Author Topic: Other Games Thread  (Read 416972 times)

Offline Kenki

Re: Other Games Thread
« Reply #465 on: July 13, 2010, 12:10:09 PM »
"Phone Home"?  You mean the feature that checks back with the Creator to see if a new update has been released so the game can tell you its out-of-date?

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #466 on: July 13, 2010, 12:12:30 PM »
It's an "update check" for your convenience. And for your convenience, there's no option to turn it off.

Credit is due to the man for the work he's put into slavemaker, but this really is a game breaker for me. Although if I get bored, I might pull the actionscript from it and see if I can make a non-phoning version.

"Phone Home"?  You mean the feature that checks back with the Creator to see if a new update has been released so the game can tell you its out-of-date?

That's the one.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #467 on: July 13, 2010, 12:17:32 PM »
If it is just an update check, I can live with it, main becuase I am horrible about making sure things are updated

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #468 on: July 13, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
I don't mind the update check, but why not make it opt-in? Or even opt-out? That's what I can't understand.

I can only think he's collecting IP addresses, maybe usage patterns as well.

Offline Bluebeholder

« Reply #469 on: July 13, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »
Perhaps, more innocently, he just wants the ego boost of knowing how popular it is?
Still thanks for the warning that the "Phone-Home" is in there.

Offline SotF

« Reply #470 on: July 13, 2010, 06:42:58 PM »
In the update blog for Slavemaker, it lists the phone home feature. More of a case about reading what the update does before installing it

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #471 on: July 14, 2010, 02:41:13 AM »
On a side note slightly off topic from the current discussion but befitting the overall thread... Renhill is one of three, I just uploaded it first cuz it's the smallest in matters of overall file size, but, uploading the other two parts soon.  Also, I know of no translation for it, and I haven't messed with outside translation programs too much.  If somebody reads Japanese and can make an English guide for it, I'll gladly host it on my server.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #472 on: July 14, 2010, 06:27:18 AM »
In the update blog for Slavemaker, it lists the phone home feature. More of a case about reading what the update does before installing it

Which is, in fact, how I found out about it. My concern is that there's no way to disable it other than "just firewall it".

What am I supposed to do? Block firefox from accessing the internet?

Offline Nalkyr Maloth

« Reply #473 on: July 14, 2010, 07:19:41 AM »
Which is, in fact, how I found out about it. My concern is that there's no way to disable it other than "just firewall it".

What am I supposed to do? Block firefox from accessing the internet?

There are programs that let you open .swf files other than the web browsers. As soon as I get back from work I'll let you know the one I use.

Edt.
The program I use to run swf files is called SWF Opener. I use v 1.3 but I don't know if it's the latest or not but I never had any problems playing flash with it.
If anyone wants it I can dig in my HD and see if I still have its .exe somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:44:38 AM by Nalkyr Maloth »

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #474 on: July 14, 2010, 10:32:31 AM »
You can actually play flash games in media player classic... The interface is less than optimal though. (rage inducing in some cases.)
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #475 on: July 14, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »
irfanview has a flash app plugin as well.
Guess I'd better link you >.>
http://irfanview.com/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:29:24 AM by LordJerle »

Offline Zuul

« Reply #476 on: July 15, 2010, 05:08:55 AM »
Guys, guys, the problem is that Doc uses linux. So as long as you don't give him a Linux-compatible program his problem isn't solved.
That said, Google spews out this. Although I have absolutely no idea if it works or not.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #477 on: July 15, 2010, 05:24:07 AM »
There's also Gnash, although that's a bit patchy in its games support still.

It's not that big a deal, really. I can always run it under virtualbox, or block the IP it reports to if I can be bothered to set it up.

I just wish he'd included an option to turn the damn thing off.

[edit]

That said - I do appreciate the folks who've taken the time to try and help me out here. Thanks to one and all.

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #478 on: July 15, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »
Guys, guys, the problem is that Doc uses linux. So as long as you don't give him a Linux-compatible program his problem isn't solved.
That said, Google spews out this. Although I have absolutely no idea if it works or not.
WINE takes about 2 seconds to set up...

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #479 on: July 15, 2010, 11:33:32 AM »
WINE takes about 2 seconds to set up...

... but doesn't help with the firewalling aspect of things, unless they added windows firewall support recently. I confess I've not been following too closely of late.