devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3817556 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2475 on: March 27, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
where can i find configuration file which contain player gold ?
in the current alpha
thankx

There is none. You can only edit that in a script file.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2476 on: March 27, 2014, 10:25:45 AM »
Xela, use db links for my packs for now, I'm uploading packs to mega currently, so I removed all old ones.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2477 on: March 27, 2014, 10:37:53 AM »
Xela, use db links for my packs for now, I'm uploading packs to mega currently, so I removed all old ones.

You should create your own thread and maintain it or we'll have no end to inconsistencies. I can delete the packs posted in Alpha release thread once you got that setup.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2478 on: March 27, 2014, 10:43:52 AM »
Which of my packs are included in the release?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2479 on: March 27, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »
Which of my packs are included in the release?

Naruto/TouHou/One Piece and all Random Packs.

Make sure you don't have faulty traits (test with the Alpha if you're releasing for it). Current version was updated with tiny bit of code to test for traits differently.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Marquis

« Reply #2480 on: March 27, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »

Hopefully this is where you want feedback on the Alpha. If not, you might want to start a thread.

Overall impression is that this is great for an Alpha.
I was able to download, install and play without any hiccups.
Got to turn 85 without any crashes.
It looks great and the gameplay is mostly intuitive.
Music and sound fx are great. Pix are high quality and a nice mix for an alpha. Text was amusing.

Alpha suggestion:
It would be helpful to have a txt file with any features that aren't yet working.
For example, I 'looked around' in many of the areas and only got 'bupkis' type responses. I wasn't sure if I was just unlucky or if some areas had no 'look around' events.

Main menu
You should have a 'continue' button and/or 'load save' button in addition or instead of 'load QS'.
The QS is not always the most recent save.

Keyboard shortcuts
Are there any? I can understand if they aren't yet implemented, but having to hit the upper right hand corner 'x' repeatedly is a pain.

Main Character
It seems I can only be male at start, despite having female avatars. Female armor is therefore unusable by MC.

Battle
When choosing dogfights, having the potential opponents sorted by reputation would be useful.
Is 'bestiary' enabled yet? All I see are silhouettes with "?". Another case where I wasn't sure if it wasn't implemented or if I just wasn't high enough reputation yet.
Dogfight and Survival battles work fine.

Meet girls
Are interactions persistent? e.g. If I give a gift or compliment that works, will it carryover to the next time I meet the same girl?
Never got the same girl twice to check. The named beggar in the Park seemed not to keep any positives from the three times I bought her food.

Starting gold
10k may be okay for when the game is balanced, but it's too low to test a wide variety of features. Which .rpy file has that?
(Yes, I know editing .rpy files with Editra or whatever may break the game.)

Income tax
This was my biggest gripe on balance. The jump from 0 to 10% when gross income hits 5,000 is fun-breaking.
I was grinding up income from my two girls and the MC either working or arena fighting, but when I hit 5,000/week gross, my funds started diving and I stopped playing.
Income tax should be on net income, not gross. Also, you might want to check the income calculator- I started exceeding 7,000 and have no idea how.
The two girls were averaging about 40gold per AP which meant about 1100/week gross. The MC worked at the arena for about 1,000/week gross,
yet the last weekly income (days 78-84) was >7,000. Is the income calculated actually Year-to-date?

Cheers.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2481 on: March 27, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »
Make sure you don't have faulty traits (test with the Alpha if you're releasing for it). Current version was updated with tiny bit of code to test for traits differently.
I won't touch data files for now. During the code review we will change Edgy to Timid simultaneously everywhere.

I created my own thread for packs, using db links there for now. This is ridiculous, I pretty much cannot upload to mega files more than 100 MB, it keeps retrying after 60-70%.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:15:05 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2482 on: March 27, 2014, 12:26:46 PM »
Hopefully this is where you want feedback on the Alpha. If not, you might want to start a thread.

Overall impression is that this is great for an Alpha.
I was able to download, install and play without any hiccups.
Got to turn 85 without any crashes.
It looks great and the gameplay is mostly intuitive.
Music and sound fx are great. Pix are high quality and a nice mix for an alpha. Text was amusing.

Thanks for the feedback, here will be fine.

Alpha suggestion:
It would be helpful to have a txt file with any features that aren't yet working.
For example, I 'looked around' in many of the areas and only got 'bupkis' type responses. I wasn't sure if I was just unlucky or if some areas had no 'look around' events.

Might be a good idea but documenting everything will take a long while, events are very few so documenting those shouldn't be very hard.

Right now you an find a beggar in the park, mage girl near the tower, two leprechauns (forest/park), randomly shown pics in the beach/beach right and randomly find money/items everywhere. Witch/leprechauns will teach spells and some NPCs can train you. Mage girl can adjust alignment. There is a minor event introducing a team near the arena.

Main menu
You should have a 'continue' button and/or 'load save' button in addition or instead of 'load QS'.
The QS is not always the most recent save.

It will load the save made with QS button. Not the latest save made. That way of saving is currently the most reliable.

Keyboard shortcuts
Are there any? I can understand if they aren't yet implemented, but having to hit the upper right hand corner 'x' repeatedly is a pain.

Yeah, something like that was already requested on another forum along with some other good ideas for gui improvements. We'll work on that.

Main Character
It seems I can only be male at start, despite having female avatars. Female armor is therefore unusable by MC.

There is one avatar but according to CW he only looks like a girl. It's not possible to start with a female MC, that would also require several versions of most texts and events, we cannot afford that at the current development team size. I warned him it will be a cause for confusion.

Battle
When choosing dogfights, having the potential opponents sorted by reputation would be useful.
Is 'bestiary' enabled yet? All I see are silhouettes with "?". Another case where I wasn't sure if it wasn't implemented or if I just wasn't high enough reputation yet.
Dogfight and Survival battles work fine.

