Author Topic: Off-Topic:  (Read 163960 times)

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
Re: Off-Topic:
« Reply #240 on: December 11, 2009, 06:16:14 PM »
"Dirty" is sometime used (at lest were I live) to say it has booze in it >.>
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2009, 10:55:56 PM »
I just finished playing through Kanon (now that there is finally an English patch for it).  This one is a fantastic game if you actually like a good story in your hentai games.

Personally, I think Kanon would have been better without the sex scenes (they have a rather kludgy, thrown-together-at-the-last-minute feel to them), but it wouldn't be much of a hentai game if you take them out.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #242 on: December 20, 2009, 10:20:26 PM »
Well frak me, I think I just nuked my desktop >.<

I've been trying to get Two Worlds to run without crashing every 2-10 minutes (which involved much uninstallation, cleaning, and reinstallation of drivers among other things) and now Windows won't boot at all, not even in safe mode.  Dodgammit!

Well, at least I got to see some new BSoD's I'd never seen before.

Time to go backup everything I care about via the command console in the installation environment.  This is gonna suck worse than being forced to watch Titanic.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2009, 10:27:08 PM »
Ouch, how big is the hard drive. 

Offline letmein

« Reply #244 on: December 20, 2009, 10:57:31 PM »
Nice, zodiac.

You know, if that were ever to happen to me, I think I'd just get an entirely new computer...  really, all I need is the proper excuse.  I'd do it now, but I'd feel kinda bad - my parents spent a lot of money getting me a shiny laptop, and you know, it *was* a really nice laptop.  Two years ago, and if you want a laptop, which I wasn't certain about..  The thing never properly ran the games I wanted it to, and I can't do anything to update the hardware.

And of course, there's the small problem that I'm jobless and in college, and spending money is kinda a bad idea under those conditions.

EDIT:  and to you programmer types, don't think I haven't noticed the 'merging' thread in the devo forum.  Work faster, or face my [mostly ineffective] wrath...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:59:29 PM by letmein »
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #245 on: December 20, 2009, 11:00:12 PM »
This is when I tend to reach for the Linux live CD and boot from that. You can mount the filesystem and save your files with a proper file manager. If you use something like DamnSmallLinux, it'll even run from a ramdisc, so you can use the CD drive for backups

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #246 on: December 20, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Letmein I'm working as fast as I can, with out going insane.  Also what games do you want to run.  I spent 500 dollars us on a laptop that can run oblivion at a decent frame rate after I tweaked the settings file and downloaded some performance boosting mods.

I need to get a live usb of ubuntu or damn small linux for that purpose.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #247 on: December 20, 2009, 11:26:07 PM »
Why is it never the carrot and always the big stick? :)

If you want a USB boot, go for DSL. Ubuntu is a bit heavyweight for a USB drive. Although with the size of  usb sticks these days, that's probably not as much a problem as it used to be

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #248 on: December 20, 2009, 11:51:33 PM »
Eh, I can get a 2 GB for 12 dollars and that is not the cheapest price out there, so ubuntu is fine for live usb these days.

Offline letmein

« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2009, 12:08:13 AM »
It's the big stick because through the magic of the Internet, people can give random threats about anything and everything.  It's much harder to give random incentives, because with the exception of praise (which by definition happens after the fact) incentives require something concrete, i.e. some sort of commitment and/or physical contact.  Who wants to make commitments, or - gasp! - actually try to go somewhere to meet somebody and give them a pat on the back?  Nope.  Thus, random and incessant threats, cajoling, ridicule, rantings, ravings, insults and various other negativities.  It's just easier that way.

And yeah, I had quite a few games running just fine at one point.  Oblivion, Mass Effect, Civilization IV, Half-Life 2, etc.   The problem is, these all used to work properly.  I came to the conclusion my laptop was actually too powerful, and the fucker overheats.  The idiots that made it didn't upgrade the fan when slamming in a powerful (and, even worse, integrated) graphics card, sound card, processor et al.  The small one worked OK for about two months, until things started to get a little dusty (which, due to another awesome facet of the design, you cannot get at to clean out) and old it basically didn't' work at all.  I already replaced the entire melted-down motherboard under warranty at the year marker.  And, sure enough, the computer worked fine again for a while, but I've put more than a year on the new board and it shows.  I tried to be a little nicer on this one, but at this point I have trouble just playing music for longer than six hours.

EDIT:  and USB is definately the way to go.  At this point, I'm pretty sure they're actually cheaper than an equivalent amount of CD space.
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2009, 12:24:57 AM »
It's the big stick because through the magic of the Internet, people can give random threats about anything and everything.

Actually, that was pretty much a rhetorical question :)

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2009, 12:42:23 AM »
Dvd and Cd are still cheaper than usb per GB of storage. What I am waiting for to drop in price are solid state hard drives especially for laptops.  Once they get to a reasonable price, say goodbye to load times for most games.

I understand the heat issue. the trick for my laptop is to put a small book underneath the back edge of the laptop and have it on the box it came with when working on my bed. It does not get too hot that way.  I do need to clean the dust out though.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #252 on: December 21, 2009, 02:24:36 AM »
If I only had a job, the first thing I would do is replace my aging desktop.  I originally built it 5 years ago (well, 2 weeks shy of 5 years - its b-day is Jan 5), and since have upgraded or RMA'd every piece of the original hardware except for a pair of WD Raptors in RAID 0 (not so impressive when compared with today's high end SSD's, but it kicked ass in its day).  It's like an old Olympiad who has undergone multiple joint replacement surgeries.

[edit]

Wow, I'm on a roll today.  I just deleted the primary partition of a storage drive during the installation when I meant to delete the primary partition on the RAID array.  I'm crossing my fingers and hoping against hope that TestDisk does as it promises and allows me to undelete the partition.

[edit 2]

Holy shit, it worked.  All my data is intact.  Now if only I can stop being a complete dumbass...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:08:09 AM by zodiac44 »

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »
http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/luefter/coolbook_360/index_en.html

When I use it it stays cool enough for main fan to remain under mid speed, so it's tolerable. I've even seen same coolers under names of different manufacturers (read noname chinese). But when it comes to gaming nothing beats desktop (well, relatively, my PCs are kinda large towers, so they're on the floor :) ). I prefer to assemble them myself, since I overclock my CPUs buying name PCs is kinda out, and I like to choose parts myself :) .

Well, this is kinda gray area, but there's live XP cd's. I don't know if someone here heard of Hiren's Boot CD, latest version have live XP on them. It even works :) , so those that are squeamish of linux can try with that and get to regular explorer and other stuff. Plus Hiren's Boot CD has crapload of other useful stuff, drive imaging, partitioning, hdd testing, memory testing...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:48:45 PM by Solo761 »

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »
Yeah, "laptop" and "gaming" are two words that don't go together.  This laptop I bought a few years back thinking I could game on it when away from my desktop - and I could, right up until the point where the new games needed newer drivers than the ones Quanta approved for the GeForce 6600GT.  It *might* work again now that I'm running the Windows 7 beta on it (with updated drivers), but the machine is so slow that there is little point in trying.

The next time I buy a laptop, I'm definitely going to skip on the discrete graphics options, unless laptop design advances sufficiently to allow me to choose my own components, rather than a limited set approved by a whitebox OEM.