devolution

Author Topic: On the Torture button  (Read 7307 times)

Offline NuMysterio

On the Torture button
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:51:13 PM »
Might as well add the first topic, though I did post it on the old forums, but no replies.  So again:

Since the torture and talk buttons weren't merged for the last update, let me make a suggestion reguarding the torture button:Make it a multiple choice option like the talk button. Relabel it, say, "Punish" and add some scaled punishments/tortures.Like say, the weakest one would be "Tickle Torture," which while certianly evil, won't hurt the girl or make her hate/fear the player, but should reduce rebelliousness. Next highest would be something like "Spanking" and on and up from there to, well the most extreme, out right killing her I suppose (that's something that would have a global effect on all girls, I would think).Then you can leave the talk button more or less alone (still rename it "Interact") and allow a few extra options.

Incidentally, I assume it's all hard coded, but could the talk options menu be redone so it is modable? I think that was the original intent, but I'll be damned if I can find where the files for it are.

I would also like to see some stronger relationships between the traits and how the girls react to the player. A dependent girl, for example, should gain more happiness from the comfort option than regular girls, and much more than one with the independent trait. I know some of the traits are just straight up fetish options, but I would like to see a stronger relationship between the traits and the stats, which I really don't see right now.

And finally, I think the number of starting traits for any girl (even the mod girls) should be limited to a set number. There are a lot of the user made girls that have 20 traits (or so it seems) and that seems a touch excessive. After you get the girl you'll add traits, but I don't want to START with all these traits everytime. Just my thought anyway.

Offline letmein

Re: On the Torture button
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:52:18 AM »
I agree to most of this, or at least the basic gist.

I'm not a fan of making things "bigger, better, more, always" (and I posted to that effect as 'Guest'), but the current level of PC-girl interaction could be improved upon a bit.  I wouldn't necessarily want 18 different kinds of interaction, but having 5-ish instead of the current two would be an improvement in my eyes.

As for traits, I agree here too.  While I certainly understand that modders simply want to be accurate, I think that having girls start with 12+ traits off the bat devalues traits overall.  I think a limit of seven or eight on initial girl creation would be a good balance of high customization and general trait balancing.

In that same vein, there are a couple traits that are obviously more powerful or unique, and should maybe count as more than one (is you limit them).  Obvious candidates are incorporeal, construct, and perhaps optimistic - I'm not exactly positive about how "strong" these exactly are.  I do know that incorporeal is amazingly powerful, maybe even unbalanced, and has a tendency to annoy when you have that girl in your dungeon you just can't get rid of...     so again, I agree that traits should perhaps be considered a bit for balance.  Maybe weaken incorp's effect, or strengthen some other ones.
Still lurking.

Offline Alienhand

• Beware....
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 04:20:22 AM »
I mainly agree with NuMysterio a few more options maybe would be nice, like 5 or such, of course still with the good guy/bad guy-feature. I know you have to do all the work for this but you asked for suggestions  :D besides, I already postet it as guest in the other forum, I really think you should chance the possibility to talk, punish or even rape girls when they're already dead.... or at least the girls shouldn't react on it like if they would be still alive.  ;)

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »
I don't know how useful it'd be to torture dead girls but to each his own I guess.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with all of the above. However, and this may not be directly torture button related... but I'd like to see some options where you're not completely sure what truly is right or wrong. This will probably be a horrible example but say someone was on life support and barely alive. Would it be more humane to pull the plug or not? Whether these choices come up later via scripts or catacombs crawling or what have you.

What these choices would consist of is beyond me. But say a girl is homeless and comes to you for aid. You let her in, you take care of her and then a couple days later she robs you blind and runs off. Maybe kills some of your goons or attacks the player. There's really no actual consequences for your actions yet. You repeatedly rape a girl with a high rebellion and combat she should have a chance to kill you. You don't discipline a girl with fleet of foot and she'll steal from you. There's multiple traits that can be added into the list.

And I have no idea how it would be implemented but... perhaps you could actually make girls that are constructs with one of your buildings? Allowing you to set their personality, traits, and stats. However the more you add the more you spend. Traits depending on what they do would be more expensive... while other traits like "sexy air" or "great figure" would be more random. (Say they can only have a max of 15 or so) You can choose 10 while 5 more general ones would be random once built.

Though, I could honestly do without that last one. I think the game needs more player/girl interaction like the above posters than anything else.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline NuMysterio

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 12:01:35 PM »
I'm not a fan of making things "bigger, better, more, always" (and I posted to that effect as 'Guest'), but the current level of PC-girl interaction could be improved upon a bit.  I wouldn't necessarily want 18 different kinds of interaction, but having 5-ish instead of the current two would be an improvement in my eyes.

Agreed on limiting it, I was just throwing some ideas out.  I would say 5-7 different ones, with half being more "good" and the other half being "evil" with one neutral option.

I really think you should chance the possibility to talk, punish or even rape girls when they're already dead.... or at least the girls shouldn't react on it like if they would be still alive.  ;)

Not touching that one.

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 01:22:38 PM »
I really think you should chance the possibility to talk, punish or even rape girls when they're already dead.... or at least the girls shouldn't react on it like if they would be still alive.  ;)

Not touching that one.

