devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3789690 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: SimBrothel: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #510 on: March 06, 2013, 04:54:35 PM »
Animations used in battle engines are made with 5 - 6 lines of code and called with one
Oh yeah, that reminds me, since it's not supports any moving pics, it can't be easy to create magic effects in battle? You can't just find some random gif with a fire in the internet and throw it in an enemy, after all.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #511 on: March 06, 2013, 05:11:56 PM »
Oh yeah, that reminds me, since it's not supports any moving pics, it can't be easy to create magic effects in battle? You can't just find some random gif with a fire in the internet and throw it in an enemy, after all.

Have you ever seen a game that could?

You need a number of images to make an animation. There was a good possibility for 'Light' spell in one of the RPG's you've ripped while looking for pictures of items.

===================================================================

And I am done for tonight, maybe not 500 lines but fairly close to that and I see a clear code-structure for basic finances logging and wage system that we're going for!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:09:28 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #512 on: March 07, 2013, 03:51:10 AM »
Have you ever seen a game that could?
Well, the game you mentioned widely uses small, short movies with transparent background for many battle animations. I had no idea that this is possible until I've ripped it.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #513 on: March 07, 2013, 04:03:02 AM »
Well, the game you mentioned widely uses small, short movies with transparent background for many battle animations. I had no idea that this is possible until I've ripped it.

That you could prolly use in RenPy, but animations would be better :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #514 on: March 07, 2013, 05:12:22 AM »

Here is a thought... open .gif in photoshop, you should get a number of layers, save those one by one as .png files and we can animate those with RenPy :)

==============================
Here, I've ripped a .gif and loaded it into RenPy (First animation I've ever made by the way, never used those prior, only read about):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43556362/Dice%20Animation-1.0-win.rar

It is possible to move around entire screens with one/two lines of code. When I get around to screen design, idea is to add one of the girls pictures to startscreen and have another screen with nicks of development team members that "slides" from "out of bounds" if player hovers with mouse over the girls picture :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:34:04 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #515 on: March 07, 2013, 07:26:07 AM »
Here, I've ripped a .gif and loaded it into RenPy
Nice  :)

I've found another RenPy game on Rutracker, "Science Girls". It has a similar battle system, take a look at it if you want to, maybe you can rip some good resources from it. I failed to find out where it stores animation and sounds.

Offline GonDra

« Reply #516 on: March 07, 2013, 07:58:44 AM »
I don't see any new  arguments there. Maybe you forgot to save it or something?

Dammit, I usually hit the save shortcut so often unconsciously that I didn't bother to check if I actually had saved it before closing it.
Basically I argued that you wouldn't let a girl with such a limited understanding of 'organics' as your rest text implies near customers, besides that I can't think of any robot girls that would do something like that in anime or manga, most of them are depicted as very kind and aware of their powers. Besides that Artificial body can also be used to describe a cyborgs body, so you can't assume that a girl has no knowledge of 'organics'.

EDIT: Also the formating of the trait file xml looks fucked up in my editor of choice (notepad++).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:03:28 AM by GonDra »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #517 on: March 07, 2013, 07:58:56 AM »
Nice  :)

I've found another RenPy game on Rutracker, "Science Girls". It has a similar battle system, take a look at it if you want to, maybe you can rip some good resources from it. I failed to find out where it stores animation and sounds.

I've checked that game out long time ago to learn about how it was coded, is that a Demo or Full version on RuTracker??? Take a look inside and see if .rpa file is bigger than 16mb... All pictures are in RenPyAtchive file but it's not difficult to extract using RenPy, I have only a demo version and it is of somewhat limited use (there is a possibility for lighting effect there however... also couple of hex circles)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:01:23 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #518 on: March 07, 2013, 08:16:35 AM »
I've checked that game out long time ago to learn about how it was coded, is that a Demo or Full version on RuTracker?
That's not a demo, at least version for windows. Just follow the instructions in "Tabletko" folder, if you know what I mean  :)

Besides that Artificial body can also be used to describe a cyborgs body, so you can't assume that a girl has no knowledge of 'organics'.
Make sense. I guess we need a trait like Artificial Intelligence for pure robots and artificial, but organic characters then.

Also the formating of the trait file xml looks fucked up in my editor of choice (notepad++).
I use usual notepad. I'm not a big fan of notepad+ after it showed a complete inability to work stably with hex files even with plugins.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #519 on: March 07, 2013, 08:44:56 AM »
That's not a demo, at least version for windows. Just follow the instructions in "Tabletko" folder, if you know what I mean  :)

I do not have account on that tracker. I have no idea what you mean :(

Can you up that game to dropbox? I'll copy it and you can delete it afterwards... Just check if .rpa file is not the same one I have (bit smaller than 16mb) and I actually only need the archive.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #520 on: March 07, 2013, 08:51:17 AM »
If you mean sg.rpa, then its size is more than 32 Mb. I've put installer and, um, other files in shared folder.
---------------------
Or maybe we should use trait like Unemotional, not just for robots, but for all Rei-like characters.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #521 on: March 07, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »
If you mean sg.rpa, then its size is more than 32 Mb. I've put installer and, um, other files in shared folder.
---------------------
Or maybe we should use trait like Unemotional, not just for robots, but for all Rei-like characters.

Ok, the one I have is half that size...
Like what we're doing?

Offline GonDra

« Reply #522 on: March 07, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »
Unemotional is a good name for the trait.

I use usual notepad. I'm not a big fan of notepad+ after it showed a complete inability to work stably with hex files even with plugins.
Hmm... I never need to work with hex files, I fell in love with it because of the syntax highlighting and auto completion features, probably saved my ass a few times when I was late with homework (and that one Test where I fell asleep for half an hour).

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #523 on: March 07, 2013, 09:45:54 AM »
Unemotional is a good name for the trait.
Btw, which of the names would be better, Unemotional or Emotionless?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:49:25 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #524 on: March 07, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »
Btw, which of the names would be better, Unemotional or Emotionless?

I like 'Emotionless' or 'Impersonal', description should say "Almost completely devoid of emotion", cause even Rei expressed emotion on several occasions.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:26:57 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?