devolution

Author Topic: Talk options  (Read 13007 times)

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
Re: Talk options
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 01:43:14 PM »
I think that can already be done. Not 100% sure about this but scripting could check if something (some specific trait) exists and if it does present different choices than the girl that doesn't have that trait. From my little dabbling with scripts I remember check stuff, only question is if you can check traits. Alternatively you could make custom scripts for girls that have these traits, although they would still have that script even the traits in question got removed from them somehow (like with item).

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »
I wasn't thinking of changing the dialogue tree at all. Just altering the sign of some of the effects from minus to plus.

I entirely agree that it's not going to be feasible to add everyone-and-his-dog's pet dialog option. But this is a suggestion that would take two lines of code without any GUI changes at all.

I honestly don't understand why this is proving so controversial.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »
Good discussion on game design, your both correct. There is also an issue of target audience. Some audiences find depth only from complexity, these are usually hardcore gamers and they will generally stick to strategy games and such. Then there are the casual gamers who are the types of people that prefer good dialog and narrative to provide depth and won't generally find it in higher complexity. Its just one of those things that a game designer must try to balance. Go to far either way and you lose some of your audience (as the ultimate goal of many game designers is to create a game that appeals to both audiences). It should also be noted that complexity implemented well can appeal to both sides, where as removing complexity will turn of the hardcore crowds.
As for adding talk options, i like the suggestion about gaining ability points the player can spend to get "perks". Say 600 points will buy you access to a high end slave market that sells monster girls. 100 points will get you a perk where you can convince girls better.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline letmein

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 07:04:06 PM »
Neat thought, but where would you get points from?
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 08:12:15 PM »
Neat thought, but where would you get points from?

Meeting objectives would be the obvious thing. Currently the rewards for meeting a mission are a bit meh: the slave girl is nice, but the money i usually have already, and the the items are usually to bland too be motivating.

If meeting mission targets was the only way to imrpove the PC, I'd take a lot more interest in them.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:33:59 PM by DocClox »

Offline letmein

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 08:51:50 PM »
Ah.  I suppose I should have thought of that.  I could see that working, since otherwise the mission system as it stands is pretty much a distraction, and not a "fun" part of the game.
Still lurking.

Offline Count Zero

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 12:52:21 PM »
Some audiences find depth only from complexity, these are usually hardcore gamers and they will generally stick to strategy games and such. Then there are the casual gamers who are the types of people that prefer good dialog and narrative to provide depth and won't generally find it in higher complexity.

It is alittle offtopic, but dividing the audience in this two groups isn't quite correct.
If the hardcore gamers would find depth only in complexity, and the casual gamers would search for good dialogues and try to avoid complexity, casual games like Moorhuhn (no complexity, no story) would aim at no audience and the hardcore rpg player wouldn't be annoyed about munchkins/powergamers who are roll-playing. Even so the hardcore rpg player is a dying species.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
Your right of course. Dividing groups like that into clear cut factions is only done to illustrate how different approaches may turn off certain types of people. I would fit into both of those categories, but the end conclusion that a game should strive to provide a balance where possible between the different game design methodologies is still relevant.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline Command

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 08:16:24 PM »
Here's a helpful idea for talk options have different conversations and reactions to the various talking options that are dependand of her stats.  Not like She refuses or a straight acceptance.  But something like you make a request for something and instead of the She refuses why not have a responce if she isn't interested will be, "She simply tries to ignore you and say not now" (But only in the brothel in the dungion she would then react more nervously or worried),  IF she dislikes you she could then simply threaten you or insult you,  If she hates you then have her call you a bastand and try to attack you (if she has those aggresive stat traites).  You can even have an event where a girl who hates you enough tries to kill a girl who is related to you that works in the same Brothel depending on the options you select you could save the related girl, she could end up dead, the dangerous girl could end up dead, or the both could survive but heavily injured and one has to end up being punished.

If the woman is fearful of you have her make responses as though she is terrified or various degrees of scared depending on how scared.  She could even try to shrink back and cower at certain responces. 

For raping if the girl is a massocsis she would probably enjoy it more and find torture better than girls who aren't so if a girls has that kind of title have her respond more positivly to torture and rape.

If a girl is mind fucked she would react alot more blankly toward sex and thus her reactions to those options would more likely be more subdued.

If she is broken have some sort of event that marks that like a small story that changes somewhat depending of her traits (Physical ones).  She would also likely respond to the stuff you say with the work master in them and also likely to be much more complient.

If the girl is a nymphomaniac have her sometimes act more agressivly to sex like she takes the lead in that act is you suggest it unless you want to force her to you dominant will.

Does this help with ideas for this.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »
For raping if the girl is a massocsis she would probably enjoy it more and find torture better than girls who aren't so if a girls has that kind of title have her respond more positivly to torture and rape.

Uhh....lets be clear here.  Masochists (in a sexual sense) like pain mixed with their pleasure.  There is nothing pleasurable about rape or torture.  Just because a girl likes to be hog-tied and hung up with a clothespin clipped to her clit and hot wax dripped on her tits before, during, or after sex does not mean she likes to be raped or tortured.  Even girls who have rape fantasies generally want them acted out in a consensual manner - they would not respond "positively" to actually being raped.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline letmein

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 09:03:04 PM »
A lot of this is actually implemented; I know that responses are based on at least the PC modifiers (PClove, PChate, PCfear).  I'm not sure if traits or other stats are considered, although I rather thought the idea has been brought up before and necno either did it, or put it in the TODO list.
Still lurking.

Offline Command

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 09:22:11 PM »
Letmen:  I'm not sure I found that part actually.  I found the talking results to be rather repedative dispite how the girls stats were.  I mean it would be interesting if your the one taking a girls virginity to have a short story depending how your taking it.

Zodiac44:  I understand your meaning I was mainly using it as a idea for having the Girls personlities affect their responses to you.  I guess I put the massosist example idea was a poor choice but varients for stuff like that would likely be more likely to grab a player.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »
I know what you were getting at - I'm fine with the idea in general, I just don't think there should be any positive reaction to raping or torturing a girl in the game, regardless of what traits she has.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline letmein

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »
The responses will change.

Still, the area could do with a little more "fluffing", which is planned.  I think Krayben is slowly warming up, and will eventually be trying to write lots and lots of events for various things.  Or at least, that's what *I'm* assuming he's getting up to, and if he fails I shall be most disappointed.   ;)
Still lurking.

Offline Command

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »
Ok I look forward to seenig that.

(I'm also agreeing with both previous posters)