Author Topic: Reporting Errors:  (Read 354131 times)

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
Re: Reporting Errors:
« Reply #300 on: February 25, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
@ Armegetton (you need a shorter nickname):

arm or arme works fine. I'll usually pick up who you're talking to based on context.

@dark, yeah. after review, I agree that timid is probably the way to go.
This could be the end ...

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2014, 11:31:58 AM »
Regarding traits, I have much more trouble understanding the - shy, impersonal, kuundere, dandere, nerd differences. And even with all of these I still don't know how to describe rudely unsociable character ("Conversation... What a pain... ") - lines for that one are in girlmeets under impersonal trait right now, but that is a wrong match.
Impersonal = devoid of emotions  relying on logic (various androids mostly), kuundere = cold and cool outside but  caring and nice inside, dandere =  extremely quiet and withdrawn (not to be cool, but to avoid conversation), nerd = "an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit" according to some dictionary  :)
Thus, Hinata is shy but not dandere, since she is not quiet and withdrawn 100% of the time  8)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »
Ok, i'll join in  :)
I've originally written "edgy" trait to be opposite of "collected", basically -nervous- like it was in the description. (but I don't really know where that can be useful in game)
Both of these were connected with fear, but to less extent than "Fearless" vs cowardly (scaredy-cat, easily frightened, fearful, faint-hearted of whatever we could call the opposite) traits.
but I don't mind any changes here.

Regarding traits, I have much more trouble understanding the - shy, impersonal, kuundere, dandere, nerd differences. And even with all of these I still don't know how to describe rudely unsociable character ("Conversation... What a pain... ") - lines for that one are in girlmeets under impersonal trait right now, but that is a wrong match.

Yeah... it can get bloody confusing at times :)

I am not saying that the whole traits concept is flawed but I am starting to think that we should check only those traits that absolutely make sense for any particular event or conversation and leave the others.

It's the best way to emulate complex characters that I know. Other systems may be easier, but not necessarily better.

Maybe...

Impersonal = devoid of emotions  relying on logic (various androids mostly), kuundere = cold and cool outside but  caring and nice inside, dandere =  extremely quiet and withdrawn (not to be cool, but to avoid conversation), nerd = "an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit" according to some dictionary  :)
Thus, Hinata is shy but not dandere, since she is not quiet and withdrawn 100% of the time  8)

I am yet to find a good way of transferring any of that into code. Another thing is that traits can have a weird impact on conversations and game play because with many girls it's hard to remember which one has specific traits... oh well, we'll live and see.

==============
I am going to see if I can write that universal function for encounters...

Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #303 on: February 26, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »
I am yet to find a good way of transferring any of that into code. Another thing is that traits can have a weird impact on conversations and game play because with many girls it's hard to remember which one has specific traits... oh well, we'll live and see.

Hmm, I was under the impression that these traits are really only there to 'fill out the game', basically make it so the players don't have to see the same responses over and over again. Like each girl has a different 'flavor' at least as far as dialogue goes.

And I don't think the point is to remember which girl has what (social) traits. It would be impossible to keep track of all the the randomized copies floating around.

It's a simulation of real life, but in RL its easier because of non-verbal communication. Not to mention that in RL, I don't think a random girl would approve of some guy picking her up, and then sweet talking her into ... becoming a prostitute? (lol) not to mention, I'm sure the girl would eventually notice the fact that all of her friends, sisters, classmates, and possibly other relatives end up working for that same guy. (it would be hilarious though. ... well, I would get a kick out of it anyways)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #304 on: February 26, 2014, 10:32:33 AM »
True... traits have more impacts than conversations. They determine what girls can be found at some locations, how girls spend their resting time, events during the jobs and other things. It's a lot of extra work, without a doubt, traits make game better but cost might be to high. We'll see, maybe there will be more people helping out in the future.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #305 on: February 26, 2014, 11:14:33 AM »
I am yet to find a good way of transferring any of that into code.
Apart from dialogues, it's simple checks whenever possible. Like autobuy/autoequipment systems.

We may need some more unuque lines for slavetraining, but not nearly as many as for conversations. Perahaps even my English will be sufficient for that.

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #306 on: February 26, 2014, 12:47:53 PM »
Ok, so I went through a bit of the girl interactions and found a couple of weird parts.

Apparently, the game was having issues with the
Code: [Select]
$ int_show("profile", "sad")

code

There are also several comments already there saying basically, 'this isn't working' or something similar.
So, far I've isolated the issue and am testing it on the girls the dev starts with.

First, the issue is that with multiple tags, for what ever reason double quotes weren't working ex: "profile", "sad" or 'profile', "sad" and it would just pull a random 'profile'.
So, single quotes is the way to go.

