devolution

Author Topic: New Event Submission/Discussion Thread (Unlocked, sorry bout that!)  (Read 43534 times)

Offline Jacko

Re: New Event Submission/Discussion Thread (Unlocked, sorry bout that!)
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2010, 02:51:29 AM »
Well I've decided to try my hand at scripting some events. I've looked at the scripts in game and it seems like some of the ideas I've come up with may not be doable in the present fashion. But I have a few questions for those who are in the know.

1. Can a girl have multiple scripts attached to her? How do you get them to trigger? Is there a master script somewhere that controls everything?

2. Is there a basic primer for this type of code writing? I see there are good explanations for each command in the script editor, but is there any kind of tutorial with a general flow? I think I have the patience for this but I'm missing the basic groundwork.

Thanks!

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2010, 02:35:49 AM »
Well I've decided to try my hand at scripting some events. I've looked at the scripts in game and it seems like some of the ideas I've come up with may not be doable in the present fashion. But I have a few questions for those who are in the know.

The scripting system needs a bit of work. I'm planning to make it use Lua, which should not only make the scripting easier, but also result in some documentation and examples. Just need to get this buildings mod out of the way first.

1. Can a girl have multiple scripts attached to her? How do you get them to trigger? Is there a master script somewhere that controls everything?

Yeah. Put a file called triggers.xml into a girl's folder alongside the pictures and add her triggers into that. It uses the same format as GlobalTriggers.xml which has some decent documentation in the comments at the end. (Although I've just noticed that in my test game instance Cammy is still using the non-xml trigger file which is slightly worrying...)

You'll probably find that there are still things you want to do that are difficult to set up. Suggestions on how to expand the trigger format are welcome. I have a few ideas of my own, but the more the merrier as they say...

2. Is there a basic primer for this type of code writing? I see there are good explanations for each command in the script editor, but is there any kind of tutorial with a general flow? I think I have the patience for this but I'm missing the basic groundwork.

Alas, not that I know of. Good luck!

[edit]

Fixed the quote tags  ::)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:09:49 PM by DocClox »

Offline Krayben

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »
Okay! After a loooooong absence, I have returned! I apologize to those that have missed me and wish to extend a heartfelt "FUUUUUUUCK YOU!" to those that didn't.  :D Kidding, guys. Yer all great. Sadly, I have nothing new to post but I wanted to let you know I haven't dropped off the face of the earth.