devolution

Author Topic: Expanding opperations to other cities  (Read 6241 times)

Offline Command

Expanding opperations to other cities
« on: November 05, 2009, 08:43:37 PM »
Here's a thought.  Why not have times where you get the option of expanding your buisness to other cities and not just this one.  Each city can be found after enough expiditions in the Caverns.  Since the Caverns lead to different worlds as well it would be good to take advantage of that little plot device and give you the ability to spread you influance in worlds very different from yours to give you more of a Don trying to become the Grandmaster of crime like feel.

Such as once a city path is located in the Caticomes you get the option of sending gangs to scout out the city and find a sutable place for a base of opperations.

Then you get the option of stating up opperations in that city as well. 

The cities can be very differend like one has a modern motif, another looks like it's from the time of the Civil wars, to even a space station.  You can aquire different weapon tech and advantages from each city that would give your over all buisness several benifits.

You can then create interesting events like instead of simply gangs in a space station you can also hire pirates to capture alien slaves which you could then sell them for a bigger profit on the other lower tech worlds or add them to the brothels. 

It would also give an intersting feel like your actually in a world.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Re: Expanding opperations to other cities
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 09:05:52 PM »
It is an interesting idea, but I think there is enough potential for expansion and conflict within the city we already have.  I'd like to see the catacombs fleshed out more, but adding new cities just doesn't feel...right to me, I guess.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline letmein

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:09:52 PM »
Ditto.  Along with zodiac's points, here's one more:  why?

Just from a pure game creation standpoint, there's no point in adding things that won't make the game better.  What would be the goal here?  How would this make things better?  If all that the different cities would do is make the "look" change, that's not a big deal at all.  In fact, it could be argued that it would be a detriment, since the current "feel" of the game is closely tied to the aesthetics of Crossgate (IMHO, anyhow).  I wouldn't want to change that.
Still lurking.

exodia91

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 09:21:59 PM »
would add a hugely pointless amount of work for little to no gain, plus we would have to completely rethink the point/future of the game.

Offline Command

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »
Your probably right it would likely be better if you use that function in a suqual (If that ever happens).

I got the idea after playing Godfather 2.  Since he's becomming the Don of a city why not have a yerning to become greater than what your father became and try to make his opperations even bigger.  That is sort of the idea I got.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 03:27:28 AM »
I was thinking of doing something along these lines. Only difference was that, rather than make it part of the game itself, I've been thinking of making it a mod. The player, having consolidated his hold on Crossgate is trying to get established in the port city of Abby's Prospect. But they do things a bit differently in 'Prospect and he may just have his work cut out for him. Basically, I'd theme the interface using the steampunk interface mod I wrote, and use that as the starting point for the story.

It won't be for a while though, since I need to code a bit of support into the game. I want to make user-defined screens and buttons possible for a start.

The cool thing is, once its all set up, anyone who wanted to could write a chapter of our hero's life.

Offline Command

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »
Like an expansion pack?

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:22:53 PM »
Yeah, that kind of thing. Same game, same girls, new setting, some rules mucked about with :)

With a few more modders, we could have an expansion pack for as many cities as there are in Mundiga. Assuming necno's OK with us creating cities there, of course.

But I need to do a bit of work first, in any case...

Offline Command

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »
If your making a port have something to do with pirates in it.  After all what's a crime lord going to do with a port besides pillaging and plundering durring that timeline, Drug traffaking durring that time no one even considered any sort of Drug to be harmful.

WHy not also have some sort of princess kidnapping thing as well where you can create a sort of sub plot that will take a certain number of turns to complete where you can get options that will result in different rewards and outcomes.  Like either enslave the princess and have a King angry at you or marry her and get some sort of bonus or other stuff.

If it's a port town the most profitable stuff will be at the port which could allow you to include more potenchial customers you can get the closer to the port your brothel is.  But it get's more expensive and harder to purchase brothels closer to the port.  (After all you have seamen spending months at sea not even seeing a woman so I think the odds are good that you will get a supply of customers)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 07:34:54 AM »
If your making a port have something to do with pirates in it.  After all what's a crime lord going to do with a port besides pillaging and plundering durring that timeline, Drug traffaking durring that time no one even considered any sort of Drug to be harmful.

The danger with pirates is that we'd get sea-goons. And once we have Seagoon, we'd have to have Bloodnok and Eccles, and then I'd spend the whole time making obscure references to a certain 1950s BBC radio comedy, and no good can come of that.

Seriously, I might back away from the port idea a little. That really demands a pirate themed UI, and I had a different direction in mind. See, Abby's Prospect used to be called Abyss' Prospect, and the bulk of the city's trade was with was Hell. That largely stopped just over  a hundred years ago. The demon cults were surpressed, and in an effort to keep them down, the new city governor encouraged the more science based immigrants to Mundiga to settle there, hoping that the natural antagonism of magic and science would help keep the hell portals closed.

But of course, its not going to be as simple as  that. Our whoremaster is going to get drawn into the conflict before the game is over. And female flesh will be only one of the prizes on offer.

So what I might do is move Abby's Prospect inland and leave the pirate mod for someone else. It's a great idea, but I don't think it's going to fit with what I have planned. Although the idea of making a pirate UI has a certain appeal, so I may come back to that if no one else wants to do it :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:06:15 AM by DocClox »

Offline Command

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »
Ok I mean a picture for an average customer day would probably look like one of those port scenes in Pirates of the Corribian when the ship arives at a pirate camp.

Who needs an average day like that.

Although an even for brawels in bars would be interesting.

BUt pulling it inland is probably mose sensable.

exodia91

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 12:37:52 AM »
if you're actually serious about this, I ask you move to the mod board, this is no longer relevant in new features

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 03:06:32 AM »
if you're actually serious about this, I ask you move to the mod board, this is no longer relevant in new features

Well, it's relevant to the extent that I need to code up some new features before any of this is possible, and some of those features could perhaps benefit from further discussion.

That said, I guess it can't hurt to start a thread in the modding section.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:57:48 AM by DocClox »

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:56:04 PM »
I did plan on towns being stored in modable files but decided it wasn't necessary. I have no problem with the other coders trying it though.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)