devolution

Author Topic: Take gold, give gold.  (Read 5074 times)

Offline Bloodly

Take gold, give gold.
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:34:37 PM »
"Here.  Buy yourself something nice."

We can take, why not give as well?

Offline sgb

Re: Take gold, give gold.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »
Except this is kind of pointless, as we can already cut out the middle man and just buy her an item directly.  There's no other reason for them to have gold.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:29:10 AM »
Yeah, we can just buy them items, but it would be nice to be able to give them some spending money.  Girls love shopping, in general, so giving money = happier, shopping = happier, having new things = happier, which sounds like 3x happier by my count - and the player doesn't really have to do anything at all.  It's a win-win.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline letmein

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 02:01:24 AM »
It's the same thing, to me.  Girls already tend to acquire boatloads of cash they don't spend, what's the point of giving them more?  Items and money are basically identical anyway, and if you have one of the two main item packs you have plenty of expensive, effective, and happiness-producing crap to give girls anyway.
Still lurking.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:09:20 AM »
The girls don't spend cash because....uhhh...I don't know?  It was supposed to be that they went shopping in their time off, now it seems that they don't go at all.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 03:39:16 AM »
I'd like to give my slaves pocket money. If they're not going shopping it's a bug. 

Offline Bloodly

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 06:03:51 AM »
They're not, with the minor exception that druggies will try to feed their addiction.

Offline letmein

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
I had a suspicion once that the items girls were buying were ending up in the *player's* hands - but I never found any kind of proof to support this, and I'm probably wrong.

And girls did indeed use to buy stuff for themselves, but IIRC that hasn't quite worked ever since items were revamped... or, possibly, since necno removed the autocosting mechanism.  Hmmm...
Still lurking.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »
Yeah, I haven't seen them buy anything since autocosting went away either.  I've had a ton of crap appear in my inventory when I don't have gangs exploring the catacombs, but nowhere near enough to account for what they girls should be buying on their shopping trips.

Offline letmein

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 01:59:19 PM »
Perhaps there's an event that isn't showing up properly?  One that gives you an item?
Still lurking.

Offline Alugere

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
I've been getting some stuff that's catacombs only like Venus jewels when I still have an objective to complete that I'm ignoring and have no gangs in the catacombs.

Offline sgb

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 06:43:47 PM »
The mystery items are from mission completions I think.  The game isn't always notifying the player of completing one, and late game they can be so easy to complete you will often finish them in one turn without even trying.  Girls buying themselves stuff hasn't worked for a while now.

But back to the OPs suggestion: again I fail to see how this would be useful in any way, shape, or form.  Non-slave girls acquire tons of money on their own, and don't need the help.  Slave girls technically shouldn't even be allowed to freely roam the city and spend money as they like.  There are already many items you can buy to increase happiness, so allowing the option solely as a means to increase happiness doesn't make sense either.  If there were more things to do with money, it might make sense.  But all they can do with their money is buy random stuff that may or may not actually even be usable (ie multiple dresses).  You might as well just have a store option called 'random buy', as that's essentially all your doing with this.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 06:55:49 PM »
But back to the OPs suggestion: again I fail to see how this would be useful in any way, shape, or form. 

I'd like to give my slave girls pocket money, if only as a role-playing thing. Maybe a small bonus to happiness or something, similar but inferior to giving a minor gift. It would please me to be able to do this.

Slave girls technically shouldn't even be allowed to freely roam the city and spend money as they like. 

Well, that depends. Roman slaves could have money and property, and it wasn't unheard of for them to buy their own freedom. Even in the Gor books, you'd get slavegirls roaming the city on errands, sent to buy things for the house and so forth. Why not indulge your pet once in a while?

Some things we should be able to do, just because they're fun.

On the bright side, we should be able to do this purely as a script, so it's probably going to be srictly optional.[/quote][/quote]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:15:15 AM by DocClox »

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 09:20:03 PM »
When the girls-not-buying-items thing is fixed, this will allow us to give money to slave girls, who can then use it to go equip themselves in their time off.  Ideally, the purchasing script would have them buy the best improvements that they can given the cash they have to fill out their item slots.  Girls who get rich should have the best dress, best shoes, best jewelry, etc that money can buy.  Since slaves typically wouldn't earn any money on their own, they would have to either be manually equipped by the player or be given cash with which to purchase equipment.  Since the number of girls is exceedingly large, I'm guessing that most players won't want to equip each girl manually.  Giving them money to spend with a good purchasing algorithm makes sense.

Now if we can make items relevant for maxed out girls, then the whole thing would really be worth implementing.