Author Topic: A sugestion for script triggers.  (Read 7878 times)

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
A sugestion for script triggers.
« on: June 12, 2010, 08:55:06 PM »
Lua seems to be coming along nicely from what I've been reading in the developers board. And massive Kudo's to DocClox for hacking away at that.

So with that in mind, and hoping I haven't asked for this too late in it's development, I was wondering if the following 2 triggers could be implemented in scripting.

1. Trigger a girls script when conditions are met with another separate girl. Examples would be if girl A dies then girl B (insert scripted event here) Girl A gets a trait and girl B reacts with (again insert scripted event here) Hope I made that clear.

2. Have acquisition of a certain girl fire off a script associated with another girl.

Think this could lead to some interesting possibilities when the  new scripting engine is up and running.
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline Samu

Re: A sugestion for script triggers.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 11:36:40 PM »
Ineed it would be interesting, spetially when dealing with inter related girls (Girls who are friends/family of other girls or girls that belong tho the same series or ... or... you see my point xD)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 04:46:03 AM »
Lua seems to be coming along nicely from what I've been reading in the developers board. And massive Kudo's to DocClox for hacking away at that.

Thank you. I just hope I can nail down this crash problem :)

1. Trigger a girls script when conditions are met with another separate girl. Examples would be if girl A dies then girl B (insert scripted event here) Girl A gets a trait and girl B reacts with (again insert scripted event here) Hope I made that clear.

2. Have acquisition of a certain girl fire off a script associated with another girl.

How about we generalise that. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible to let a script add a second script to the script queue. So you could have a trigger when Girl A gets the trait (or any other condition for that matter) and then have the script queue one of Girl B's scripts.

After than it's just making sure that there are triggers got acquiring girls, and girls getting traits, which if we don't have them already, sounds eminently doable.

Alternatives would be to script Girl B's reactions from inside Girl A's script, which would work as long as you had a specific pair of girls in mind.
queue a script to run

Offline Lorde

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:08:32 AM »

How about we generalise that. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible to let a script add a second script to the script queue. So you could have a trigger when Girl A gets the trait (or any other condition for that matter) and then have the script queue one of Girl B's scripts.

After than it's just making sure that there are triggers got acquiring girls, and girls getting traits, which if we don't have them already, sounds eminently doable.

Alternatives would be to script Girl B's reactions from inside Girl A's script, which would work as long as you had a specific pair of girls in mind.
queue a script to run

Your first idea for implementation seems spot on to what I was suggesting.  Being able to fire off other girls scripts from within Girl A's script would work out perfectly. And would probably be far more open ended in the long run. Since the script writer can pretty much name the condition, developers don't have to worry about programing every possible trigger. (Which of course won't happen, they'll always be someone wanting something you never would have thought of.  :D )

Only caveat would be that the engine would need to pay attention to the girls status. Which I think it's current implementation does already. But not with many options.

* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline fires_flair

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 04:02:39 PM »
hey that would be a great way to implement lesbian actions, and group events, and such. 

so good luck fixing/remaking the scripting system DocClox

Offline Samu

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »
a good way to start would be to overhaul the "who" parameter, to be able to put it like this:
Code: [Select]
  <Trigger    Type        = "Stat"
         Stat        = "Mana"
         who        =  "name of girl"
         Threshold    = "100"
         Chance        = "50%"
         File        = "StatExample2.script"
         OnceOnly    = "True"
  />
where "name of girl" is the name of the folder of the other girl whose stat is to be checked.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 05:52:29 PM »
Well, the idea is that you can give each girl her own triggers.xml file with triggers specific to her.

It means we can keep the global trigger file for game wide events, while freeing girl designers to write their own events without worrying about how they affect the rest of the game. Or that's the plan, anyway... :)

Offline Lorde

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »
I think your first idea was the best Doc. The problem with triggers is that you have to program new ones whenever someone comes up with a good idea. By calling separate scripts from a main script that watches over the girl it's associated with, users can effectively make their own triggers.

Of course this is coming from someone who has little to no clue as to what kind of overhead Having a ton of always on scripts (well mostly on) running in the background would cause. 

* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 07:33:34 PM »
I think your first idea was the best Doc. The problem with triggers is that you have to program new ones whenever someone comes up with a good idea.

Well, yeah. By triggers we generally something that triggers on a general class of event. So Girl Gains Trait, or Brothel Gains Girl, for instance.

Once the condition is detected, the game looks to see if anyone or anything has an interest in the happening.

It's still not a trivial task to get all the right triggers in place, but if we can make them general enough, we shouldn't have to add too many new ones as time goes by.

Offline Lorde

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
Oh ok so I just misread what ya said, or more likely, just didn't grasp it the first time.  :D

Sorry about that.
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 04:22:55 AM »
It's ok - I forget sometimes that not everyone spends all their time immersed in this stuff :)

Offline Lorde

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »
New suggestion ( I threatened this in the slave vs free girls thread)

Why not have the ability to put girls in groups so you can effect all girls in that group at once if a particular trigger|condition is made. 

Random example: The girls from Azumanga Dao. They're a close nit group of friends so say if one dies, the rest would Take a hit to happiness. Instead of scripting each girl individually to react this way, they could be associated with a group, so only one script would have to be written for that group. Individual reactions (scripts) could be called from the group script.

Groups would allow the script to be as broad (slaves and free girls group for example) or as narrow (probably 3 or more girls. 1 or 2 makes no sense for a group.) as the scripter wanted.
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 01:56:46 PM »
Good use for a user defined trait. Create an AzumangaGirl trait, and when one of them dies, if you can catch the event, you can find the other girls with the same trait and modify their stats accordingly.

Or at least you will once I implement a few bits and bobs

Offline Lorde

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »
That would be perfect.  Hell I am already thinking of ways to use Traits as flags for events. 

Implementing it that way might require "hidden" traits so girls status screens aren't filled with Dead Friend, More dead friends, Broke his promise, Beaten like a red headed step child, too tough for tears now, Trait #5, a, b (you can tell the scripter was getting tired and lazy at the end there) and the like.
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline fires_flair

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 04:49:42 PM »
i think it would be cool to have some ability to have events with out specific girls, where it's a girl with a trait or something that triggers the event (like having a girl who loves you making a movie), and depending on the choice be able to draw on another random girl (then the event would require 2+ girls to trigger).
in my uneducated brain this could work by having job triggers/script, in addition to girls. though that might be way to complicated.