devolution

Author Topic: Attention Modders! File host list! ---Updated 3/19/13-Two New Hosts---  (Read 10594 times)

Offline F-Trill

I've been looking into MediaFire alternatives, and I'd like to have a list going of no restriction/low restriction file hosts that will fit the bill.

Hopefully, a moderator or admin can pin this thread, so that it can serve to help folks do what they love and not get bogged down by other issues.  I'll be updating on a regular basis to remove and add hosts.  Please feel free to suggest any you like that are not here.

EDIT 12/18/12: Have decided to include a section for tips.  You can find this at the end of the host list.  Please note that I'm not being a know-it-all, just looking to help out as best I can.  ;D

So far, these are the best file hosts around.  I'll list the names, and what restrictions, if any, they have.

ShareSix
A truly restriction free file host.  No waiting; 72 hour download link availability; fast and simultaneous downloads; registration available, but not needed; and the ability to upload conventionally, flash, from url or even via torrent leach. 
  Sadly, they have begun using pop-ups.

ShareBees
Another restriction free file host. 72 hour download link availability; quick and simultaneous downloads; registration available but not needed; 1-5Gig file size/0-100Gig storage for uploaded files.

The only delay on downloads is 15 seconds which allows the host to clear the first download and feed the next. Occasionally, they do have pop-ups, but not often.

DataFileHost
Unlimited uploads and downloads, and no restriction on simultaneous downloads.  100MB files at most, which is why it sits low on the list.  However, files that are active will remain hosted forever- Files that go inactive are not deleted for sixty days.  There are no wait times.
There are no pop-up ads.

FastFiles
Up to 500MB files can be uploaded without the need for login.  FastFiles allows unlimited downloads.  The files are hosted on a most-active basis; this means that any file that remains active is in no danger of being deleted.  Low due to the 20 second wait time and CAPTCHA entry prior to download.
No pop-up ads.

DropBox
A File host with a difference.  DropBox actually syncs straight from your computer.  The downloaded software can be installed and pointed at a specific folder, or folders.  It does require a sign-up, but the benefits are worth it.  2Gigs right off the bat, with up to 8Gigs based upon referrals. (Speaking of which, if you wish to use this service, sign up HERE!) They are SafeHarbour certified.  There are no file restrictions, save that you can only store up to 2Gigs, and because the shared folder is monitored, there is no need to worry about something having been deleted!
No pop-up ads!

TusFiles
So low on this list only because of file size/number allotment, otherwise, restriction free.  Registration is available, but not necessary; offers conventional, flash, URL and torrent uploads; offers mirror and image uploads; simultaneous downloads; no wait time.
Generally, there will be two pop-up ads.

GigaPeta
A low restriction file host.  Captcha and 40 second wait time for anonymous downloaders, 10 second wait time and Captcha for registered free users.  As of this moment, they do not limit the number of downloads one can have within a set amount of time, and thus have made it to this list.  Simultaneous downloads are possible.
Occasional pop-ups- I've never actually experienced it.

VenusFile
Low restriction host.  Registration gets the best free benefits. Registered users: 2 Gig file size; 800Gig storage; download up to 2 Gigs in one day @ 70kb/s; 45 second wait period; no Captcha; URL upload; deletion after ten days of inactivity. Anonymous users: 1 Gig file size; deletion after five days of inactivity; download up to 1Gig a day @ 50kb/s; 60 second wait time.
Pop-Ups.

======EDIT: MARCH 19 2013=======

Uloz.to
DEFAULT PAGE LANGUAGE IS CZECH. Anon uploading is allowed, registration optional. Anon uploading requires filling out a captcha to prevent auto-uploaders. Seems unlimited files. I had an average upload speed of 100 KB/s. 1st test: 8.75MB uploaded in one minute. 2nd test: 12.5MB uploaded in less than three. 3rd test: 149MB uploaded in under 20 minutes. Download: 50MB rar in 12 minutes at an average of 300KB/s.
Options Available to Uploaders: Passwording link; removing from public search; restricting download; marking 18+ (Uloz.to allows adult content)
1 Pop-up for combo captcha/upgrade

BasicUpload
Anon uploading allowed; 10 files per upload, up to 2048MB. 50MB upload in 13 minutes, average 230 KB/s.  Download: 10 second countdown, captcha; DL link at the bottom of the page; 50MB file DL'd in 11 minutes.
Options Available to Uploaders: Passwording link
Pop-Ups -- Only when clicking on two "links" prior to the bottom dl link.

More to come.

Uploader Tips and Tricks
Never Use Names:  This is still one of the first things that file hosts look at.  If the name of the archive matches one of hundreds of copyrighted words, characters, etc., it is flagged for inspection at the very best; deletion at the worst.  Never use the name of the character for the name of the archive- Not only is it unnecessary, since your image folder(s) have the character name, it brings unwanted attention to your file.  For example: There was a music album I had hosted on Mediafire for over two years within an archive named "Ugly Ass Code."  It was never blocked, in spite of the fact that it was actually Metallica's Ride The Lightning album.

Double Up:  It can get to be annoying for downloaders, but in the end, doubling your archive is a great deal better than having to re-up every week, few days, or hourly.  Name the outer archive something funky, and name the inner archive something fitting as well.  Remember that since your actual files are titled for the character, there's no need to name the archive after them also. 

In An Emergency...:  There are times when host sites are simply going to be able to nail you.  Don't let that discourage you from uploading.  Instead, try created self-extracting archives- They have a much longer lasting lifespan, due to the filters of the host being unable to scan.  Or, rename the extension- Instead of ".rar," try renaming it ".txt."  Or, try ".jpg" for a ".zip" file.  Obviously, it will be important to include a disclaimer near the link, but again... Anything is better than.

