devolution

Author Topic: Please add Tiredness to the Girl Management screen  (Read 8816 times)

Offline sgb

Please add Tiredness to the Girl Management screen
« on: December 20, 2009, 09:22:22 PM »
I think this is an important enough stat to warrant having it on the general info bars.  I'm pretty sure there's enough room for it, and if not truncating it to 'Tired: ##' is fine.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
Re: Please add Tiredness to the Girl Management screen
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »
Will do.

edit-- it will fit on girls with short enough names, but the name length has always been an issue.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:39:25 PM by delta224 »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:05:38 PM »
Well, I have the fixed width font working now. So I can do something I've always wanted to do and get the girl management screen lined up into proper columns. Which will let me move the field names into headers, which in turn should give us a lot more space to play with.

The main trouble is finding a fixed width font that doesn't look too high-tech. I thought monofur might work, but it still looks a bit too computer-like for my taste.

I've also moved the font file definitions into config.xml, and replaced g_FontName with a fonts section in cConfig.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »
More stuff to merge great.   ::)   At least it won't be too hard to merge this in now that they don't diverge to much.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:22:08 PM »
Well, I wanted the fixed width font so I could put a financial report on the player page. I figure detailed financial reporting is going to make finding gold bugs a lot easier. And we're going to have a few of them.

But yeah, maybe its time I started working on the trunk directly again.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 11:49:13 PM »
Work on the financial reports then start working on the trunk.  Most of the work is due to the jobs.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 07:00:20 AM »
This is what I mean:

Everything lines up, and there's even room for more information (if you don't mind truncating long names, or compressing the week count for the movies). The next thing to do is shorten the list by one and add a header along the top identifying the columns. Utimately, I'd like buttons for each header, so you could sort on a column by clicking on its header. Still one step at a time...

We could do with a better fixed width font, however.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:04:27 AM »
Nice, I will try to help out there.

edit-- I went over the previous fonts you guys went over in the font handling dev thread and I like Bitsream vera though it is a tad big.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:39:40 AM by delta224 »

Offline letmein

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:06:28 PM »
Definately go with a different font.  That shit just reminds me of DOS...
Still lurking.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 02:30:02 PM »
Think about Helvetica or Futura. They're nice Sans-serif fonts that are easy to read in multiple sizes.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
It needs to be a mono-spaced font that we can freely distribute.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 03:03:31 PM »
Which is of course where the problems start. I had to try quite a few fonts just to find one that works this well. And the player home screen looks worse :(

The alternative (assuming we want the table to work in columns) is to use composite fields, however you do that in SDL. I could read up on the problem but we probably have higher priotities.

Alternatively, if anyone wants to evaluate some fonts for me, I can upload a development snapshot. Just copy the ttf file into the game folder and edit config.xml

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
What about creating real columns instead of faking it with fixed width fonts?  Design it as a spreadsheet rather than as a text file and you don't have to worry about using fixed width fonts.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 05:37:37 PM »
That's what I was saying above: It's the best solution, but I don't know how to do it, off hand. SDL isn't like vb where you just drag a control in from a pallette.

I seriously do need to read up on some SDL and get my head around how this game works at a graphical level, on the other hand, so maybe that's the thing to do. On the other hand we have a ton of other stuff needs doing that I do know how to do...

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 05:49:12 PM »
I have a basic understanding of how sdl works, but right now I am deep in job related code that needs to be done.