devolution

Author Topic: application failed... will not install  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Barkester

application failed... will not install
« on: April 26, 2011, 03:07:31 AM »
  Sounds like a great game , but doesn't install . My Pentium 4 with XP and the Windows Visual 2010 gives the following error as does the computer at the local cafe :
The application has failed to start because the configuration is incorrect . Reinstalling may fix the problem .

What are the video card ram requirements ? Do I need the newest computer to play ?

Do I require a net connection to install ?

Is there a special folder I should install to (I've tried several including Programs) ?

Lastly , tell me honestly as I have very special software installed to coral Windows verification , cookies , spyware , and the lot . Do I need to disable any such ?

Love to try your game , but alas I am vexed .

Thanks in advance for any help . Hopefully I can return the favor with some good ideas at some point .

Lastly , It's great what you're doing . Freespace wouldn't share their sourcecode and we know what happened to them . Thanks for the code and I hope you have a Linux mod someday . I hate Windows . 

Offline djwhite1984

Re: application failed... will not install
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:15:45 PM »
  Do I need the newest computer to play ? >> No
  Do I require a net connection to install ? >> No

Is there a special folder I should install to (I've tried several including Programs) ? >> No

Lastly , tell me honestly as I have very special software installed to coral Windows verification , cookies , spyware , and the lot . Do I need to disable any such ? >> YES - I had to configure my Comodo Internet Security System and had to enable the Gaming Mode, so the application doesn't have to ask for permission for every code line!!If you configure your  Security System right the start isn't a problem. If you give per line permission the game/software aborts, because of memory error. The reason: Clicking is too slow

Offline redle

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:15:24 PM »
Reread the post that contains the link for the full download.  It gives a few more steps to attempt a fix.  After the VC++ 2010 file it mentions downloading the 2008 and 2005 distributables (not by name, but the link for each is there).

I was going to use the game on a PC recently that wasn't the standard build.  It still wouldn't run after the 2010, but once I ran the other two as well everything was fine.  Your error sounds familiar, as though it is what I had.

Offline Barkester

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:51:31 AM »
  Thanks just the same for the replies . The Windows installations had dreadful effect on my system and I blew my final gasket .

I'm now Linux only and will be watching for any Linux releases . I'm also looking into WINE .

Good luck with your Windows stuff . I'm gonna get on that .

And sorry for the late reply . Took a while to get this new OS figured out .