devolution

Author Topic: Refusing to work  (Read 12018 times)

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Refusing to work
« on: November 03, 2009, 02:25:03 PM »
I started looking into what is happening when girls refuse to work.  I noticed that once a specific girl refuses to do a specific job, she will never work that job again, regardless of what other jobs you assign her too, the length of time she spends not assigned to that job, amount of free time you give her, what you say to her, or what gifts you give her.  It also seems that the refusal to work is time-related, not rebelliousness-related, as if the girl accumulates a "dislike" (for lack of a better term) of the job every time she does it.  When her dislike reaches a certain point, she refuses to do the job any more.  If you change her over to another job, she will perform that one until her dislike reaches the critical threshold, and then she will need a third job.  So far, I have seen this effect with the strip bar, gambling hall, and movie jobs, but not the brothel and training jobs (I haven't tested the street job).

In the save files, some of the girls' stats can get high negative values (negative hundreds or thousands) while all other stats are 0 or positive (up to 100).  Could these be the records of the "dislike" stats?

I'm going to start a test game to see if I can track the progression in the saves and see if I am right.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Rose

Re: Refusing to work
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:30:26 PM »
I've also noticed that girls who refuse to work will always refuse that job, but not other jobs. Makes assigning tasks something of a jigzaw puzzle...
The truth is out there, but it's usually pretty boring, so people make up interesting lies instead.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:52:02 PM »
I was wrong - it seems the stat line has 3 entries for each stat and skill: base, permanent bonus/penalty, temporary bonus/penalty.  There simply isn't a positive/negative cap on the bonuses and penalties, though I surmise that in the game engine the skills and stats are still capped at +/-100.

Testing another theory now...

[Edit]

I think I figured it out: it's near the end of the character's save block, the line that reads "-20 -20 -20 -20 -20 -20" for new characters.  Position 2 tracks the bar, 3 tracks the gambling hall, 4 tracks movies, and 5 tracks sex (brothel, street, and bar sex).  Each time a character performs the job, the number increments some (random?) number, and when it reaches somewhere around 13-20, the character refuses to do the job.  I tried editing the save file to reset the counters to -20 each, but the game crashes on loading (instead of the typical incompatible save game file message that crops up when I edit other parts of a save file).

Necno, is it possible to edit the talk scripts to decrement these variables?  If so, what are the variables called so I can edit the scripts to account for them?

[Edit 2]

Interestingly (and appropriately, IMHO), the Nymphomaniac trait prevents the sex counter from incrementing.  Does anyone know of any other traits having a similar effect for other jobs?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:07:54 PM by zodiac44 »
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Bloodly

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:46:46 AM »
Does a refusal lower the 'refusal count'?

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 11:08:35 AM »
Nope.  Once the counter reaches the threshold, it's stuck there, apparently forever.

Offline Command

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »
I have had an curious emcounter with refusing to work once.  I tried to experiment with the item editor and make one an item that makes the character 100 on obediance and stat controled.  And it turned out it didn't seem to do anything but possibly make them refuse to work more. 

Then I looked around more options and then tried to add broken will and mind fucked and it worked for a while but then after some time that start refusing to work again and I tried to use stuff to get them to work and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

It maybe that their is an error in the statuses and the atributes.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:05:01 PM »
I messed around extensively with adding and removing traits, raising and lowering skills and stats - nothing I tried had any effect at all except for the Nymphomaniac trait.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 03:58:11 AM »
Interesting, i will do some more testing. Yes to the scripts but not until i get 1.30 released which won't be for a while. I'm using the release break to do a few things extra as well as working on the code a bit more.
On the plus side, there are now 3 other coders working on this game. They are working on fixes and such for the current version (1.29). Once 1.30 is out the 4 of us will be working on the same stuff.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline trex

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 04:26:26 AM »
Great news about the fixes, hopefully with a team of 4 the version rollouts shall be faster and more finished. Keep up the good work!  ;D

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 04:59:50 AM »
What we're thinking of doing is having "stable" and "testing" releases. So "stable" will mean playable, but probably a bit old. "testing" is going to be fast and up to date, but probably buggy.

The idea is we'd still like the bug reports and the testing, but hopefully we shouldn't leave everyone having to cope with major bugs for any length of time.

Of course, first we need to get to a stable release ...

Offline trex

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 05:23:45 AM »
Well I don't mind bugs, major (Game breaking?) ones however should be hot-fixed a.s.a.p. (most have been have been, but I consider the pregnancy bug a considerable one)

Would the test releases be limiting their hot-fix(s) for issues that (almost literally) do no make the game playable, or will we see doable bugs done away with? It's hard to balance time and effort on bug-killing <-> new features, and exactly what is a doable bug? (Each case needs some time to figure out, try to resolve, test...) 
Well I'd like this two-tier release system, it's always hard to downgrade yourself though when major features are in a version that you can't really enjoy because saving and back-up saving just doesn't work. 

Offline letmein

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 12:16:44 PM »
Psssh.  Stable games are for pussies.  Everything always works, there aren't any neat little quirks to surmount...  I like beta much more.
Still lurking.

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 05:44:37 PM »
Letmein likes to abuse errors in the systems of stuff
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »
It's all good. The guys who like to work around the buggy features can run the testing version, and we'll be most appreciative of the bug reports.

The guys who just want to play - or the ones who get tired of beta testing and want to revert back to a more stable version - we can cater for them, as well.

It's a win-win :)

Offline Bloodly

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »
A question:  Did traits like Iron Will, Yandere, etc mess with the numbers gained or the starting position of the 'Refusal count'?  Like, were numbers or numbers gained consistantly higher with them?  Did traits like Vroken will, Mind-fucked result in lower numbers?