devolution

Author Topic: <-- Archived -->  (Read 38760 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: -PyTFall- Communication and Repository Information
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 01:06:41 PM »
Odd question here, once you've cloned the code, what's the file you direct renpy to? All 3 .rpy files in the base pytfall directory (screens, options, script) all are not understood by the program.

You simply start the RenPy and game will appear under projects, then you simply launch it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline akab

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »

I'm trying to download the program using the syntax:
git clone -- recursive git ://git.code.sf.net/p/pytfall/pytfall pytfall

Everything starts normally ... compact objects: 6337
then starts to download ...
but (git version 1.8.3. downloaded and installed fresh) remains stuck in downloading in variable percentages.

Any suggestions ?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 09:21:19 AM »
Any suggestions ?

1) Keep trying, as far as I can tell, with git you don't loose the progress. So your will get the repo eventually.

2) Don't download it at all... It's a dev version that is not playable yet and not set up to be even remotely as a playable game.
Like what we're doing?

Offline akab

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 09:51:18 AM »

Thanks Git he succeeded at the end (before I read your post).

I'll wait for the beta test. I wish you good work. ;)

Thank you for your kind reply :D

Offline rayray22

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 07:55:50 PM »
mine wont start up it just opens a note pad and says

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While executing init code:
  File "game/library/initialization.rpy", line 1, in script
  File "game/library/initialization.rpy", line 139, in python
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'C:\\Users\\connor\\Downloads\\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\\pytfall\\game/content/gfx/bg/locations\\*.*'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\connor\Downloads\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 265, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "C:\Users\connor\Downloads\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 269, in main
    game.context().run(node)
  File "C:\Users\connor\Downloads\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\execution.py", line 288, in run
    node.execute()
  File "C:\Users\connor\Downloads\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 718, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\connor\Downloads\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1297, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/library/initialization.rpy", line 139, in <module>
    for fname in os.listdir(gamedir + '/content/gfx/bg/locations'):
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'C:\\Users\\connor\\Downloads\\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\\pytfall\\game/content/gfx/bg/locations\\*.*'

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.15.7.374
PytFall 0.29

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 12:27:42 AM »
mine wont start up it just opens a note pad and says

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While executing init code:
  File "game/library/initialization.rpy", line 1, in script
  File "game/library/initialization.rpy", line 139, in python

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\connor\Downloads\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 265, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "C:\Users\connor\Downloads\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 269, in main
    game.context().run(node)
  File "C:\Users\connor\Downloads\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\execution.py", line 288, in run
    node.execute()
  File "C:\Users\connor\Downloads\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 718, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\connor\Downloads\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy-6.15.7-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1297, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/library/initialization.rpy", line 139, in <module>
    for fname in os.listdir(gamedir + '/content/gfx/bg/locations'):

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.15.7.374
PytFall 0.29

Looks like you've got only the script files without the submodule (that's where all the graphics are) or the submodule download was incomplete, try the instructions on the front page of this thread again.
Like what we're doing?

Offline ninjinto

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 09:43:27 AM »
2) Don't download it at all... It's a dev version that is not playable yet and not set up to be even remotely as a playable game.

Huh. Yeah, I couldn't download it. I think Git just hates me or something; it's acting as if it doesn't even have the functionality to clone. Will probably need to look at that later and/or install something different to fetch the file.

Do you need anything in particular for the project? I do an awful lot in gamedev work from coding to music to GUI design; I'm a bit overextended but if any little thing is missing to get a steady beta up and running I can probably fill in whatever gaps there might be.

On another note, once you're ready to start testing please make a direct HTTP download available - things like Git can just flat out refuse to work for the strangest reasons. People can figure out how to plug a piece of Python code into renpy but it isn't really a 'figure out' thing to make uncooperative 3rd party software stop glitching.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
Huh. Yeah, I couldn't download it. I think Git just hates me or something; it's acting as if it doesn't even have the functionality to clone. Will probably need to look at that later and/or install something different to fetch the file.

Git is one of the least user-friendly pieces of software I came across lately. It requires users to have quite an extensive understanding of it's innerworkings before it can be used properly.

