Author Topic: Other Games Thread  (Read 417009 times)

Offline MrB

Re: Other Games Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2009, 03:24:09 PM »
Great ideas, GmanPrime!

About the different teachers: I'd vote for Negi Springfield to be taken off the roster. I dunno, having a 10 year old kid teaching classes like these is a bit too off for my taste... =P (Or I could just keep him on morals teaching duty of course. XD)

Oh, delta224 and WonderDog, if you start working on it and want us to find any images for new clubs or whatever you're planning to incorporate, be sure to mobilize us!
Looking forward to seeing what you guys can cook up.  :)

Offline GmanPrime

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »
Thanks everyone for the positive reception for the ideas.   :)   Good luck Delta on refining the game, maybe you'll have version 2 complete before Necno finishes 1.3.   :D

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2009, 08:04:23 PM »
I need to spend more time working on it and less time playing suikoden for that to happen.  I hate my jrpg addiction.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »
I dunno man, Suikoden is all kinds of awesome. I think you should be playing that instead. :p
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2009, 12:21:37 AM »
Yeah, I know the feeling. Training Quest II has eaten up more of my coding time this last fortnight than I care to contemplate.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2009, 05:12:44 PM »
Would any one mind if I replaced color combos in the HHH remake.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 05:36:58 PM »
Well... on the one hand, it's one of the things that makes the game different. To a large extent, trying to work out the best pattern of colours for the lesson plan you have is the game.

Against that ... the colour system is a real pain. If there was something better to put in its place, that would be fantastic.

Did you have anything particular in mind?

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2009, 06:02:58 PM »
I don't mind the color system per say, I think it is an interesting mechanic, but in its current incarnation, there is no explanation anywhere is the game or associated documentation that tells you a) what it is you are doing when you assign the colors to slots, b) what is happening when you pick a color for a class, c) which classes and/or teachers prefer which colors, or d) what the result of choosing a color is.  I've pretty much figured out which colors are good for which classes, but I still have no idea what I'm actually doing when I pick the color for a class.

If I pick red, am I emphasizing sex in the class?  Am I playing subliminal messages over the speakers that make students horny?  I have no clue.

If you keep the basic game mechanic that there are choices the player can make that have some influence over the class being taught (leads to stat changes in the students, teacher, or school and/or gives or takes away orbs), but change the way in which it is presented to the player (do away with putting colors in slots and picking them for classes), then you keep what is good about the system and are rid of the confusing, meaningless parts.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2009, 06:27:09 PM »
That was my main reason for replacing it zodiac. 

What I was planning to replace it with a system where you tell the teacher more or less what the lesson should focus on, such as should it focus on sex, learning, behavior,joy, morality or nothing on the screen that has you pick the color in version 1.  One limit would be that you can only influence so many classes per turn to one focus.  Of course I will make it so that you can upgrade to have more classes that you can influence per turn.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »
Sounds reasonable - try it and see how it works.

Offline NuMysterio

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »
I like the color system as a concept, and for the most part it works rather well.  But like zodiac said, without documentation or definition, it is a pain to learn and use.

I think I would be fine with defining the colors, and perhaps adding some (four color choices instead of two, a few extra colors perhaps), but replacing the system might be a bit much.  I think the entire game was built around the colors, from the orbs to buy upgrades to the teaching element.  Turning away from it will change the very nature of the game, and it would be simply easier to build a new game around the new system than trying to force it into the current game.

That said, perhaps a slight modification to your idea.  The influence you have is directly related to the number of orbs you have for each, so while you can encourage the focus on any one of them, how MUCH of that encouragement goes through is related to the orbs you have collected to that point.  Then with each school you can set a starting "pool" of orbs and and that would help make each school act differently.  It also provides extras to purchase and you can carry over the orbs you collect at the end of the game to the next school or something like that.  This allows the system to change without giving up the core concept of the game, the colors.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2009, 05:54:18 PM »
Isn't it interesting that in an "Other Games Thread" the topic immediately shifts to one of Pooolka's games? I suppose they're just that good.

I wonder why no one's mentioned Slave Maker...

http://rapidshare.com/files/312790504/SlaveMaker15x8.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/312795470/SlaveMaker15x8.part2.rar

Currently being updated here: http://masterbloodfer.creatuforo.com/index.php

Slave maker: You train slaves. It's uhh... during some other time... in japan, maybe... blah. It's a good game.

Hentai High School was a fun game for a while, but it got really repetitive after a while. The hentai is fairly boring and you need to sneak around too much, even in late-game.

I think that the amount of time that passes should be slowed down yet the final number of years should be kept the same, more options should be enabled, and you should be able to change the world to accept all of this so that asking for morally reprehensible rules and clubs shouldn't be as big a deal, or at all.

But that's just me.
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline letmein

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2009, 06:07:06 PM »
Oh, it's been mentioned, just not in this thread.

EDIT:  and yeah, Pooolka's definately the gold standard of this sort of thing.  The only other games that come close are a handful of dating sims and, of course, the Adult Interactive Fiction community.  Both of those are aimed at a slightly different audience, though.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 06:09:29 PM by letmein »
Still lurking.

Offline Savagefrog

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »
The reason we talk more about Hentai Highschool is it is one of the games Pooolka made that nobody else is trying to fix. Slavemaker is going well an it's forum is alive an kicking. Simbro 2 is not moving much as Karel_II is the only programmer working the code an it's forum is pretty much dieing. This forum here is alive with good people an awsome programmers. I think most of the people here that have played Hentai Highschool really want to make it better an do it justice.

exodia91

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »
I personally wouldn't mind keeping the color system as is, just implant the word that color stands for into the color blocks.