devolution

Author Topic: <-- Archived -->  (Read 112628 times)

Offline DarkTl

I think small weapons are done. Without BE I prefer to not create too many, otherwise they almost won't have differences, so 20 is ok for now.
The next type is normal weapon, and Norb wanted to make them. I'm beginning to suspect that we'll never see him again, but just in case I'm skipping them, so the next one is wrist.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
I think small weapons are done. Without BE I prefer to not create too many, otherwise they almost won't have differences, so 20 is ok for now.
The next type is normal weapon, and Norb wanted to make them. I'm beginning to suspect that we'll never see him again, but just in case I'm skipping them, so the next one is wrist.

Same old story... by the way, I was planning like 3 - 4 items per slot for the first release due to the lack of time :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

I'm trying to diversify items as much as possible, since we have good and bad traits for them. And I believe I'll finish preliminary version of items before the first release  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
Brothel concept has been updated. Going to make sure rooms price + room upgrades cost work.

Done and done, should all work now :)

I'll take a look at Rudi's branch and see what improvement he made to the code. Otherwise we need to clear more concepts, I have a couple of loose ends in items and brothel but we should start discussing jobs cause writing concepts usually takes time...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
==================================
We've discussed (I will be coding this in soon):

Upkeep:
Should be paid on weekly basis and preferably only for good brothels (aka property tax).

Upgrades:
As soon as we figure out what upgrades we need, I will code in a system that enables them on per brothel basis on xml. One idea I really liked is to allow more upgrades than their are slots to fill them in a brothel.

Security level:
Come up with a security level system.

Damage:
Dislike this myself, but I'll think about it.

Location: Just an extra field in the class, can be added after we have actually locations.
=====================================================================

- Ok, so I am still not sure on how to handle upkeep and what it should include... so we'll need to discuss it some more or leave it out of game for now.

- Upgrades should work flawlessly, I added some more internal logic for simpler access on checks this morning.

- Security level. Not sure how this should work either, if you have any ideas, throw them at me.

- Damage I simply dislike but is somebody really want it, it should be meaningfully concepted.

I'll start a discussion on jobs in a different thread, we need to talk about it while I tie loose ends in Brothel's logic.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Hm, part of upkeep could be based on some upgrades. You need supplies and booze for bar, for example, and the more customers have been served, the more supplies you will need tomorrow.
Another thing is area of ​​the building, the more rooms and upgrades could have the building, the more land tax. It doesn't matter if they already built or not since it's about land, not property.

One more thing is income tax. I remember wm has this one, but I don't recall its value. Here we could also use tax evasion depending on connections, MC intelligence and who knows what else.
In slums and similar locations taxes could be replaced for "protection money" for local gangs, and if you have strong enough fighters, you may refuse to pay it (and feel the consequences).

In wm security is brothel's fame from the viewpoint of security. Theoretically, you need high security in good locations, but in slums, where thugs are your major customers, you probably need it low.
However, I'm not sure how to implement it. Maybe as a set of rules for guard when to interfere and when not to?

As for damage, the only thing I'd like to use it is punishment for spells and skills of mass destruction inside the building, so it might as well be part of BE.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:21:47 AM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

You could also include some percentage of the total cost of slaves in property tax. They are property, after all.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
Hm, part of upkeep could be based on some upgrades. You need supplies and booze for bar, for example, and the more customers have been served, the more supplies you will need tomorrow.
Another thing is area of ​​the building, the more rooms and upgrades could have the building, the more land tax. It doesn't matter if they already built or not since it's about land, not property.

One more thing is income tax. I remember wm has this one, but I don't recall its value. Here we could also use tax evasion depending on connections, MC intelligence and who knows what else.
In slums and similar locations taxes could be replaced for "protection money" for local gangs, and if you have strong enough fighters, you may refuse to pay it (and feel the consequences).

In wm security is brothel's fame from the viewpoint of security. Theoretically, you need high security in good locations, but in slums, where thugs are your major customers, you probably need it low.
However, I'm not sure how to implement it. Maybe as a set of rules for guard when to interfere and when not to?

As for damage, the only thing I'd like to use it is punishment for spells and skills of mass destruction inside the building, so it might as well be part of BE.

