devolution

Author Topic: <-- Archived -->  (Read 113678 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
I guess you didn't code this part yet.

Which part?

0. Before I forget again, signboard! You know, if you don't have whores in the current brothel then you don't need horny customers, etc. I have already mentioned it somewhere.

Ok, so no signboard, no costumers basically... makes sense. All advertising and updates came from the original concept of making a copy of the Original Simbrothel first, before moving to WMlike version. Still I had to agree with everyone who said game would be to shallow without proper items system and degree of events and interaction I planned for SimBro version...

1. Even if we don't have areas yet, we still could use 'em. We don't even need names using some variable like "arealevel" from 0 to 5. The better the area, the richer and more demanding customers.

We can leave placeholders for areas codewise, I meant positioning on the map is close to impossible at the moment, I do have some thoughts on how to do it now but it is premature.

3. Security level. It is one of the main game's stats in wm and wm ex, after all.

Like a deterrent... better security = less negative events... we can do that.

4. Time period between building upgrades or new rooms? And maybe no more instant building too?

Blah :(  I cannot see any added value to the game in it.

5. Maybe also some variable for general condition of the building (maybe even instead of taxes), so you have to repair it sometimes, especially after group fights with customers or competitors inside the building with using large-scale magic  :)

Maybe... but not like in SimBro 1x. Castles there are loosing structural integrity every 10 or so days :)  We could add repair costs of some kind, it's really simple code vs decent added value to the game.

I need to think more about the Next Day part, but it's already obvious that the current next day interface is very undesirable even for testing. We need at least wm-like one.

I hate WM like one, preferring the one with listing. But I will obviously improve Next Day interface and add filters.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Which part?
For zero mtemp. I don't see any difference now between 0 and 1.

And you probably have missed my question about advertise. Shouldn't you use your own girls for it, like in wm, instead of hiring some invisible girls somewhere?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
For zero mtemp. I don't see any difference now between 0 and 1.

And you probably have missed my question about advertise. Shouldn't you use your own girls for it, like in wm, instead of hiring some invisible girls somewhere?

What do you want the difference between 0 and one to be? They both activate the item on daily basis, or at least they're supposed to.

I did say that some of the crap came from SimBro design. What we could do is to add 'advertise' to girls control, if set to true girl will spend one AP per day advertising.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Oops, nevermind, my mistake in the field  :D

Maybe... but not like in SimBro 1x. Castles there are loosing structural integrity every 10 or so days
Well, according to Google irl most buildings are in need of major repairs once every 15 years at worst. I doubt the game will be that long (about 22000 turns), so I'm mostly see it as a deterrent for battles on your territory, or even on enemies territory if you trying to seize the building.

Offline CherryWood

Maybe... but not like in SimBro 1x. Castles there are loosing structural integrity every 10 or so days :)  We could add repair costs of some kind, it's really simple code vs decent added value to the game.
Yup, constant degradation of buildings in simbro1x was just annoying. I believe it's enough to have one system like this that needs attention (cleaning) so we should make this one automatic (=upkeep).
But maybe we could also represent it as one-time investments. Some buildings may come in really bad shape and need major repairs to achieve full functionality or maybe they could be expanded. (=unlock rooms/upgrades?)

I did say that some of the crap came from SimBro design. What we could do is to add 'advertise' to girls control, if set to true girl will spend one AP per day advertising.
What about temporally hiring a city girl to advertise for you? It could be nice if there is more for them to do then just waiting for you to date/recruit them.

or even NPC... I actually think advertisement is one of things that have possibility to be a nice part of a gameplay or game story. There could be a reason why you have only a few customers, and you may be required to make some connections, improve reputation and also run a good deal of advertisement to get some more.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:14:34 PM by CherryWood »

Offline DarkTl

We could make some of upgrades mutually exclusive, for instance some could be build in basement or backyard only, while usually brothel has only one basement room and one backyard.

What about temporally hiring a city girl to advertise for you? It could be nice if there is more for them to do then just waiting for you to date/recruit them.

or even NPC...
Good point. It also could be randomized: sometimes you hire a new (or already familiar) girl, sometimes npc, sometimes some generic character.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:30:45 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
so I'm mostly see it as a deterrent for battles on your territory, or even on enemies territory if you trying to seize the building.

Enemies or that sort of conquest/defense warfare is not even planned yet.

we should make this one automatic (=upkeep).

We can all agree that upkeep for brothels should be part of the concept.

or even NPC... I actually think advertisement is one of things that have possibility to be a nice part of a gameplay or game story. There could be a reason why you have only a few customers, and you may be required to make some connections, improve reputation and also run a good deal of advertisement to get some more.

