devolution

Author Topic: <-- Archived --> (Items Concept)  (Read 76315 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: Items Concept
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »
Alright, list of occupations only then. Btw, if we'll allow slaves to go shopping (for example, in SM they can have pocket money, and why would you need pocket money if you can't go shopping), they will need a separate a algorithm.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 04:28:13 PM »
Alright, list of occupations only then. Btw, if we'll allow slaves to go shopping (for example, in SM they can have pocket money, and why would you need pocket money if you can't go shopping), they will need a separate a algorithm.

To many things come to mind.. it will depend on what post work events we will agree upon.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 03:39:05 PM »
Right, back to locations.
I've found several backgrounds for cafe today (for 'food' type items), just take the ones that you think are most appropriate for the setting.
I've also made three pngs with girls; since usually there are several waitresses in a cafe, one of them should be randomly chosen each time the player goes there.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 03:55:10 PM »
Right, back to locations.
I've found several backgrounds for cafe today (for 'food' type items), just take the ones that you think are most appropriate for the setting.
I've also made three pngs with girls; since usually there are several waitresses in a cafe, one of them should be randomly chosen each time the player goes there.

Oki, I'll see if I can code that in tomorrow, otherwise I'm sure to have time this weekend.

//PS: You can keep on looking :) I am sure I'll be able to put in more than one shop into the game. Also service girls should be able to work in the cafe and other locations (in the future), your waitresses will be a backup for now, I am actually thinking using random girls to work in most locations if game runs out of unique once, they will have plenty of pics for interactions and events. It's all part of my plan to run an interactive city, not to hard to code, girls will have jobs/income/place to live governed by one large PytfallWorld() class using very simple functions to set them to work and add random girls to take all job positions as game requires until we run out of locations. Alternately we'll create simpler NPC class to use in events and places where ingame girls are not adequate.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:43:54 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »
Let's clarify the level of technology in the setting again. Not the level of items you can find (eventually you can find pretty much anything thanks to universal justifications like remains of an ancient civilization or portals to other worlds  :) ), but the level of technology used in everyday life by citizens and government.

Dirigibles, cars, hovercrafts? Simple firearms, gauss rifles, plasma turrets on the perimeter of the city for protection from monsters? Coal stoves, hydropower, cold fusion reactors?
Or we talk about fantasy civilization based on the magic without real need in any devices?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »
Let's clarify the level of technology in the setting again. Not the level of items you can find (eventually you can find pretty much anything thanks to universal justifications like remains of an ancient civilization or portals to other worlds  :) ), but the level of technology used in everyday life by citizens and government.

Dirigibles, cars, hovercrafts? Simple firearms, gauss rifles, plasma turrets on the perimeter of the city for protection from monsters? Coal stoves, hydropower, cold fusion reactors?
Or we talk about fantasy civilization based on the magic without real need in any devices?

I figure the same setting as WM? Fairly low-tech - high-magic kind of deal.

Had an idea for game opening, player starts off as a orphan, remembering only what his mother (before she died from some illness when he was 5). She worked as a prostitute in a brothel in town of Crossgate and got pregnant by the owner of the large chain of brothels there. After he was killed by local ganglord, she fled to PyTFall with her child. Than player chooses from a number of lifepaths deciding on class/starting stats. Wishing to follow in father footsteps, you've been trying to collect some gold to start off a business of your own but never managed to do that. After class/events are chosen, you meet a masked stranger giving you a strange artifact without any explanations. You then have to go to one of the shops we've created, figure out that it's worth quite a bit of money and sell it to get the cash in order to start your first business. Later in the game you'd get a quest to retrieve the artifact and get access to catacombs (instant travel instead of wasting AP).

Would make a nice connection...
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 01:25:32 AM »
Most games don't care to explain that. I like your approach here. The story is nice  :)

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 07:19:35 AM »
I figure the same setting as WM?
At the same time you mentioned FF7-like setting once. And they do have machinguns and robots.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »
At the same time you mentioned FF7-like setting once. And they do have machinguns and robots.

I've also mentioned (several times) that trying to predefine the world and to many rules of that world in any detail will f*ck us up before we know it. Unless you're feeling like laying out a concept for world design, we'd be better off leaving these questions unanswered until game design forces our hand.

What shop/items are you having trouble placing at the moment?
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 08:10:57 AM »
I have guns on some girl pictures and battle sprites, because I was expecting use of firearms together with swords and magic in combat, based on that FF VII setting mentioned earlier. Will that be a problem now? (I don't know much about WM world)

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »
Well, if someone is really bothered by those pictures not matching the supposed background of the game, he can go find better ones. I would not worry to much about it, stuff like that should be easy to change. If you have picture sets that heavily incorporate elements that will probably not match the game background, you should IMHO not spend to much time on them now as they might not be too useful later on. Apart from excluding extreme cases like that, I don't think we should precisely define our game world yet. If some images have guns, you can say those are rare artifacts if your world is not supposed to have them.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »
We also have aliens and androids, guns are not the biggest issue. I see no reason in defining the world boundaries at this stage of development. If we must make a choice, mine would be to allow guns but agree that their power is comparable to other ingame weapons (FF style).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 09:21:59 AM »
I've also mentioned (several times) that trying to predefine the world and to many rules of that world in any detail will f*ck us up before we know it.
I'm looking for backgrounds to many locations right now, not somewhere in the future.

Unless you're feeling like laying out a concept for world design, we'd be better off leaving these questions unanswered until game design forces our hand.
I like Otherworld/Jack-o-nine-tails style, where game worlds are chaotic enough from the viewpoint of stability of the space to not have any restrictions if you do not want them right now.

What shop/items are you having trouble placing at the moment?
Many good, beautiful backgrounds for various loactions have traces of technologies. Like I said, dirigibles, cars, hovercrafts, etc.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 10:53:32 AM »
Lets avoid those for now like Valet Pletej/OW do. We'll see what happens after we start designing more content.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 01:07:04 PM »
Shops and clerks for them are done for now. We have cafe, witch hut, workshop and general shop (let's use these names for location field as well). I expect some kind of hangout or black market for drugs and maybe laboratory or another scientific-looking place for more advanced items like guns in the future.
The next are items hunting locations.

Besides, I think that an addict to drugs loly that had sex with the devil is overkill even in hentai game, so I've found a more adult witch.

Also we might need another type of items in the future, quest items. I propose that they cannot be equipped or used, but still could give bonuses or penalties to the owner (if were created with bonuses or penalties), and they cannot be sold, thrown out, given to someone, etc. except for quest cases.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:09:33 PM by DarkTl »