Author Topic: Scripting engine question  (Read 20149 times)

Offline LordJerle

Re: Scripting engine question
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »
Dunno, all I know is he left this on the google wave on the 17th:
  Doc: annnnnd.... back into hospital in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....

Back as soon as I can guys :)

I encourage everybody to leave a get well card in the get well card thread.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 07:43:36 AM »
Yeah, a nasty great big abcess. They had to cut me open again to clean it out properly.

I'm out now, but going to take it a bit easy for a little bit.

Offline drake

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 12:46:04 PM »
Good luck on getting better.

Offline adrian24

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 09:18:57 AM »
Yeah, a nasty great big abcess. They had to cut me open again to clean it out properly.

I'm out now, but going to take it a bit easy for a little bit.

Mystery of why you got in hospital again - solved. And thank God you're O.K. now. Let's hope doctors did their job right this time and you don't have to go to hospital for the third time. Get well.  8)

Offline fixet

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »
but hopefully before Duke Nukem Forever :)
NOT QUITE, MOTHERFUCKERS!

ALWAYS BET ON DUKE

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 10:56:18 PM »
ALWAYS BET ON DUKE

3D Realms... Not so much.

Wish I could get a job circle jerking in an office (or whatever the hell they did) for a decade and not have to show anything for it.
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline fixet

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 09:01:08 AM »
did you miss pax or something?

also, 3d realms isn't working on the game, gearbox is

Offline Tweaker69

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 12:59:21 PM »
I hope you're still feeling well, Doc! Take care of the important things like staying healthy, and try to ignore the selfish pleas from the faceless masses. You're worth a Hell of a lot more than just your value at producing these fun games. Cheers!

did you miss pax or something?

also, 3d realms isn't working on the game, gearbox is

The point still stands, as it was 3D Realms who spent 13 years on it and still had fuck all to show for it. Until we all see an actual game, DNF will remain VaporWare.

And even then... Just how ground-breaking do you really think this novelty FPS is going to be? I'd suggest bracing for disappointment.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:03:10 PM by Tweaker69 »

Offline fixet

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
no, it doesn't stand, do you need everything spelled out for you?

2k sued 3d realms for failure to finish the game, and transferred the development to gearbox, which now showed the playable hands-on that looks awesome

and who said anything about breaking new ground? it's duke fucking nukem, I don't want it to be revolutionary or new, I want it to be duke nukem

Offline Lorde

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 04:37:25 PM »
no, it doesn't stand, do you need everything spelled out for you?

The point does stand. The point was 3d realms was filled with a ton of wankers.

Saying 3d Realms was sued by 2k and then development switched to gearbox just validates that point.

I would think, as an obvious Duke fan, you'd agree with that. 
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline fixet

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 05:05:11 PM »
I get what you're saying, but where does "Until we all see an actual game, DNF will remain VaporWare" fit in all that?
we did see the game

and I can't hold a grudge against 3d realms after all they have done
besides, they were funding the project out of their own pocket, it's not like they didn't care
they just got lost along the way

Offline Lorde

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 05:49:50 PM »
I get what you're saying, but where does "Until we all see an actual game, DNF will remain VaporWare" fit in all that?
we did see the game

Never said DNF was gonna be vaporware. Just argued 3dR was incompetent.

and I can't hold a grudge against 3d realms after all they have done
besides, they were funding the project out of their own pocket, it's not like they didn't care
they just got lost along the way

Yeah but at what point do you say "maybe we should release what we have and put the rest in a sequel"?

At least it would have gotten Take Two off their back. I mean, 5 million is a lot of fucking money to pay someone for something and get diddly in return. Not to mention the 12 mil they payed infogrames. Nor the public hissy fit 3DR had around 2003-4 when 2K wanted to know what the hell was up with production. Yelling at the people who lent you money, because they wanted something to show for their investment, is a good sign you don't have anything to show for their investment. 

Course, Gearbox has the torch now. So we know it will be both awesome and (more importantly) released.  :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:16:56 PM by Lorde »
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline fixet

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
I was responding to tweaker69 and his vaporware remark, it pretty much threw me off your post

as for 3d realms, from what I saw at pax and from what I remember from the past years, I doubt what they have now came from gearbox... at all
they probably just polished up the graphics, worked with voice actors, and spent most of the time on working things out for the consoles, before re-re-announcing the game
and, where did you get the 12 mil thing from? I know they (allegedly) asked for 5 million from take two, but had spent 20 million out of their own pocket, which is why take two had so much trouble with the lawsuit: they didn't fund the game

I think 3dr just wanted to make it more perfect than they could, which resulted in too much time going by, which resulted in their tech getting outdated, which fucked them up the ass
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:36:37 PM by fixet »

Offline Tweaker69

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 06:58:47 PM »
I was responding to tweaker69 and his vaporware remark, it pretty much threw me off your post

And if they don't release the full game by the release date, it will still be VaporWare. A demo is just a demo, though it's certainly a step in the right direction and gives a much better indication that the full product will eventually be released (Though not necessarily on time). Sorry that I got your panties all in a bunch, but that is just the way it is. It remains, by its very definition, VaporWare until it is released on or before its (latest in a long line of) announced release date. And before you start frothing at the mouth, I admit that at this time there is finally a significant ray of hope that it won't remain so.

Personally, I hope it will finally shed its status as a Comically Mythical Being. Even better... That it will actually be a fun and well-designed game worthy of carrying its own name.

Offline Lorde

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 07:14:53 PM »

and, where did you get the 12 mil thing from? I know they (allegedly) asked for 5 million from take two, but had spent 20 million out of their own pocket, which is why take two had so much trouble with the lawsuit: they didn't fund the game

Sorry, wasn't clear on who you where addressing.

Anyhow, need to edit my post. Should have said Take Two and not 2k.

Also, 12 mil was one of the numbers thrown around with this whole debacle. After googling the whole mess I see that 5 mil was indeed the sum Take Two invested and 12 mil was how much they spent to buy the publishing rights from Infogrames. And I also see that the lawsuit came after 3DR asked for more money to complete the game.
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)