devolution

Author Topic: <-- Archived --> (Battle Engine and Combat)  (Read 117202 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: Battle Engine and Combat
« Reply #255 on: March 22, 2015, 02:59:06 PM »
I told you, we could use strings like [poison, 20] meaning -20 hp per turn. And vice versa for regeneration.

? In the BE? I've done something similar, it will work for now. We will most likely change HP/MP ranges in the future. For now I am just trying to make sure that the core of the BE is working, damage calculations are not hard to add later, prolly even easier.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »
Yup, in the BE. Btw it could be relative values to cover possible range changes. Like [poison, 1] means -1% of max health.

Also, I think I'll create sevaral types of poisons (poison, deadly poison, spider poison, etc) and use them for various mobs instead of setting poison power manually for everyone.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2015, 03:18:20 PM »
Yup, in the BE. Btw it could be relative values to cover possible range changes. Like [poison, 1] means -1% of max health.

Also, I think I'll create sevaral types of poisons (poison, deadly poison, spider poison, etc) and use them for various mobs instead of setting poison power manually for everyone.

Kewl. For now I'll just create basic poison skill and make sure that it's working. Later next week I'll make sure that other skills can be created from it with ease. I need to figure out how to work color channel manipulation in Ren'Py. I know all the functions and how to use them but not what values to provide as arguments to gradually color sprites green and red for special effects. It will take a few hours of trail and error next weekend I expect...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:20:14 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2015, 05:51:36 PM »
@Dark

I am not sure it's a good idea to name base spells creatively, it looks weird and confusing as hell. If you don't like the a/ra/ga FF styling, "Name" + 1/2/3/4 is prolly a better bet. Right now I cannot figure out what's what at all even with descriptions and reading 10 descriptions if you have 10 spells in a game where we potentially may have dozens if not hundreds eventually, at least base spells should be ordered.

IMO anyway, wonder if anyone else has opinions on this...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #259 on: April 06, 2015, 03:24:14 AM »
Well, we always can sort them by element and power in characters gui, this way preventing any possible confusion. But I don't mind using simplier names (not a/ra/ga though).

Offline BlackWolf Inc.

« Reply #260 on: April 06, 2015, 04:41:27 AM »
Fire Emblem uses name prefixes for basic spells, in that case it would be for example:
Thunder -> Elthunder ->Arcthunder

Just  an alternative for you guys.
Don't look at me like that! I found 'em that way....

Now no-one else has to die...
unless I think of another reason.

If found, please return to Miss Y. Rhul.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #261 on: April 06, 2015, 05:07:51 AM »
Yup, that's much better.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2015, 06:03:49 AM »
I'll think about how we can sort them, there are loads of elements, might be even more in the future. When you asked me about ga/ra style, I assumed you wanted to fall back to "Fire 1/2/3/4" style, not come up with unique names.

I cannot do anything until late evening anyway. My first basetraits test yesterday went well by the way :)
Like what we're doing?