Author Topic: <-- Archived --> (Jobs Concept/Explanation)  (Read 28090 times)

Offline CherryWood

Re: Jobs Concept/Explanation
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 11:05:33 AM »
Should I recode the jobs for the Alpha?
I believe that any improvements to jobs and reports are totally worth it.  :)

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 11:10:23 AM »
In absence of EE and advanced BE jobs and reports are the main elements of the game. If you feel like you can improve the code significantly, then go for it  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 11:32:01 AM »
In absence of EE and advanced BE jobs and reports are the main elements of the game. If you feel like you can improve the code significantly, then go for it  :)

I believe that any improvements to jobs and reports are totally worth it.  :)

Well, the price is further delay of the Alpha, but yeah.., I believe I can improve the shit out of code that I wrote almost 9 month ago :)

Any requests/ideas?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »
Well, the price is further delay of the Alpha
Less to do for Beta though.

Any requests/ideas?
Nothing new for now, except to do list things, like traits for customers. Maybe if you outline the logic behind jobs again, there will be new ideas.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 12:30:42 PM »
Less to do for Beta though.
Nothing new for now, except to do list things, like traits for customers. Maybe if you outline the logic behind jobs again, there will be new ideas.

Logic is very different for different jobs, it'll take to long to lay it all out. The plan is to make it flow instead of per job type execution.

I want there to be 20 logical "shifts", it will not be specified but I will assume that every shift is about 20 - 30 minutes. While/For loop will resolve job events on per shift basis. For example, client enters your brothel, he/she has an x amount of cash with them and xx amount of cash as a resource (If they make trouble/attack a girl/start barfight etc. will decide if they can pay you off or be surrendered to the authorities). Every shift a girl can take action or skip it (like due to a lack of customers for example). Actions depend on the amount of AP. Girls can strip to keep the customers in the bar/club for longer, buying drinks for as long as they are satisfied, decide to clean if place gets to dirty, go rounds serving drinks/food and so on.

The trouble with the old system is that it's to linear and did not have a manager. Basically adding interesting events on a  global scale is close to impossible since a lot of data would have to be relayed through insanely stupid and complicated ways. With new system, it would be possible for prostitutes to enter the club for example, and seduce clients, give them lapdances and do other maybe trait related stuff. Best example would be our bar fight event that is not capable of having effect on customers that were present during the event but did not participate in it, no possibility for decent, brave people to help your guards out in subduing the brawlers, no way of having a girl serve couple of round first and get hurt in the event later and so on...

If you understand the system and flow of logic, you can come up with any kind of ideas without knowing the details.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
Actions depend on the amount of AP.
How is that? Currently girls have like 2-3 AP, how it could be enough for 20 shifts?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »
How is that? Currently girls have like 2-3 AP, how it could be enough for 20 shifts?

There already is a form of conversion. APs along are inadequate for jobs and often are also hard to convert (girl that spends time at bar serving clients cannot be expressed in Action points per client for example).

AP system will never be perfect but it's most important goal are to limit actions of player and his interactions with girls per turn as well as a number of events.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 02:48:36 PM »
I forget, did we reject character skills (skill tree) or not? Because this new system look like they could work there much better then in the old one.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »
I forget, did we reject character skills (skill tree) or not? Because this new system look like they could work there much better then in the old one.

It'll be confusing, especially when slave-training kicks in and we'll add new specific stats that could be trained and add to main stats. There is no point in adding a system like that before the training as we do not know what that will involve.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 05:12:47 PM »
I wanted to post "Screw this, to much work for the Alpha", but decided to go through with this or at least a simplified version of a new system...

For the future, we can expand this to include "Pimp Mode" where player gets to make a couple of decisions during the next day events, if he has 0 AP, it'll be rather chaotic :) Alternative would be to assign one of the girls to take lead and manage shit or to assign a real matron (for large brothels only).

I still don't have a clear picture of code in my head for the new system but it might take a while to get right... for now the code I'll write will sort of assume there is a great manager (matron) at the helm to save time.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 05:31:31 AM »
I wanted to post "Screw this, to much work for the Alpha", but decided to go through with this or at least a simplified version of a new system...

Decided to "Screw this" anyway. Simplified version of a new system will be almost the same as the old one. Taking advantage of more realistic simulation of workflow would actually KILL a number of events our current system has as they're sort of "faked" on presumption of whats happening without code properly simulating the events themselves. Adding new events will take more time than I am willing to postpone the Alpha even further, we've been at it for to long, I want to see something playable...

I'll just fix up the current system a little bit, especially with some texts I could port to the new system later without fuss.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 06:24:04 AM »
Lol, you suggested it, not we  :D
Let's deal with do to list then.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 06:55:41 AM »
Lol, you suggested it, not we  :D
Let's deal with do to list then.

Yeah, I keep getting ahead of myself :(

I want to slightly improve texts for the jobs, it's in the TODO list as well. Small stuff, some loose ends and so on.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 05:43:49 PM »
Last time I messed with jobs, it was a fiasco...

Soon we'll need to address this topic again. I'll be busy for the full day tomorrow but I'll get the classes done either the day after tomorrow or this weekend for sure.

I don't know if we'll release with slightly updated old jobs or with new once but I am open for a discussion on improvements:

At the very least:

- Managers should be there in all and especially larger buildings with huge penalties and bonuses to rewards from jobs. Good MC manager should have it's own MC build... similar to Warrior/Casanova types.
- Jobs should be updated to new class system once I am done with code. <-- This is obviously a requirement and my own task.
- Jobs and buildings should be more modular OR parts that are common to any job/building should be isolated, Thewlis already did some good work in that department.
- There should be real customers build from pyt_char class. Faar better than they are now.
- Jobs should have some form of manager and events system... better structured than now.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »
Well, I suppose you can only do some very basic whoring in a building without any special equipment, and even that won't be good since girls only have their own rooms which are useable but not perfect at all.

So,
- buildings are not 100% brothels, they are just buildings for entertainment. You can build a bar and a stripclub and make money without whoring at all, though not as much money as with all options at once.
- buildings have slots aka rooms for girls. And they will have a separate group of slots for specialization.

For example, our basic building has 2 rooms for girls and will have 1 slot for specialization. After you turn it into a half-decent brothel by building brothel specialization, you will have those 2 slots for brothel upgrades available. No bar, no stripclub, nothing. But it is an old shack with 2 rooms, so it makes sense.
Or you can build a bar for a start and have less money AND less troubles with dirt and rapes  :)

In a more huge building you will build brothel+stripclub and will have more money and workers.

- cleaners and guards don't require specialization upgrades, since you can clean and guard anything.
- more jobs like sleazy waitress (after bar upgrades) that require waiting+strip skills. Singers, dancers, etc. And skills for them.
- advertising, besides default options like sign, probably should be done by your girls as well. I mean advertising jobs and upgrades for them.
- If managers will need a slot specialization, then it will be pointless to build it in small buildings. Just like it's pointless to hire a manager irl in very small companies with 2 employees. So let's do it.