Also, I started checking the .json files and found issues. starting with vivi and robin

robin has several tags of 'profilehappy' 'profilesad' and 'profileneutral' etc, whereas vivi didn't have any (0). So, I went back and added them to only the file names with both words attached (also, profileangry or whatever).

But should I be doing this? Do we want single 'profilehappy' tags? or do they all need to be separate?

Also, this explains why the 'neutral' tag isn't working. Because no one has one. it's all either 'profileneutral' or 'indifferent' (in robin's case). I'm going through some more of the girls and see what I'll find.

After going through more of the girls, I've determined that single tags 'profilehappy' etc are apparently what we're doing.

This begs the question, are we going to have a public location where people can get the latest update in .json files? (if not the packs themselves)
because they aren't being updated with the rest of the code files.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:54:40 PM by Armegetton »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #307 on: February 26, 2014, 01:02:20 PM »
robin has several tags of 'profilehappy' 'profilesad' and 'profileneutral' etc, whereas vivi didn't have any (0). So, I went back and added them to only the file names with both words attached (also, profileangry or whatever).
We use a software written by Rudi to tag images. Those 'profilehappy' 'profilesad' and 'profileneutral' tags are part of the old system, when we used pics names instead of tags. By accident they present in some tags files, however, since tags are stored inside pictures as well (as long as no one edits them in graphic editors), those old tags can and will be removed eventually, when we'll add slave training most likely.

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »
So does that mean you want multiple tags during the show calls then?

$ int_show('profile', 'sad')

not like

$ int_show('profilesad')

Is this right?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #309 on: February 26, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »
Yup. At least that was the plan. Who knows what Xela coded there  :D

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #310 on: February 26, 2014, 01:17:26 PM »
Cool. It was just the single quotes thing. And there's no neutral tag (even though the files are labeled as neutral), it's tagged as 'indifferent'.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #311 on: February 26, 2014, 01:28:14 PM »
Files names don't matter anymore, now I rename pics in my packs only for my own convenience.

We decided that neutral is too vague, so we used more specific tags. If there is a neutral tag somewhere in that part of the code, it's a mistake most likely.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #312 on: February 26, 2014, 01:44:14 PM »
We decided that neutral is too vague, so we used more specific tags. If there is a neutral tag somewhere in that part of the code, it's a mistake most likely.

I forgot about this + it was very late and I just changed them from "profileneutral" to "profile", "neutral".

Cool. It was just the single quotes thing. And there's no neutral tag (even though the files are labeled as neutral), it's tagged as 'indifferent'.

Behavior as you describe is impossible in Python, you've prolly used one single quote and one double quote.

=================
There are a lot of really poor texts and event in interactions, if you're taking a look at that, kill them. Also kill all instances of player talking, interactions were written before we've agreed that player should STFU and communicate only through menu choices.

Edit:

You can read a bit on how to use tagging system here:

'''Returns an image with the supplied tags.

Under normal type of images lookup (default):
            First tag is concidered to be most improtant.
            If no image with all tags is found,
            game will look for a combination of first and any other tag from second to last.

Valid keyword arguments:
                resize = (maxwidth, maxheight)
                    Both dimensions are required
                default = any object (recommended: a renpy image)
                    If default is set and no image with the supplied tags could
                    be found, the value of default is returned and a warning is
                    printed to "devlog.txt".
                cache = load image/tags to cache (can be used in screens language directly)
                type = type of image lookup order (normal by default)
                types:
                     - normal = normal search behaviour, try all tags first, then first tag + one of each tags taken from the end of taglist
                     - any = will try to find an image with any of the tags chozen at random
                     - first_default = will use first tag as a default instead of a profile and only than switch to profile
            '''

also, in menus, you can condition the menus to show only if girl has a specific picture. If you don't know how, I'll post an example (don't remember if there were any in girlsmeets). Code for conditioning is:

if chr.has_image("deepthroat")
for example.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:49:55 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #313 on: February 26, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »

Behavior as you describe is impossible in Python, you've prolly used one single quote and one double quote.

You say it, but .... this is currently working.

I did leave the comments there for now (can be taken out later), and I added a screen adjust for the shopping, otherwise the store background was staying.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: February 26, 2014, 03:09:05 PM »
You say it, but .... this is currently working.

I did leave the comments there for now (can be taken out later), and I added a screen adjust for the shopping, otherwise the store background was staying.

We've decided to exclude shopping and dating from Alpha just yesterday I think.

I'll add it to the game and comments can stay, that's what they're there for :)
Like what we're doing?