Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821658 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #915 on: July 13, 2013, 12:17:34 PM »
I suddenly remembered one more thing about WM. Either it's feature of the engine, or misuse of a random number generator, but if you create a random girl with, for example, 1% chance of all ingame traits, then there will be a lot of girls with a huge number of traits.
If we will see the same picture, we'll have to limit the maximum number of traits for random girls.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #916 on: July 13, 2013, 12:20:21 PM »
I suddenly remembered one more thing about WM. Either it's feature of the engine, or misuse of a random number generator, but if you create a random girl with, for example, 1% chance of all ingame traits, then there will be a lot of girls with a huge number of traits.
If we will see the same picture, we'll have to limit the maximum number of traits for random girls.

We have an different traits system so we might not get this issue. Many traits are blocked by previously enabled traits and absolute blocks.
Like what we're doing?

Offline iammewt

« Reply #917 on: July 13, 2013, 07:08:19 PM »
How and where can I get play teh current version of PyTFall, Xela? Many thanks in advance.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #918 on: July 14, 2013, 03:17:54 AM »
How and where can I get play teh current version of PyTFall, Xela? Many thanks in advance.

We're not at a point where playable version is available. You'll have to wait.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #919 on: July 14, 2013, 06:14:37 AM »
They also have an awesome way of constructing battle backgrounds from two pictures (background and floor).
Unfornutally, most of them have  640 × 320 resolution at best.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #920 on: July 15, 2013, 11:17:43 AM »
Xela, what do you think about the idea of limited resources, like food in Old Huntsman's game, during exploration?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #921 on: July 15, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »
Xela, what do you think about the idea of limited resources, like food in Old Huntsman's game, during exploration?

I didn't play his first game for more than 20 mins and exploration was one of the things I hated the most, but not really remembering how resources worked there, can't say for sure.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #922 on: July 15, 2013, 01:57:56 PM »
Well, in his game you can buy some provisions before leaving the city. During the exploration MC hunger is gradually increases, if you won't eat, s/he will die eventually.
You also could eat captures girls there, but that's an overkill in our case, we will have a lot of nonhumanoid mobs if we'll make it anyway. Same could be done for water (not necessarily in the forest, a desert or a sea, for example). Leaving everything else aside, what do you thing about such system?

Besides, since you hated such exploration system, I guess we should use one of BEs as base for EE (exploration engine)?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:59:32 PM by DarkTl »

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #923 on: July 15, 2013, 02:56:03 PM »
To be honest, I don't think it's a fun mechanic. To make food fun, you would have to add fun ways to find food during your travels. This works to some extent in Skyrim, because hunting there is quite fun, but even then it's often tiresome. I have no idea how it could work in a game like this. Eating captured girls?!? I'm not even going to comment that.  :-X

Offline Pashax2

« Reply #924 on: July 15, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »
Just chiming in on the hunger thing - it doesn't sound like much fun, and that strikes me as a problem. If you're considering adding a mechanic that doesn't make the game more fun for the player, then you probably need something special in the way of justification for it.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #925 on: July 16, 2013, 07:42:42 AM »
Eating captured girls?!? I'm not even going to comment that.  :-X
We are talking about the world after some global catastrophe, those girls are girls only in appearance, in terms of mind they are beasts. Still unpleasant, of course.
On the other hand, in Jack-o-nine-tails you can do about the same with normal girls, ie sell them for food. I guess Old Huntsman just love such things.

Anyway, like I said, we will have a lot of nonhumanoid mobs.

As for food system, I thought about quest line or skill tree teaching MC how to obtain food from special types of mobs after fighting them, ie monster birds, beasts, etc., and obviously not undead or humanoids.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #926 on: July 16, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »
We are talking about the world after some global catastrophe, those girls are girls only in appearance, in terms of mind they are beasts. Still unpleasant, of course.
On the other hand, in Jack-o-nine-tails you can do about the same with normal girls, ie sell them for food. I guess Old Huntsman just love such things.

Anyway, like I said, we will have a lot of nonhumanoid mobs.

As for food system, I thought about quest line or skill tree teaching MC how to obtain food from special types of mobs after fighting them, ie monster birds, beasts, etc., and obviously not undead or humanoids.

Maybe we can add some form of expeditions in distant future that might rely on food supply and will last days or even weeks. For now I see exploration as a much simpler system built on backgrounds with logic running behind those backgrounds. Player has to defeat a number of enemies or a boss to "clear the area". Past that point, players gets to fight in that area only if he so desires and can proceed to next area/areas. We can have villages or camps in between, quests that activate new markers on backgrounds and so on. Player only spends AP on fighting or interacting with environment but NEVER during the traveling itself.

That's how I see our first version in the forest, we can have many more types in the future but for now, it seems like a decent and interesting concept with a lot of possibilities and options while not being to difficult to program.

I am working on a slide out frame that will facilitate girl control (first part of TODO list, I don't have much time but there is some slow progress).

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #927 on: July 16, 2013, 10:40:50 AM »
I see exploration as a much simpler system built on backgrounds with logic running behind those backgrounds.
You said yourself that you hated exploration system in OH's game, and now you describe the same one  :D

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #928 on: July 16, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »
You said yourself that you hated exploration system in OH's game, and now you describe the same one  :D

LoL Really?

I've also said I played the game for 20 mins so maybe I didn't give it a shot, but I recall some crappy fog system that messed up directions, need to rest, some ugly, stupid bear that kept killing me, loosing AP or some equivalent of AP during traveling, not battle/interactions so the system I described is different from the one I remember in that game.

I want battles easier, more numerous, easier to find, with some events and interactions on background instead sidescreen (we could still use some transparent sidescreen for info). It is the concept itself that's different, I want this system for 1.0 to be like a sideshow: easy, accessible and simple. In Old Huntsmans game, it was one of the main game elements (Hunting) while in PyTFall 1.0 it will be more line a distraction and introduction to combat that will play larger role in the future.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #929 on: July 16, 2013, 01:01:10 PM »
stupid bear that kept killing me
Lol  :D
Yeah, you need advanced equipment to kill the bear, or you have to avoid to go too deep. I guess it's a simple script rather than BE.

some crappy fog system that messed up directions
Ah yes, the fog. Nope, it doesn't mess up directions, more like randomise distance traveled. That's actually could be used to some degree in the forest, since MC is not a forest's inhabitant, and even if he has rmg forest's inhabitants in the party, they were captured and lived in the city for too long, so they cannot help, considerably at least.

need to rest
Well, rest is a good way to restore AP to me anyway.

loosing AP or some equivalent of AP during traveling
That's why I proposed food/water/whatever to loose instead of AP during traveling. As long as you keep fighting, you're out of danger. But if you prefer to avoid fights, run from battles (I guess we'll have "run" option in BE?) and so on, be sure to buy something eatable before leaving the city.