Link Protection:  Put simply, link protectors don't really do a whole lot anymore.  When they first came out, they were wonderful; now, tracking code looks back across the protector link and finds the originating website.  There are still some decent protectors out there, but again, as a rule- It's better not to deal with them.  Shorteners, on the other hand, will actually help secure the link far better, because if a host site tech is attempting to backtrack a specific URL, they'll not find the long form anywhere online.

Here are a few tricks that I personally use, and you are welcome to do the same.

File Names
Naming archives has, in the past, been my undoing.  If I named it for exactly what it was, it would often get deleted.  If I gave it an odd name, I would sometimes lose it.  Thus, I started with a system for naming and cataloging my archives.  Very simply, I start with letter to number equivalents.  "A" is "1," "B" is "2" and so forth. 
Using the example of "Asa," I would wind up with the numbers "1,19,1."  Following this, I add them together and come up with "21."  (Which, in my opinion, is one of Adele's best albums.)  Now, I convert that number to Roman numerals, making it "XXI."  For a while, I was adding a number to the numeral for the number of letter in the word, but have since stopped doing that for anything but the actual list I keep of my files.  (So it would look like "3.XXI")  Then, I simply mark it on my catalog with the archive name followed by the name of the literal file.
This is the system that works best for me, but you really need to find something that works best for you and your strengths.  Regardless, I highly recommend keeping a master list of all file names and their archive doubles.

Extensions
Those final three letters after a file can sometimes make all the difference in the world.  If I find my archive files are being targeted, I have found it extremely helpful to rename the extension itself.  This renders the file unreadable, thereby making it safe for hosting.  (Try this, for instance.)  Obviously, it must be renamed by the downloader, so instructions are best given prior to the download.  For my example, if you've gone ahead and downloaded it, you can either rename it to "rar" or simply open it in WinRAR.

Archives
This is really simple folks: Sometimes, the filtration systems on these host sites are actually capable of viewing the file contained within the archives no matter what you do.  When this is the case, try creating a self-extracting archive.  The filters simply do not scan .exe extensions for anything but viruses.

Hope that some of these are helpful.   :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:37:27 PM by F-Trill »

Offline Lurker

Re: Attention Modders! File host list!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »
Neato. I'll give one of them a go for my next pack.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:35:29 PM »
Nice list, thnx!
Like what we're doing?

Offline FlamBurger

• I need to stop lazing about so much.....
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 07:19:58 PM »
Yeah I heard about some of these sites. I'll be sure to check them out, thanks!
The whole region of Crossgate will be my playground....
Our playground....
The whole freaking world guys....
Crossgate Chronicles?? Yup it's that bad....
I'll still chug on! Plus, The Crazy Team is really doing a good job on this game.
https://mega.nz/#F!A55jWSpT!P-1Lw1-kNxiBfelAH24Kvg My Packs

Offline F-Trill

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 12:38:09 AM »
No problem, folks.  As I find new and better ones, I'll be updating.  In the meantime, enjoy!

Offline F-Trill

Re: Attention Modders! File host list! ---Updated 12/18/12-Tips'n'Tricks---
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »
Updated with a "tips and tricks" section.

Offline FlamBurger

• I need to stop lazing about so much.....
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 02:35:45 PM »
You my man, are awesome in my book!

Thanks again for the sites, Trill. If I can call you that?
The whole region of Crossgate will be my playground....
Our playground....
The whole freaking world guys....
Crossgate Chronicles?? Yup it's that bad....
I'll still chug on! Plus, The Crazy Team is really doing a good job on this game.
https://mega.nz/#F!A55jWSpT!P-1Lw1-kNxiBfelAH24Kvg My Packs

Offline F-Trill

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »
Feel free, my friend.  Glad I could be of assistance.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 05:56:21 AM »
Good news, now I have a MF strike too :)
They don't like my Skyrim localization fix only for now, but I've already deleted my account to prevent more "strikes" spam.

Oh, and don't bother sending e-mail because of their "If you deleted your account because you are unsatisfied with our service, please tell us by emailing" thing, they just reject it because "user is unknown"

Offline F-Trill

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 06:06:18 AM »
Good news, now I have a MF strike too :) 

This is GOOD news?  Wow.  Good news sure has gone downhill since my day...   ??? ::) :D

Oh, and don't bother sending e-mail because of their "If you deleted your account because you are unsatisfied with our service, please tell us by emailing" thing, they just reject it because "user is unknown"

Cute.  Well, try some of these.  I've got a few more that I've been testing to see if I should/could add them to the list.   8)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 06:19:41 AM »
LoL :)

Maybe it's good news because while they've banned practically everyone else but not you, you kinda can't feel but being left out  ::)
Like what we're doing?

Offline F-Trill

Re: Attention Modders! File host list! ---Updated 12/28/12-Three New Hosts---
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 06:50:24 AM »
Updated: Three new hosts added.   8)

Five new ones currently being tested.   :-\

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 07:48:16 AM »
A quick note: don't use rapidshare under any circumstances. You might as well just delete your files with your own hands. Even MF is better.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 08:46:03 AM »
A quick note: don't use rapidshare under any circumstances. You might as well just delete your files with your own hands. Even MF is better.

I've uploaded 1/3 of AGL to MEGA. We'll see how that works...
Like what we're doing?

Offline endospore

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 08:13:31 AM »
Thanks for the info. I have a metric assload of girls packs that I downloaded before, so my external harddrive is almost a backup of the site XD I'll try and upload some of the packs I have that are dead, but I didn't keep any credits, and I'd feel bad uploading something and making it look like my own :/ Not only that, but I'd have to go through the archives to see which packs actually are dead and which aren't, and that's not even mentioning how long it'll take to upload easily a gig worth of files...

I also made a bunch of girls during the down time, so you can expect a pretty big surge from me soon-ish.