Currently git version is not being updated as I am the only one who's working on codebase, making updating it redundant and impractical. Rudi's work on tagging system is self-sufficient and doesn't effect other parts of the game. Only my desktop is set-up for git and I don't have access to it right now.

Do you need anything in particular for the project? I do an awful lot in gamedev work from coding to music to GUI design; I'm a bit overextended but if any little thing is missing to get a steady beta up and running I can probably fill in whatever gaps there might be.

It's not any one "thing", we need a whole bunch of texts, balancing, finalizing a number of smaller designs. This is a pretty largescale project so if you're already stretched thin, getting involved might not be a good idea.

If you have extensive experience with some specific area you think might be useful for PyTFall, let us know.

On another note, once you're ready to start testing please make a direct HTTP download available - things like Git can just flat out refuse to work for the strangest reasons. People can figure out how to plug a piece of Python code into renpy but it isn't really a 'figure out' thing to make uncooperative 3rd party software stop glitching.

LoL

I can make it a promise, we never intended to distribute the game through git. It's impractical and comes with to many issues. Git is useful when multiple people are working on codebase/content at the same time, other than that, it has somewhat limited uses.
Like what we're doing?

Offline ninjinto

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 11:30:52 AM »
If you have extensive experience with some specific area you think might be useful for PyTFall, let us know.

Considering the scope of the project, probably programming. Programming doesn't have to be core system work; it could just be adding niche features to broaden the gameplay.

I'll make another attempt at fetching the stuff later and if I find any source code I'll just see what I can do with it. Hard to say what all is what without getting a good look at things; I've been on sourceforge for a long time and I'm used to fetching project files so it's just a matter of waiting for Git to cooperate with me. Definitely agree that it isn't user friendly; considering other options for source control might be a good idea.

I want to say subversion, but then I googled it and it wants me to download via Git. =/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:32:33 AM by ninjinto »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 01:14:17 PM »
Considering the scope of the project, probably programming. Programming doesn't have to be core system work; it could just be adding niche features to broaden the gameplay.

Well, tell me how it works out. If you are going to work on the code, I'll try to set up git at my laptop and update SF version with more recent version of code. Right now we're using db for it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline ninjinto

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »
The error I'm getting:

$ git clone --recursive git://git.code.sf.net/p/pytfall/pytfall pytfall
Cloning into 'pytfall'...
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

Are there any login credentials required? The fact that it seems to have worked for at least one other tester here suggests that either there is some temporary disruption at the file's end of things or Git just feels like being a pest to me.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 03:02:38 PM »
Are there any login credentials required?

No... should just work.
Like what we're doing?

Offline ninjinto

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 03:05:30 PM »
Maybe it'll just randomly decide to cooperate later. Or maybe it could work if I set my Linux machine back up and try it there. Or maybe something besides Git bash will work better; will explore options and search around for clues.

Update: using Git GUI at least allows me to fetch the files properly. Haven't gotten the thing running yet but that's a great leap forward from ye olde generic do-nothing error.

Update 2: Merge tells me it can't merge without commit. Commit tells me it can't commit without merge. At least I'm up to where I expected to be by this point; just doing some quick checking and will probably get it running tomorrow-ish.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:22:19 PM by ninjinto »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 03:53:34 PM »
Maybe it'll just randomly decide to cooperate later. Or maybe it could work if I set my Linux machine back up and try it there. Or maybe something besides Git bash will work better; will explore options and search around for clues.

Update: using Git GUI at least allows me to fetch the files properly. Haven't gotten the thing running yet but that's a great leap forward from ye olde generic do-nothing error.

Update 2: Merge tells me it can't merge without commit. Commit tells me it can't commit without merge. At least I'm up to where I expected to be by this point; just doing some quick checking and will probably get it running tomorrow-ish.

LoL

Good luck. I'll see if I can install git on my laptop and figure out how to connect to sourceforge tomorrow as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »
===============================

Git Repo will be offline until further notice as I intend to simplify it by creating a new repo with project as a whole available on a singe repo instead of being split in two.

-----
I've updated the info in the first post. Tell me if it is working :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:08:31 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?