devolution

Author Topic: Please add Tiredness to the Girl Management screen  (Read 8784 times)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Re: Please add Tiredness to the Girl Management screen
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »
I shall consult the Great God Google tomorrow morning.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 06:02:29 PM »
Here a good sdl tutorial that I have looked over and been meaning to actually go over it depth to learn sdl.

http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
OK, thanks. That's helpful.

Not as complicated as I'd worried that it might be, but then it's still not going to be easy.

Maybe I should just forget about making another 1.29.4 release and start the final merge with 1.30.

[edit]

Of course there are other options. We could use a third party GUI package. Agar, for instance is free, BSD licenced, and looks pretty slick. Downside is we'd need to rewrite pretty much everything to use it, and that could take quite a while.

Or we could just forget the whole thing, and go back to ragged lines of proportional text
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:13:46 PM by DocClox »

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »
For now lets stick with ragged lines of proportional text and work on the more important matters.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »
For now lets stick with ragged lines of proportional text and work on the more important matters.

I suppose. I was just thinking, we could render the text onto its own surface, and then blit it on to the table using a rectangle sized for the field. Easiest way is probably to specify a table header with percentage values for each column. Then we have text that will truncate properly and won't run off the end of the table. The tables we have don't do that, and someone should really log a bug about that.

If we do that, we can use the scrolling stuff necno already wrote, or at least with fairly little modification.

But maybe you're right. Time I was in bed anyway.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 04:29:32 AM »
Right. I've unpicked the changes that render the lists and the player screen in fixed width font, and I've taken the financial report stuff out of the player screen. It doesn't work yet and there's no way anyone was going to be able to read it without a monospaced font.

I think I've also figured out why my previous attemtps at merging having worked so well. I don't suppose you have the revision number of the last time you did a merge by any chance?

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 09:31:10 AM »
170 I think. Let me check. Yeah 170 for the branch, and 171 for the trunk on the most recent merge.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:33:06 AM by delta224 »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »
OK. I'll try and merge in changes from 172 onwards then

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 10:18:03 AM »
Good luck, I will continue working on the jobs.

Offline fires_flair

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »
maybe align it to the right, if it's not a chalange, then at least everything lines up. I don't know how difficult this will be, but what about allowing the characters to have two lines, so that one name is on one, the other on the next (or is that in the spread sheet catigory?)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2009, 12:17:48 AM »
The trouble with right-alignment is we can only sanely do that against a character position. And without a monospaced font, the right borders would still be ragged, even though the lines were the same lenght.

That said, we could probably do something with evaluating the rendered length of text strings in pixels and truncating the string until it fit. But then I'd still end up blitting the text elements onto the line - so easier to just truncate them as part of the blit, really.