devolution

Author Topic: Off-Topic:  (Read 162474 times)

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
Re: Off-Topic:
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2009, 04:52:04 AM »
For anyone still interested in HentaiHighSchool, I got bored and fixed the 2 outstanding bugs I knew of, thanks to DocClox posting a link to the source. ;D

Bugs fixed:
  • Initial savegames from any but the first school would not fully load properly; this was a bug in the game loading code, where it wasn't setting the current school properly and thus loading the default base data for the first school.
  • Loading a game, exiting to the main menu, and then trying to load another game would result in a crash; this was due to the save/load form being trashed and not re-initialized properly next time around.

So, here's the updated executable, just drop it in your HHS installation directory (might back up the original just in case):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zk4u3mnmynx/HHS_1.0.0.1_exe.zip

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2009, 12:08:42 PM »
Nice work!  Now I can go finish the game.  >;o)
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline letmein

« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »
Yeah, I found the SimGirl forum once and saw that some people were redoing it.  From what I can tell, though, they had the typical short burst of work done followed by a much longer period of stagnation;  hopefully they can get past the hump and actually follow through.

As for SimBro2, well, what all these things require is a truly dedicated programmer.  He doesn't necessarily have to do all the work, but there has to be one person who steps up and consistently gets things done and stays on track - WM has necno, SM2 has cmacleod42, most of the original 'greats' were done by pooolka.  This applies to all amatuer games and mods as well;  teams may be nice in theory, but when it comes down to it there has to be one definate leader to keep the ball rolling.

Oh, and good job, Dagoth.  Very nice.  Sad that no one ever did anything else with that source, though; I still think HHS had lots of potential.
Still lurking.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »
Maybe when WM is done, we can spawn a new project to either fix HHS or make HHS2.  I don't want to push anything on anyone - I certainly don't have to coding skills to lead the project - just throwing the option out there.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2009, 01:30:08 PM »
Eh, I may see what I can do with HHS once I get a bit more time.  Kind of busy at the moment.  If I do plan to do anything major though I probably will change the language up, mainly because I have not spent a lot of time learning c#. I can program in it, but I'd rather do it in either python or c++ if only for the fact I like those languages better.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2009, 01:41:24 PM »
I might have mentioned this before, but take a look at Boo. Python like syntax, and compiles into the .NET CIL. Good if you're working with .NET but don't like C# and VB.Net

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »
Will look into boo, I need to work with .net. For this, I was going to try to go for better multi-platform support. I know about mono, but I don't know how complete it is so I am not going to trust it.

Offline letmein

« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2009, 02:02:30 PM »
I wouldn't put too muchc effort into it, delta.  In my opinion, the game either needs very little done to it, or a whole lot, and I'd rather see you working with necno on new games before redoing old ones.  That's one of the things that kind of disappoints me about SM2 and SimBro2; there is so much effort and talent being put into them, when they were good games in their own right to begin with.  Use them as inspiration, don't just keep remaking them and adding relatively minor modifications to them...  that's not to say that they didn't deserve a bit of a makeover, but in the case of SM2 especially, after the original bugs were hunted out and the initial girls polished I think it would have been better to leave it, and for cmac to have started working on something new and interesting.
Still lurking.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »
All I was really planing to do for major changes was to make the schools play differently and fix bugs.  Right now, there is no reason other than different starting stats to use the other schools, the first one is really all you need.

Offline letmein

« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2009, 02:20:07 PM »
Ah.  Yeah, I could see how a a couple dozen unique events per school could be useful.
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2009, 02:44:19 PM »
Will look into boo, I need to work with .net. For this, I was going to try to go for better multi-platform support. I know about mono, but I don't know how complete it is so I am not going to trust it.

I can understand that. Mono is pretty cool, and mono apps written on Linux will largely run unaltered on Windows (or at least the ones I wrote in my last job did).

The problem is going the other way. A lot of windows apps call native code, which blows any cross platform capability out of the water. The Mono windows.forms support is a little ropey, too.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2009, 04:44:03 PM »
Should have been when I need to work with .net. 

Letmein, that and tweaking rep. Nothing to hard.

Offline letmein

« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2009, 05:11:40 PM »
FYI, this is now the longest thread in the forum!  I'm so proud of my creation...   on the other hand, it has only a quarter of the page views of some dumb thing named "Download v1.29", so that's a bummer.

EDIT: speaking of that - I told you, Doc, that I'd never get back ahead of you in post count.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:13:23 PM by letmein »
Still lurking.

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2009, 09:23:08 PM »
Well if you can somehow sabotage Doc Internets you will pass him in like a day or two but the main reason you guys raise your post count so high is cause you have discussions about code and stuff in between each other as oppose  to me that live to live in the user mod forums
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2009, 10:28:44 PM »
H. High is a very neat game. I'd like to see some of the problems fixed, but I would rather see this game fixed up first like Letmein said. :p
Yeah I don't think my post count will reach Doc and Letmeins for a while either, all I do is offer ideas and my opinion. I don't know anything about code.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go