devolution

Author Topic: Image compression  (Read 9072 times)

Offline letmein

Re: Image compression
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 01:26:16 AM »
Isn't it 350 MB *before* unpacking?  It starts as a .rar or .7z, I think.
Still lurking.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 01:30:10 AM »
No, that's after unpacking, unless you have a later release than I do (15x8).
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 02:09:38 AM »
I don't know if some of the images have been compressed since the game first came out, but If you compress some of them any further you'll start to lose quality. If you have photoshop or something, you can open up the images go to file>Save for web
Here you can adjust the quality of your jpgs. (About 80% is good) Dagoth did this to some of the images WAY BACK when the game first appeared. Whether that's been a common theme recently or not, I don't know.
Might even help the game load the images faster.
I mainly did them as a batch using Photoshop's image processor script. In the Photoshop top menu, it's File->Scripts->Image Processor. You can set the compression level and have it resize down any overly large (height and/or width) images.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 11:29:38 AM »
Oh thanks, Dagoth. I'll have to look into that. Despite being useful for the game. I could certainly use it for other means.
Learned something new today.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline LordShame

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 02:21:18 PM »
The latest release of SMII is at 350 MB, though it's all in flash files.  I don't know what format(s) Flash uses internally, so it could be poor image compression which is to blame.  They certainly don't have enough girls in the game or images per girl to account for that space using jpg's.

I got the 2x14 version, which is about 280MB, and most pictures are jpgs and pngs compiled straight into the swf files and easily extractable in their original format.