I'll look into the sorting, it's not difficult, I just never know what to sort by, arena reputation is not the best indicator here. But it was already planed.

Bestiary is incomplete as it lacks spells, attacks and alignments and there are no description, but once you defeat a mob once in the Survival, it will be unlocked and you can see it's relative stats and name at the very least.

Meet girls
Are interactions persistent? e.g. If I give a gift or compliment that works, will it carryover to the next time I meet the same girl?
Never got the same girl twice to check. The named beggar in the Park seemed not to keep any positives from the three times I bought her food.

Yes, it will. Same girl should stick around at the same location, even if she leaves it, you will see the girls you've already talked with at highest priority as the left girl on the screen when that screen is resolved by the code. You should have no trouble finding girls you already have any positive relationship with.

Beggar is not even an NPC, just a part of generic event. She will rob you blind if you respond with WTF. We'll improve upon that event.

Starting gold
10k may be okay for when the game is balanced, but it's too low to test a wide variety of features. Which .rpy file has that?
(Yes, I know editing .rpy files with Editra or whatever may break the game.)

pyt - classes - characters.rpy or something like that but if you don't know what you're doing I suggest to find script.rpy file, open it and find the end of label start code separator.

It should state:

Code: [Select]
    if config.developer:
        $ hero.gold = 100000
        $ hero.magic_skills ={"Windwhirl": 1, "Ice Arrow": 1, "Fire Arrow": 1, "Fire Ball Z": 1, "Divine Light": 1, "Geyser": 1, "Insatiable Spirit": 1, "Spring Thunder": 1, "Forced Dawn": 1, "Other Light": 1, "Wrath Of Nature": 1, "Clay Spikes": 1}
        show screen debugTools
    jump mainscreen
    return

You can safely modify it to:

Code: [Select]
    $ hero.gold = 100000

if config.developer:
        $ hero.gold = 100000
        $ hero.magic_skills ={"Windwhirl": 1, "Ice Arrow": 1, "Fire Arrow": 1, "Fire Ball Z": 1, "Divine Light": 1, "Geyser": 1, "Insatiable Spirit": 1, "Spring Thunder": 1, "Forced Dawn": 1, "Other Light": 1, "Wrath Of Nature": 1, "Clay Spikes": 1}
        show screen debugTools
    jump mainscreen
    return

And you'll have 100000 gold at game start. Just make sure the indentation is right.

Income tax
This was my biggest gripe on balance. The jump from 0 to 10% when gross income hits 5,000 is fun-breaking.
I was grinding up income from my two girls and the MC either working or arena fighting, but when I hit 5,000/week gross, my funds started diving and I stopped playing.
Income tax should be on net income, not gross. Also, you might want to check the income calculator- I started exceeding 7,000 and have no idea how.
The two girls were averaging about 40gold per AP which meant about 1100/week gross. The MC worked at the arena for about 1,000/week gross,
yet the last weekly income (days 78-84) was >7,000. Is the income calculated actually Year-to-date?

You pay taxes off the property you own (buildings/slaves) and brothel income (only brothel income, arena/jobs are not included). I'll take a look at the formula just in case, but it passed mine last round of testing.

Since it's a very recently installed system, there might be bugs... income should be calculated over the period of day - 7 days... maybe there is a mistake somewhere.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Longherin

« Reply #2483 on: March 27, 2014, 12:47:45 PM »
I second the notion of having a specific alpha release feedback thread. or third, or...

Anyways.

(Disclaimer: I'm not sure how much of the GUI is placeholder and how much is "intended", so...)
1. The town icons should be bigger, or somehow POP enough (or have just a square hit detection box). They're a little hard to see as they are now.

2. There should be an alternative to the X at the corner for returning to the previous page. Maybe the escape key? It feels like having to go to the corner to go back a window messes with the flow of the game.

3. The item window resizing with each option is, uh. A little irritating. Doubly so with the mouse-only browsing.
3a. The scroll bar. Good god the scroll bar.

...That's about all I've got. Haven't gone deep enough into the content rabbithole to say anything about that.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2484 on: March 27, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2485 on: March 27, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »
There is one avatar but according to CW he only looks like a girl. It's not possible to start with a female MC, that would also require several versions of most texts and events, we cannot afford that at the current development team size. I warned him it will be a cause for confusion.
...and he was in SM3 too  :(  Ok, I remove him and turn him into arena fighter instead.

But still, MC selection screen should have "sex: Male" field, because some of the other sprites may also look a bit girlish.
Also, because we started using hero portraits in the game, I think we should show a portrait and maybe even combat pic there too. I like when I know exactly what I get.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2486 on: March 27, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
...and he was in SM3 too  :(  Ok, I remove him and turn him into arena fighter instead.

But still, MC selection screen should have "sex: Male" field, because some of the other sprites may also look a bit girlish.
Also, because we started using hero portraits in the game, I think we should show a portrait and maybe even combat pic there too. I like when I know exactly what I get.

Oki, just more stuff to take care of. I'll update the sf with two small bugfixes and switch myself off :D
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2487 on: March 28, 2014, 02:20:07 AM »
Finally some luck with mega. Links updated.

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2488 on: March 28, 2014, 08:35:31 PM »

@XelaI uploaded my packs to mega and created a thread too. Please remove NGE and Sailor Moon links from alpha thread.

Service girls are working now in Alpha (not yet in repo), thanks!

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2489 on: March 29, 2014, 05:48:50 AM »
@XelaI uploaded my packs to mega and created a thread too. Please remove NGE and Sailor Moon links from alpha thread.

Service girls are working now in Alpha (not yet in repo), thanks!

Done.
Like what we're doing?