devolution

Author Topic: Question about game state  (Read 5756 times)

Offline MandateofDemise

Question about game state
« on: May 26, 2021, 03:35:32 AM »
I've been fascinated by this game from my first session. I've played games with similar premise (Strive4Power I/II) but they are not quite there.
I wonder what are the main roadblocks related to this game development. Is it right issue, lack of specific developers, some personal disagreement or lack of passion for this project?
I haven't seen license in github repo so by default it has closed license. Was this Your intent? If not consider adding MIT or any copyleft license.
I've seen someone asking for mobile version - considering how many android ports of renpy games are up there (even made not by developers) this shouldn't be too hard (more tedious if there is platform specific code in project like file paths etc.).
I could help with code or even rewrite it in Godot (GDscript but maybe python would work also but less performant) to continue legacy.
Hope you don't find this distasteful.

Offline hewhocumsbynight

• All Hail the Crimson King!
Re: Question about game state
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 07:49:44 PM »
Hey there. There was a post made in this forum a bit earlier by Dark, which basically said that half the team (Xela) had gone AWOL and was no longer responding to communication. As a result, the game was put into indefinite hiatus, since Xela did a lot of the nuts and bolts stuff. I assume that the two had kept the repo closed because they intended to work on it in the future, and didn't want other people playing with their toys and stealing a march on their plans. I am fairly doubtful that any further development will occur, since it's been quite a long time since that informational post was made, unless Xela resurfaces at some point.

Here's the post I'm referencing, by the way:  https://www.pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=4054.0
My MEGA folder can be found at:  https://mega.co.nz/#F!EYhAgTyI!keiMX47NrnGOEozwNb2Vfg

Torrent link of my version, effective September, 2016:  magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4606F11A1C216337D7F3DFD6716307F48CFB996A&dn=WhoreMaster.06.02.29&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80

Offline cazzaren

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 03:34:02 PM »
I've been fascinated by this game from my first session. I've played games with similar premise (Strive4Power I/II) but they are not quite there.
I wonder what are the main roadblocks related to this game development. Is it right issue, lack of specific developers, some personal disagreement or lack of passion for this project?
I haven't seen license in github repo so by default it has closed license. Was this Your intent? If not consider adding MIT or any copyleft license.
I've seen someone asking for mobile version - considering how many android ports of renpy games are up there (even made not by developers) this shouldn't be too hard (more tedious if there is platform specific code in project like file paths etc.).
I could help with code or even rewrite it in Godot (GDscript but maybe python would work also but less performant) to continue legacy.
Hope you don't find this distasteful.

it may have been me lol i actually started taking it into my own hands to make a similar game on the basic mechanics of this and im actually looking for someone who car write a similar code to how they use the character packs but my game will have more of an action rpg element along with the combat. inbox me if you do know how to make a similar coding to that or would like to help in production! i have a whole set of things i have and am about to start getting the ui and placements together to get the bare system up. im debating on getting it in unreal engine so it can be for pc and mobile too. im also in progress with creating my zombie survival type game called revelation dawn that will be more of a resident evil 1/2 type game but thats another thing lol

Offline MandateofDemise

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 07:26:58 PM »
Thanks for replies.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 10:03:36 AM »
What hewhocumsbynight said is mostly correct. The repo belongs to Xela, so there is not much I can do about its licensing, although we never intended to prevent people from using Pytfall code: we use private repos when we do. It's just we never bothered to do something about PF license.

Please note that while you can't use the Pytfall repo directly, you can clone or download it to check the source code and understand the game logic. That, however, will require good knowledge of both Ren'Py and python, as I believe that Pytfall is possibly the most complex game ever created in Ren'Py.
At any rate, my packs should be still available for download as well, should anyone want to take a look at their structure.

We have recently switched to Unity (cuz it works much better with almost all types of animations than Ren'Py ever will) and I'm working with another team on another game. I highly doubt we will ever use Ren'Py again.

As for Xela, all of his accounts were inactive for at least 1.5 years, if not more. I'm not sure he's still alive, it's not very common for people to suddenly abandon all their accounts like that.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:22:01 AM by DarkTl »