devolution

Author Topic: Off-Topic:  (Read 163959 times)

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
Re: Off-Topic:
« Reply #255 on: December 21, 2009, 06:43:30 PM »
Ah yes, drivers for graphics card, I think that dell made 3 (three) for that GF4200go in that 5 years I had it. Of course, they were all released during the first year. Luckily I found http://www.laptopvideo2go.com where there were modded drivers that could be installed on mobile graphics cards. And again, of course that any combination worked. I found only few, and they were also rather dated.

But now it's different, at least for nVidia cards but I suppose same is with ATI mobile cards. My current Acer has GF 9600m GT and drivers can be downloaded from nVidia's site, just like drivers for normal ones. I'm really glad they abandoned that "contact your notebook manufacturer" crap...

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #256 on: December 21, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »
The laptop I use which uses an ATI chip set is the same, use the drivers from their site.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #257 on: December 21, 2009, 10:11:18 PM »
OEM's used to be able to change all kinds of shit in the discrete graphics cards installed in laptops, much of which was controlled through the driver.  Often times, they would disable features or reduce clock rates to cut down on heat and power.  Using the drivers from Ati or Nvidia could increase the heat generated by the card and overwhelm the cooling system, causing damage to the laptop.  Nowadays, I think Ati and Nvidia exert more control over what the OEM's are allowed to do, so the generic drivers will work.

[edit]

Now if I just hook up this Arc reactor to the flux capacitor, and BZZZZZZZZZZT!

It's ALIVE!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Now lets see if I can play Two Worlds without crashing...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:33:55 PM by zodiac44 »
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Zeus

« Reply #258 on: December 22, 2009, 07:50:03 PM »
mh... Is there a possibility a converter for the old girl files to the new girlx files get? Thus, without the custom 1.39 GB Girls the game's fast dull ....
(Google translate ftw... ^^ its too late to thing for my self....)
why fear 6 7? 7 8 9! (just say it loud and you understand ... mh... jokes you have to explain are crap... Sorry ^^)

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #259 on: December 22, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »
Solo's app can do what you want

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #260 on: December 22, 2009, 11:19:44 PM »
Open the old .girls files and then save them.  It defaults to saving in the new format, so you don't have to do anything special to make it happen.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline letmein

« Reply #261 on: January 18, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »
So, I'm back to college.  Any great developments since I've been otherwise distracted?
Still lurking.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2010, 05:23:47 AM »
So, I'm back to college.  Any great developments since I've been otherwise distracted?
Yes! But we're still waiting for it.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »
@Mehzerz thats probebly one of the best answers Ive seen in my whole life
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #264 on: January 19, 2010, 09:53:41 PM »
Woo-hoo!  Obamacare is dead!  Scott Brown (R) wins the special election for Kennedy's Senate seat here in Massachusetts!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34923900/ns/politics-capitol_hill/

I'm off to go celebrate.

Offline letmein

« Reply #265 on: January 19, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »
Really?  I didn't think he'd make the cut, but then again, Coakley was pretty much the worst candidate ever.  Let's hope Brown can get seated quickly...
Still lurking.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #266 on: January 19, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »
Health care reform died with kennedy. I wanted that public option damn it.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2010, 02:37:27 AM »
The problem with the public "option" is that it isn't really an option at all.  On the face of it, it is cheaper (due to subsidy, which comes out of your taxes, making it a wash for middle-class Americans), though with all government run programs, the quality of service (in this case, quality of care) will degrade over time as the willingness of Congress to subsidize at a high enough level to maintain affordable costs to consumers at a given quality of care.  Rather than sacrifice by increasing costs to consumers, they cut the quality of care.  In addition, if the cost to consumers is sufficiently below market rate, people will flock to the public option, putting private sector health care out of business.  Then, when quality of care degrades, consumers are stuck with the public "option."

The government should never compete with the private sector.  It should either socialize the health care system all the way or not at all.  Government competing with the private sector has never ended well for anyone (see the Tennessee Valley Authority as a prime example), except the politicians and bureaucrats.

I'm all for reforming our health care system: I think health insurance is a scam, and government mandated health insurance (such as we have here in Massachusetts) is an even worse scam.  In general, I think most politicians wouldn't know which hole to shit out of if they didn't have someone holding their hands through the process.  Naturally, I find it highly unlikely that they are capable of reforming the health care system in any positive way, thus I must oppose their efforts at any reform, and especially at any attempt to socialize the system.

Offline hewhoispale

« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2010, 08:16:55 AM »
So, you think the current system sucks but you oppose any attempt to fix it? That just confuses me.
I'm aware that the reform is sub-optimal, but at this point it can't be any worse than what we already have and I just want the government to pass the fucking thing so we can get on to other orders of business.
Then again, I'm from New York state where dysfunctional gridlock is par for the course.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #269 on: January 20, 2010, 09:41:16 AM »
The only reason I wanted a public option was to kill the current health insurrance bussiness and get us to a full govt. run health insurance system.  The thing is that the govt. has shown that it can run a health insurance system fairly well see medicare.  Yes it has a few issues.  Mainly the strain of all the baby boombers and the rising cost of medication.

The issue with the tennesse valley project was an issue the special interest behind the creation of the project. Kind of like what is happing with the health insurance reform bill.

I want to make the distinction clear between health care and health insurance.  Health care is what you get when you go the doctor.  Health insurance pays for this care. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:17:46 AM by delta224 »