Author Topic: Reporting Errors:  (Read 352182 times)

Offline Jaeke

Re: Reporting Errors:
« Reply #285 on: February 24, 2014, 07:38:23 AM »
With notepad++, I limited it to the filetypes I want to search in the filter *.* field. eg - *.rpy ; *.json ; *.xml ;
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:45:09 AM by Jaeke »

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #286 on: February 24, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »
:( Couldn't duplicate that error after some quick tests.

Now on to some trivial stuff not worth your time. ;D
I was still not having the goblin shaman show up in battles, so changed mobs.json file to have shgobl.png for shaman, decided to go through some more files and noticed some spelling errors.

In traits.xml  If I were to change these would that break every reference to them? Or does it auto update all references? I added the comment bits...
<trait
        id="Exhibitionnist" #Exhibitionist

<trait
        id="Dependant" #Dependent(opposite of independent), dependant makes me think they are someones child/underage/someones responsibility.

Also - this description is incorrect.
    <trait
        id="Heavy Drinker" #Alcoholic? Needs alcohol to get through the day? The description seems to suggest they are a lightweight/cadbury.
        desc="She just can't hold her liquor." #She drinks a lot/She loves a drink? Can't hold liquor means you get drunk easily, feel the effects easier.
        temp='0'>

<trait
        id="Edgy"
        desc="This girl is very nervous and jumpy."
        temp='0'>

Technically correct, but I associate edgy with being 'at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.' Doing something different/controversial. Am I the only one?
How about one of these.
tense, nervous, on edge, highly strung, anxious, apprehensive, uneasy, ill at ease, unsettled, unstable;
excitable, twitchy, jumpy, keyed up, fidgety, restive, skittish, neurotic, brittle, hysterical;
sensitive, insecure;
irritable, touchy, tetchy, testy, crotchety, irascible, peevish, querulous, bad-tempered, short-tempered, hot-tempered, quick-tempered, temperamental, snappy, captious, crabbed, prickly;
nervy;

Nervous, Anxious, Insecure and Skittish look like a good fit. But perhaps Edgy is more common elsewhere than where I live.

If they were simple string spelling errors I would just change and merge/push...
I generally spot a mistake in game, then scramble about trying to find the right file to change. Still building up motivation to go through the folders systematically to fix spelling.

I sure am a nitpicky bastard, ha.

Spelling error,  yes.

As far as dependant/dependent goes. It should be dependent, but technically both share the same overlaying definition.

as far as heavy drinker and the description goes, shouldn't it be more like:

id="Heavy Drinker" (or Alcoholic w/e)
desc="Can drink still the sun comes up."

id="Lightweight"
desc="She just can't hold her liquor."

but if the trait is pointing towards an addiction, then alcoholic should be used. Still not to be confused with 'wino'

Also, for 'edgy', the word closest what you are looking for is 'skittish'. if not enough people know this word, 'anxious' or 'nervous' are simple enough.

Well, we do have Fearless trait. I widely used Edgy as its antonym.

We also could use your Loner trait in the future, when it will make more sense due to relationships between girls.

If it's the opposite of fearless use 'coward' or 'cowardly'.
This could be the end ...

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2014, 01:11:45 AM »
Cowardly is a bit too strong. Fear of communication is not Fearless already, but not exactly a Coward, I guess. Maybe anxious or nervous... Isn't edgy more general word?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:34:46 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2014, 07:13:56 AM »
While, you're right. Edgy can mean 'on edge', but in normal conversations people will think of the other two more prevalent definitions.

being new or trendy. or
being bold or provocative (usually in a way that makes other people uncomfortable)

I, personally, think of the latter first. But I also understood what you meant, it just took a minute.

I agree, cowardly probably isn't right. Which is why I recommended 'skittish' first. Unfortunately, it's an uncommon word, but happens to mean exactly what you're intending it for.

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2014, 07:59:29 AM »
When I tried to use more than one pics (combat (1).jpg...) for arena npc:
Code: [Select]
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 335, in script
  File "game/script.rpy", line 348, in python
  File "game/library/functions.rpy", line 138, in python
AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'append'

Also selected MC sprite is converted into arena fighter too. It's kinda weird to fight vs yourself.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:05:50 AM by CherryWood »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2014, 09:08:01 AM »
Ok, I changed Edgy to Skittish in db copy. Since Xela wanted to fix traits in the game code, be sure to change Edgy as well if you use it somewhere. I don't push new traits xml because it simply could beak the game  :)

About Heavy Drinker, if we'll have actual addiction at some point, it will be an effect, not trait. So I'll just change the current description to "Can drink still the sun comes up."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:14:38 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »
When I tried to use more than one pics (combat (1).jpg...) for arena npc:
Code: [Select]
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 335, in script
  File "game/script.rpy", line 348, in python
  File "game/library/functions.rpy", line 138, in python
AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'append'

Also selected MC sprite is converted into arena fighter too. It's kinda weird to fight vs yourself.