I think he made a typoe there :), change, not chance. If I can recall someone said that he was able to "interact" with dead girl, on following day her corpse disappeared, but while it was still in dungeon interaction was possible.

Offline Tyrian

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »
The talk options are already moddable. I used the script editor to mess with the out-of-dungeon talk menu a few updates ago when tiredness and constitution were being reworked to give an option to increase constitution and decrease tiredness so girls wouldn't hit 60 tiredness per action. I only know a bit of computer science, but it wouldn't be too hard for me (or someone else) to add some simple things to the dungeon menu to give torture options or different interactions.

The script editor's under docs&tools in every release, and you can either edit the talk menus directly in resources/scripts, or copy it over so you have something to revert back to without redownloading the whole game again.

The kinds of things I see that the script editor could do are:
-Add new choices/text
-Change a girl's stats (Possibly including health-100 to kill her, I suppose)
-Change player's alignment
-Conditions like checking a girl's stats or traits
-Add new girls (Dunno how applicable that is to this discussion)
-Game over (Could be used if you want to make a scenario where trying to torture a rebellious strong merciless adventurer assassin kills you or something, I guess)
-Set flags (Conditions unrelated to stats, if you want a big dialog where your previous choices in it matter)
-Give money or unspecified items
-Skill checks (Not checking for a specific number, I guess it'd be like how defending yourself from rivals doesn't work every time if your gang isn't great and you're out of heal potions)
-Unique meet-in-town conversations like Cammy White's (I'm assuming here, and I haven't used any custom girls to see if someone else has done this before)

Stuff I don't think it can do:
-Affect the torture button (It's unrelated and has no script to edit)
-Affect dead girls (I haven't tried, but I doubt the game lets you talk to dead girls)
-Affect other girls (Maybe if you got creative with global flags, but I'd just go ahead and say it can't)
-Add traits

I'd be willing to try something if anybody has suggestions, I've got a lot of free time.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »
I did try to post this on the old board a couple of days ago, but the post must of gotten eaten by the board monster. Firstly, yes it is possible it mod the talk button already, what I've planned is to remove the torture button and rename the talk button to interact (on the girl details screen and the dungeon screen). The script behind these two buttons will be only slightly different but will have 2 versions, a clean and a naughty version. The naughty version will be installed by default but the clean version is there as an extra add on.

Actions for clean version
       - Scold
       - Chat

- about general stuff
              - about how she feels about her life
              - about how she feels towards player
              - About how she feels about other girls
       - Ask
              - To have sex
              - Make Love (only when girl loves player)
              - Sex with another girl
              - Sex with a beast
              - Bondage Session
              - Blowjob
                     - Deep throat
                     - Regular
              - Anal
              - Threesome (one when player has at least 1 other girl)
              - Group Session (only when player has at least 2 other girls)
        - Force
              - To have sex
              - Sex with another girl
              - Sex with a beast
              - Bondage Session
              - Blowjob
                     - Deep throat
                     - Regular
              - Anal

Actions for naughty version
         - Torture
         - Chat

- about general stuff
                  - about how she feels about her life
                  - about how she feels towards player
                  - About how she feels about other girls
         - Scold
         - Ask
                  - To have sex
                  - Make Love (only when girl loves player)
                  - Sex with another girl
                  - Sex with a beast
                  - Bondage Session
                  - Blowjob
                           - Deep throat
                           - Regular
                  - Anal
         - Force
                  - Rape
                  - Sex with another girl
                  - Sex with a beast
                  - Bondage Session
                  - Blowjob
                           - Deep throat
                           - Regular
                  - Anal
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline sirurza

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »
I want to see these changes soon. That nerves

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 05:40:26 PM »
hehe, won't be this week. Still got many script functions needed to be coded.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline Alienhand

• Beware....
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 04:16:09 AM »

Not touching that one.

I think he made a typoe there :), change, not chance. If I can recall someone said that he was able to "interact" with dead girl, on following day her corpse disappeared, but while it was still in dungeon interaction was possible.

Yeah, it was DEFINITELY a typos! And no I'm NOT for raping dead girls!  :o  Anyways, I'm really lookin forward for the new changes necno will do in the future and I think its the right way to make this game even better.

exodia91

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 03:29:54 AM »
And finally, I think the number of starting traits for any girl (even the mod girls) should be limited to a set number. There are a lot of the user made girls that have 20 traits (or so it seems) and that seems a touch excessive. After you get the girl you'll add traits, but I don't want to START with all these traits everytime. Just my thought anyway.

If you don't like em, don't use em, but don't try to put restraints on what we can make, if we wanna make a girl with 20 traits and play with her, that's our right, we're not making you use them.

Offline letmein

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »
Fine, fine...  it was just a thought.  I don't know where most of the girls come from anyway, so the giant list of traits doesn't make me think "oh, that's *exactly* how I would describe this chick!", but rather "huh, this list is a lot longer than the one for those other girls...  and why the hell does everyone seem to have either Big Boobs or Lolita?"       But I would like to say thanks to the guys who are modding packs, because it's a lot of work but it's also making the game better.
Still lurking.