Awesome ideas but we already have a lot of game elements planned in to support storyline and make gameplay nice and interesting. We need to choose one system for advertisement, either the one that's in place now or your own girls as part of their routine or NPC's with own stats like fame and reputation. Advertisement as it is now already works by the way and took a good amount of time to program. We are most definitely not going to code all of the possibilities you've mentioned for the release version, we'll pick one and add more after proper 1.0 is released.

We could make some of upgrades mutually exclusive, for instance some could be build in basement or backyard only, while usually brothel has only one basement room and one backyard.

Best way is to figure out what pics and art we can find for the brothel upgrades, code those into the game and enable those per brothel in xml. Mutually exclusive or not we can decide as brothels are designed in xml.

Good point. It also could be randomized: sometimes you hire a new (or already familiar) girl, sometimes npc, sometimes some generic character.

To broad for a subsystem as I've said above. We have to pick one way, sign off on it and put it into the concept.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

We need to choose one system for advertisement, either the one that's in place now or your own girls as part of their routine or NPC's with own stats like fame and reputation.
Or we could use girls for attracting customers and npc/"free" girls for flyers. I find it difficult to decide between them.

Enemies or that sort of conquest/defense warfare is not even planned yet.
Even without degradation of building or fights the game could have random events damaging it (or you just get from some quest very old building and repair it before using), so some kind of durability value for brothels probably won't hurt.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
Or we could use girls for attracting customers and npc/"free" girls for flyers. I find it difficult to decide between them.

Or we could have aliens fly around doing lasershows in the sky :) Joking aside, I am serious about picking one thing. We cannot have 'Full Time' (1/2 of a day) advertising job like in WM for girls in brothel cause that makes not sense. Advertising doesn't seem important enough to invest a lot of time into. So the choices are:

1) Leave everything as it is.

2) Kill the current system and replace it with girls in brothel doing advertising.

I don't want to involve NPCs and other girls yet, it's a very good concept but we can add it after the release version is ready.

Even without degradation of building or fights the game could have random events damaging it (or you just get from some quest very old building and repair it before using), so some kind of durability value for brothels probably won't hurt.

Wouldn't add a lot to the game either. That value is useless unless we're also planning making brothel or parts of brothel uninhabitable in accordance to damage and that seems like another timewaster, we are not likely to have the ability to present something like that well graphically and it doesn't seem to be adding a lot of value to the game unless I'm missing something.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:32:07 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Or we could have aliens fly around doing lasershows in the sky :)
Maybe after the release version is ready  :D

I'd prefer Cherry's approach. So for now we leave everything as it is, and sometime later we'll add npcs and girls.

it doesn't seem to be adding a lot of value to the game unless I'm missing something.
Well, as I said, I'm mostly see it as a deterrent for battles. Thus, even if you have a strong party, you can't cast armageddon spells with impunity here and there. Unless you planning to not use battle engine inside brothels at all.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
Maybe after the release version is ready  :D

I'd prefer Cherry's approach. So for now we leave everything as it is, and sometime later we'll add npcs and girls.

Decided than, we just improve the logic a bit, like your no board = no clients idea.

Well, as I said, I'm mostly see it as a deterrent for battles. Thus, even if you have a strong party, you can't cast armageddon spells with impunity here and there. Unless you planning to not use battle engine inside brothels at all.

I never planned it for the original release but I'm not even sure why considering using be in events and pseudo exploration but not in brothels, probably because I decided not to do territory control, at least for the release version.

=============================================
PS: I took a look at some consumables, some of the ideas are awesome, well done :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Yup, unlike potions or weapons/armor, misc provides great freedom for imagination  :D
WM doesn't have many misc items, and most of other games with inventory are of little help.

I'll try to create at least 5 items per day, and 10-15 if I'm not too busy. As always, any ideas are welcomed.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
Yup, unlike potions or weapons/armor, misc provides great freedom for imagination  :D
WM doesn't have many misc items, and most of other games with inventory are of little help.

I'll try to create at least 5 items per day, and 10-15 if I'm not too busy. As always, any ideas are welcomed.

Ideas usually come to me as I play...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Is it possible to affect character experience or money via items? I remember a couple of items from WM giving free exp when consumed, for example.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
Is it possible to affect character experience or money via items? I remember a couple of items from WM giving free exp when consumed, for example.

Not yet, but we can add that to the concept and I'll code it in tomorrow. Would have to be a separate field.
Like what we're doing?