I'll take a look, both should be really easy to fix unless there is something evil at work :)

Ok, I changed Edgy to Skittish in db copy. Since Xela wanted to fix traits in the game code, be sure to change Edgy as well if you use it somewhere. I don't push new traits xml because it simply could beak the game  :)

About Heavy Drinker, if we'll have actual addiction at some point, it will be an effect, not trait. So I'll just change the current description to "Can drink still the sun comes up."

Nothing will break if you push, traits, if they are unused by the game, they are not going to cause any trouble.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2014, 09:34:47 AM »
And if you use some checks for Edgy in the code ?..

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2014, 09:37:32 AM »
And if you use some checks for Edgy in the code ?..

There is only one, sends girls to a specific location in girlsmeets, but the point of checks is that if it doesn't exist, nothing happens :)

skittish = (of a person) playfully frivolous or unpredictable.

Is this really what we're looking for to replace Edgy?

Both of the CW's errors are fixed, I'll push just that.

Note to CW:

Even if my fix works, the first time you'll see the second image is on the next day if it's randomly picked since they're cached.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:40:27 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #294 on: February 25, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »
skittish = (of a person) playfully frivolous or unpredictable.

Is this really what we're looking for to replace Edgy?

Hmm, not sure where you got that definition. the ones I got were

: easily frightened or excited
: nervous or fearful about doing something
: tending to change often : not dependable or stable

Ah, I found something else. Perhaps, this one?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bashful

Is that what is desired? Or a synonym thereof?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2014, 10:18:11 AM »
No idea. We need an antonym to fearless. By fearless we mean no fear whatsoever, regardless of the circumstances. Bashful = shy, and we do have Shy trait.

We need that "easily frightened, nervous or fearful part" from skittish. However, according to some dictionaties, this word is used only for animals.

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
No idea. We need an antonym to fearless. By fearless we mean no fear whatsoever, regardless of the circumstances. Bashful = shy, and we do have Shy trait.

We need that "easily frightened, nervous or fearful part" from skittish. However, according to some dictionaties, this word is used only for animals.

Well, you are right about the animal part, ... which is why it'd be hilarious.

But if it's just an antonym of fearless (socially), based on use and people's ability to understand .... I'd probably go with 'timid' then.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/timid

It's literally related to "Fearful", so .... yeah. Also, I think most people know this word. It's more commonly used than skittish. And it's not as archaic as 'bashful' (but that one also has an overlaying definition with 'shy')

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2014, 11:04:29 AM »
Traits are a difficult concept to work with, maintain and create content for. Prolly was not the best idea to go with that from the get-go.

Socially awkward? Scaredy-cat?

@ Armegetton (you need a shorter nickname):

I rarely bother with dictionaries since google came up with definitions on search, they often have pin-point precision as to what words mean and how they're understood in modern language. Dictionaries often suck in that part.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #298 on: February 25, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »
Ok, i'll join in  :)
I've originally written "edgy" trait to be opposite of "collected", basically -nervous- like it was in the description. (but I don't really know where that can be useful in game)
Both of these were connected with fear, but to less extent than "Fearless" vs cowardly (scaredy-cat, easily frightened, fearful, faint-hearted of whatever we could call the opposite) traits.
but I don't mind any changes here.

Regarding traits, I have much more trouble understanding the - shy, impersonal, kuundere, dandere, nerd differences. And even with all of these I still don't know how to describe rudely unsociable character ("Conversation... What a pain... ") - lines for that one are in girlmeets under impersonal trait right now, but that is a wrong match.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:09:03 AM by CherryWood »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #299 on: February 25, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
Yeah, I like timid more. So be it.

I've originally written "edgy" trait to be opposite of "collected", basically -nervous- like it was in the description. (but I don't really know where that can be useful in game)
I'd say there are three levels of it. Fearless = no fear at all, collected = no panic (but still not fearless), timid = nervous, easily scared.

Traits are a difficult concept to work with, maintain and create content for. Prolly was not the best idea to go with that from the get-go.
It's the best way to emulate complex characters that I know. Other systems may be easier, but not necessarily better.