. But it's always better if I can continue playing after that date, and don't have to restart (unless I want to ;) ).

That is a must as far as I am concerned. Also there is another approach: Lets say that player is given 300 days (or 400, 500, 600, whatever) to accomplish the tests for basic endings. On that day game, instead of jumping the label to main menu, game sends you to another label that checks your game progress and achievements and displays a corresponding ending event. After that it offers you to restart or to continue playing allowing to achieve more complicated endgame (like a gamelong story based quest when that is available and so on.) My main objective right now is to complete a simple SimBro version with simple endings and release a final product (Final 1.0 version of SimBrothel: PyTFall). After that development team can take that solid codebase and add amazing game elements one after another while the community builds girlpacks ans quests.

oh, for the quest, if they are "do ____ before ____" are you guys going to have a way to complete the quest early? (hate that about simbro)

Yeap, it will be like in SimBro 1x, you can complete the quest even on the same say you received it (lets say objective is to shag a city girl (time given = 12 days) and you already have built an excellent relationship with several city girls. So you just go, find one, take her on a date spending couple of APs and some cash.. one thing leads to another and you can just finish the quest on the same day you received it)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #340 on: February 22, 2013, 12:17:39 AM »
Limited time is a part of usual SimBro design. I don't care much for that either but it is fairly difficult to code basic endings without it.
Collect a really huge amount of money, destroy all competitors, have 80% of citizens as your regular customers. Even complete any 3 or 4 of the tasks you suggested as basic endings requirements (things like if the player managed to buy and run best brothel in the city).

I wrote somewhere about many social statuses. There are plenty of paid workers, farmers and so on as well.
Yeah, I forgot about it. My bad.

- Slaves were trained to be soldiers and sold in large lots.
 - Slaves took part in Arena games, best fighters could win their freedom.
I don't know. Isn't it just plainly stupid to make a lot of soldiers from slaves? Even in ancient Rome people were smarter. One thing is to train them for arena or as personal mages/bodyguards, but as an army? You might as well have breakfast on a barrel of gunpowder every day.

Slave revolts were eventually extinguished. Many slaves were happy with their masters, especially those with skills in battle, magic, education, service who were very well treated and had a decent life of their own.
And we have girls from hundreds of different worlds because..?
That's why I use abnormal weapon (and of course because it sounds cool :) ). WM has infinite catacombs (who knows what is going on there), in slavemaker almost all of them live in the same world (I suspect it's not a planet in our understanding, but some kind of infinite plane), and otherworld doesn't need any comments.

I want to base the atmosphere in PyTFall on free cities from Songs Of Ice and Fire novels
Maybe you'll write text for intro youtself  since you already have completely ready concept? I think it will save us a lot of time, after all I'm not a mindreader, just as you told.
I'll find suitable pics for it then.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:23:16 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #341 on: February 22, 2013, 04:39:08 AM »
Collect a really huge amount of money, destroy all competitors, have 80% of citizens as your regular customers. Even complete any 3 or 4 of the tasks you suggested as basic endings requirements (things like if the player managed to buy and run best brothel in the city).

LoL

You really like throwing insane percentages like 80% of citizens as regular brothel clients... or 90% of population as slaves. Lets keep these number in checks...

I don't know. Isn't it just plainly stupid to make a lot of soldiers from slaves? Even in ancient Rome people were smarter. One thing is to train them for arena or as personal mages/bodyguards, but as an army? You might as well have breakfast on a barrel of gunpowder every day.

LoL

That is how two great cities were conquered in SoIF, someone who opposed slavery bought a lot of 10k soldier slaves and used those to conquer those cities... People tend to get careless when they go without troubles for a long while.

Romans were not stupid btw.

But it's a very profitable business that they've managed to keep under control for centuries. One revolt, even a bad one, shouldn't change that. Just making authorities more cautious.

And we have girls from hundreds of different worlds because..?

That is up for grabs, I don't really care why. We can simply not offer an explanation at all or come up with some BS story. In all seriousness, character in most H-Sim that come from famous games/anime simply have loosely based personalities on their actual counterparts from the series. If players of SM/OtherWorld/WM believe that characters behaviors are well mimicked in those games if their personalities are taken from the series exactly as they're there, these players are just stupid...

Most girls used in this games would die fighting or commit suicide long before allowing themselves to be enslaved or whored out regardless of how well you manage your brothel or training business. Actually allowing themselves to be enslaved isn't even an option in many cases.

What I am trying to say is that we do not have to be exact about this issue or how it's happening, or how these girls came to be in PyTFall. Just as long as their personality traits and looks are the same, players will feel familiarity to these character and be interested in a spin writers/modders/devs take on them.

Maybe you'll write text for intro youtself  since you already have completely ready concept? I think it will save us a lot of time, after all I'm not a mindreader, just as you told.
I'll find suitable pics for it then.

I gave out more than enough information on the world, write it if you have time. If I write it myself, it will be a lot later. I skipped coding yesterday so I am planning to put a few hours in it tonight.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #342 on: February 22, 2013, 05:25:50 AM »
Romans were not stupid btw.
They were pretty careless about their slaves, but not as careless as you suggest people of PyTFall should be. Even so, they had major revolts, but thanks to their army they suppressed slaves with quite significant losses.
Imagine if they had army of wannabe rebels, trained slaves, not free people. Even if they lost, Rome would lie in ruins. As well as PyTFall.
I know this is just a game, a fiction. But still I don't believe it. Maybe because I didn't read SoIF, but read some history books, who knows. Never mind me  :)

I gave out more than enough information on the world, write it if you have time. If I write it myself, it will be a lot later. I skipped coding yesterday so I am planning to put a few hours in it tonight.
It's not about the information, you know. You asked for atmosphere of novels I never read (and I don't like its screen version, to be honest). This is just impossible, especially for non-writer. I guess I could try to read it, but naturally it will take some time, and there is no guarantee I like it.

So if anyone feels like writing intro and already read SoIF, please go ahead and do it
 8)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:05:52 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #343 on: February 22, 2013, 06:19:16 AM »
They were pretty careless about their slaves, but not as careless as you suggest people of PyTFall should be. Even so, they had major revolts, but thanks to their army they suppressed slaves with quite significant losses.
Imagine if they had army of wannabe rebels, trained slaves, not free people. Even if they lost, Rome would lie in ruins. As well as PyTFall.
I know this is just a game, a fiction. But still I don't believe it. Maybe because I didn't read SoIF, but read some history books, who knows. Never mind me  :)
It's not about the information, you know. You asked for atmosphere of novels I never read (and I don't like its screen version, to be honest). This is just impossible, especially for non-writer. I guess I could try to read it, but naturally it will take some time, and there is no guarantee I like it.

So if anyone feels like writing intro and already read SoIF, please go ahead and do it
 8)

Just for the record, the only things I want to take from SoIF is what I've stated in the thread. Anything more than that will limit the game, like with Alkion. If anyone wants to write introduction, it's even better because some good stuff may be added to the story that I would never consider :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:25:15 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: February 22, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
Right,

Well, I have the rest of the evening off so plan is to get some good work done on the code. Whore job looks much better now, in fact I think it is very close to where I want it to be for the SimBro version.

I am getting really sick with advanced logic so I think creating schools and school screen will be a nice distraction, especially since crew has gathered so many beautiful pics!

==================================================
It's not like I am complaining or anything but what happened with pics for Obedience and XXX school :D ?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 01:32:28 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?