devolution

Author Topic: What software/IDE is best for editing the game?  (Read 4265 times)

Offline dpman03

What software/IDE is best for editing the game?
« on: May 17, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »
I've been programming on an amateur basis for a long time, and I'm relatively familiar with C/C++.  I've been trying to play with the code off the SVN repository, but I have no idea how to get it to compile.  I'm used to GCC and have absolutely no experience with Visual Studio.  I tried opening the project with Visual Studio 2010, and it went through some obtuse import process and then utterly failed to work.

I'm guessing that the code was written using an earlier version of Visual Studio, and I'm wondering if I'd be better off using something other than VS 2010.  Regardless, I'd like to know if there's anything specific I need to do to get the files to link and compile correctly.

Offline some_loli_catgirl

Re: What software/IDE is best for editing the game?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »
Visual C++ Express 2008 works perfectly.  Import was failing on something newer?  That's weird.  What was failing?  Maybe re-add all the files to the project if you need to?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:43:36 AM »
Never had any trouble compiling the project and it works with VS 2010.,,
Like what we're doing?

Offline GonDra

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 10:03:48 AM »
I have no problems opening and compiling it with VC++ 2010 express edition, but you may have to change 'Revision.h' to prevent the svn revision failure thing.

Offline blayzebright

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »
I'm using Visual Studio 2008 Pro myself and every time I try to compile it, it gives a very generic "A tool returned an error code from 'Performing Pre-Build Event...'". Is there anything that might be causing that?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:46:45 AM »
I'm using Visual Studio 2008 Pro myself and every time I try to compile it, it gives a very generic "A tool returned an error code from 'Performing Pre-Build Event...'". Is there anything that might be causing that?

I believe there are two 'projects' you can load(they load the same data). One for VS 2008 and other for VS 2010. You prolly launched the wrong one...
Like what we're doing?

Offline GonDra

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »

Actually sounds like your project tries to call the external .exe for the svn revision.
You should be able to disable the prebuild event in the project properties under 'build events'->'prebuild events'.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 02:23:41 AM »
I've been programming on an amateur basis for a long time, and I'm relatively familiar with C/C++.  I've been trying to play with the code off the SVN repository, but I have no idea how to get it to compile.  I'm used to GCC and have absolutely no experience with Visual Studio.  I tried opening the project with Visual Studio 2010, and it went through some obtuse import process and then utterly failed to work.

For what it's worth, I always used to use vi to edit it, and make to compile.