Ok... so upkeep:

- I don't like property tax based on what you've built/upgraded. Property is yours and you do whatever you like with it, works like that everywhere (basically what you've said).
- We can also agree that any permits for bar/club/gardens are a part of their cost in order not to make the game more complicated than it has to be.

so... we're left with:

1) Upkeep that is derived from the price (lets say price/30 and payed on weekly basis).
2) Upkeep that comes with maintaining upgrades, like beer/food for club and bar based on amount of costumers, parttime gardener to take care of landscape design/garden/washing bedsheets/ability to hire cleaners if you don't want girls to do it and so on.
3) Income tax (1/10 of the total income) (can be reduced if you know the right people)
4) In bad neighborhoods, extortion money. (no need for replacement)

=====
Security rating. I have no idea what the f#ck it is, so my suggestion would be to have a number from 1 - 100 and modify it on:

- success/failure of every security event
- lower it if there is no security at all
- check stats of a random client vs random security guard every day and award rating accordingly

Also allow to set limits for costumer rank that girls will defend against.

=====
Damage... 0 - 100, to be modified on guard events and in case of gang attacks and your failure to defend...

Well, this will require a decent amount of coding so we have time to discuss jobs in the meanwhile.

You could also include some percentage of the total cost of slaves in property tax. They are property, after all.

Clearly an overkill. There is no point in over-complicating things. Also, slaves already have decent upkeep, we can just add to the description that tax is included in there... even lower it if you once again know the right people.

My take on slaves is that they should be insanely expensive for the first release (but require little upkeep as opposed to free girls that require no upkeep but expect fair wages) and all assumed to be well trained to do their duty. After we add slave training system, we'll divide them in trained (expensive) and untrained slaves (cheap).
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

If I understand the code right, free girls require no upkeep from the player. If they have traits that increase upkeep, they require the player to pay that upkeep. If they have traits lowering upkeep (if those exist), they have negative upkeep: in other words, they earn money for the player solely based on their upkeep reducing traits. Is that intentional?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
If I understand the code right, free girls require no upkeep from the player. If they have traits that increase upkeep, they require the player to pay that upkeep. If they have traits lowering upkeep (if those exist), they have negative upkeep: in other words, they earn money for the player solely based on their upkeep reducing traits. Is that intentional?

Yeap, girls were not officially designed yet but that's what we discussed somewhere.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

And wrist slot is done, 30 items this time. Next is amulet.

Offline DarkTl

Xela, how do you feel about items that temporarily change appearance by adding or removing traits? I remember you mentioned that since we unable to show it in pics, we shouldn't provide opportunities to change breast size, for example. But if we talk about a short, temporarily illusion...

Offline rudistoned

If we had paper dolls, we could show variations in breast size, skin color, hair color, tanning and so on. However, we would need an artist to create those (or borrow them from another game) and the girl images would not match the look of the paper doll.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
Xela, how do you feel about items that temporarily change appearance by adding or removing traits? I remember you mentioned that since we unable to show it in pics, we shouldn't provide opportunities to change breast size, for example. But if we talk about a short, temporarily illusion...

Sounds like a bit of a stretch... it's your call but there's little point that I can see in it outside of some quest/event.

the girl images would not match the look of the paper doll.

Yeap but paperdolls come with heap of issues as well. I never thought paperdolls were the best feature in OW, game had potential because of a battle engine, interesting world, robust items system, decent training capabilities. It will not serve us to go off course and get to graphical.

Otherwise, since RenPy will allow events in the game to be highly customizable, we can enable a number of fetishes to unique girls and have them be picture driven (where pics are available) and blocked for everyone else.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

there's little point that I can see in it outside of some quest/event.
Precisely, but not exclusively.
For example, I thought about girls with Kleptomaniac trait. Chance of stealing probably should be based on luck and maybe agility, but on reputation as well: the more reputation, the greater the chance that she will be recognized as thief, and there will be no checks for luck and agility at all (no punishment as well). So we could use items temporarily lowering reputation for such characters.

Same for girls with Assassin trait, since we eventually could use them for assassinations of competitors or some other npcs, or even mobs.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:44:17 AM by DarkTl »