devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3815522 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8295 on: September 02, 2016, 09:00:57 AM »
Elements descriptions fixed, numbers rebalanced. Are you going to add that different elements system which combines all resistances and absorptions or not? I don't get it.

Oh, and I've decided to do the "per damage type" damage as you've asked. It's messy and difficult but that is almost done too.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8296 on: September 02, 2016, 09:36:54 AM »
๐Ÿ”ฅ ๐ŸŒŠโ˜๐Ÿ’Žโšกโ„โ˜€โ˜ โ˜ฃ

Three of these characters are not supported, I'll see if we can dig up something else or we CAN use actual image icons directly in text which will prolly look way more awesome than unicode if we can find those...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8297 on: September 02, 2016, 10:02:50 AM »
For me these characters look very different in firefox on win7 and win10, even though it's the same firefox version with the same addons. In win 10 they are always multicolored and volumetric, almost like icons. I suppose there is advanced fonts support there.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8298 on: September 02, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »
Win7    Win10
Needless to say, multicolor version is more suitable for the game.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8299 on: September 03, 2016, 06:20:21 PM »
Oh, and I've decided to do the "per damage type" damage as you've asked. It's messy and difficult but that is almost done too.

This is so f*cking messy and complicated and ugly... it wasn't worth the effort. It's almost done anyway, gonna push tomorrow. Lets get that upcoming push working right and call it enough for the beta. I've removed evasion stats from calculations, we'll use items to enhance dodging and magic shouldn't be "dodge-able" as it almost never is in games. There may be a way to have traits defend again delivery types.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8300 on: September 03, 2016, 08:39:56 PM »
Oki, pushed the first draft, it needs a good deal of testing and I have not translated damage names to unicode (yet).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8301 on: September 04, 2016, 04:07:21 AM »
  File "game/library/interactions/GM - negative.rpy", line 64, in script
    python:
  File "game/library/interactions/GM - negative.rpy", line 67, in <module>
    result = run_default_be(enemy_team, background=back)
  File "game/library/interactions/function - interactions (GM).rpy", line 389, in run_default_be
    battle.start_battle()
  File "game/library/be/core.rpy", line 169, in start_battle
    self.main_loop()
  File "game/library/be/core.rpy", line 98, in main_loop
    ev.controller()
  File "game/library/be/core.rpy", line 1542, in __call__
    skill(ai=True, t=targets)
  File "game/library/be/core.rpy", line 526, in __call__
    self.effects_resolver(t)
  File "game/library/be/content-classes.rpy", line 807, in effects_resolver
    if not self.check_resistance(t):
AttributeError: 'BasicHealingSpell' object has no attribute 'check_resistance'

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8302 on: September 04, 2016, 04:54:19 AM »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8303 on: September 04, 2016, 05:07:33 AM »
So far look awesome. Of course damage color needs to be tweaked, it should be DMG:25 Ice:17 Air:8, not DMG:25 Ice:17 Air:8.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8304 on: September 04, 2016, 07:26:16 AM »
So far look awesome. Of course damage color needs to be tweaked, it should be DMG:25 Ice:17 Air:8, not DMG:25 Ice:17 Air:8.

We no longer report damage defense/absorption/resistance. It is really starting to feel like "too much information" if done on per damage type basis. Resistance should return 0 damage, absorption negative damage and bonus/penalty are included in the damage itself.

Still to do:

- Bind damage types to unicode and color them accordingly.
- Make sure all new items fields are in play (I've only added a few).
- Make sure absorption doesn't trigger defense from the character (maybe).
- Add new skills of all kinds.

- Test the system.

====>>
I am still thinking about changing the formula for final damage, it's a lot better now with the new system but I have not tested it in a fight between two high level chars yet (it looked plainly stupid under old system).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8305 on: September 04, 2016, 07:59:33 AM »
What's the renpy's Image-Based Fonts exactly? I have very few meaningful results from google for this term, is it using small pictures as characters? Our elements icons might be recognizable enough to be used as elements symbols in text if needed.

You left
evasion_chance = t.evasion # starting evasion chance = evasion stat
it's from the old evasion code. Unless it's gonna work for the new items fields.
I probably shouldn't edit core.rpy by myself at this point to avoid complex merging.

if "critical_hit" not in effects and self.row_penalty(t):
                    multiplier *= .5
                    effects.append("backrow_penalty")
Critical effect ignores rows damage reduction? This is debatable, ranged attacks will destroy mages.

You should do something about party gui not showing in BE if the battle is not initiated exactly like you do it in the code. If you start a fight via interactions escalation, it will use function run_default_be I wrote to avoid writing the same lines over and over. And it won't have the characters gui with health and stuff.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8306 on: September 04, 2016, 08:36:17 AM »
What's the renpy's Image-Based Fonts exactly? I have very few meaningful results from google for this term, is it using small pictures as characters? Our elements icons might be recognizable enough to be used as elements symbols in text if needed.

Instead of a standard font sheet, a png image is used. It is cropped and letters are mapped to text. I've seen it used in some games even outside of Ren'Py, usually by people who draw well and want something that looks exactly like they want it to without any restrictions that ttf type formats may bring. As I've said, we can plainly insert images right into text if some Unicode char doesn't look too well.

You left  it's from the old evasion code. Unless it's gonna work for the new items fields.
I probably shouldn't edit core.rpy by myself at this point to avoid complex merging.

Critical effect ignores rows damage reduction? This is debatable, ranged attacks will destroy mages.

- I'll remove the evasion and recheck the formula.
- I've been thinking about adding new skill for "Tanks" so they could shield backrows but you're right. I'll remove this for the time being.

You should do something about party gui not showing in BE if the battle is not initiated exactly like you do it in the code. If you start a fight via interactions escalation, it will use function run_default_be I wrote to avoid writing the same lines over and over. And it won't have the characters gui with health and stuff.

Right, I'll rebind the interface to read the left team instead of hero team. Another thing for the TODO list.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8307 on: September 04, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
Oh man.... I wrote the whole formula and approach for evasion and it looks like it's all gone now :( This stuff gets messed up because I wrote code at Desktop and Notebook both of which are connected to Dropbox and when they are on at the same time, index of of git (one of the most important files) gets all screwed up.

Gonna try and remember what the formula was like....
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8308 on: September 04, 2016, 04:01:16 PM »
Oki, huge update, loads of stuff mentioned above is fixed. Reports are half/half, icons and unicode characters. I'd definitely keep electricity and one or two other as unicode but air would prolly also look like an icon. Maybe light as well...

New items fields are:

Code: [Select]
            # BE attributes:
            # self.evasion_multiplier = 0
            # self.ch_multiplier = 0 # Critical hit multi...
            # self.damage_multiplier = 0

# self.defence_bonus = {} # Delivery! Not damage types!
            # self.defence_multiplier = {}
            # self.delivery_bonus = {} Expects a k/v pair of type: multiplier This is direct bonus added to attack power.
            # self.delivery_multiplier = {}

Prolly self-explanatory, like:

"evasion_multiplier": 0.1
adds 10% evasion chance.

and

"defence_bonus": {"magic": 100} # Delivery! Not damage types!
"defence_multiplier": {"magic": 0.2}

Will increase pure defense value against magic and add 20% to final result.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8309 on: September 04, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
How do you treat exotic stuff like poison and healing? Can one be immune to them or have a partial resistance (which is a bad thing in case of healing, naturally)?