Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821212 times)

Offline CherryWood

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #1515 on: January 27, 2014, 06:10:17 PM »
Didn't you post links to all pics an hour go??? Let me know when you decide on the rest.
Ok, its done and uploaded to DB.
Sorry, it was little more work than I thought, because most of the pics were in 4:3 ratio while we need 16:10. But there shouldn't be any easily noticeable distortion now, like there were before in out beachdate example.
It turned out much better than I expected, because now we can actually go to the palms or to the cliffs from the original picture  :) . But I still can't find any suitable interior...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #1516 on: January 27, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »
Ok, its done and uploaded to DB.
Sorry, it was little more work than I thought, because most of the pics were in 4:3 ratio while we need 16:10. But there shouldn't be any easily noticeable distortion now, like there were before in out beachdate example.
It turned out much better than I expected, because now we can actually go to the palms or to the cliffs from the original picture  :) . But I still can't find any suitable interior...

Great, thanks! I'll take a look at it if I get the chance tomorrow.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1517 on: January 28, 2014, 07:01:31 AM »
If I made only small changes (like adding a few lines somewhere, improve picture, create another battle animation) should I send them, or wait until something bigger?
I'm still not exactly sure how repository works... I don't want to break something

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1518 on: January 28, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »
If I made only small changes (like adding a few lines somewhere, improve picture, create another battle animation) should I send them, or wait until something bigger?
I'm still not exactly sure how repository works... I don't want to break something

You should upload stuff as soon as you're done with it (often even if it's something small). You'll have more trouble than I would if your new code cannot be auto-merged after a new pull (download).

PS: This is hopefully the last time you'll ever have to add attacks in more than one place. From programming viewpoint it's absurd and it's my mistake. I'll add one dict that will be used in the whole game.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1519 on: January 28, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »
Ok.
I uploaded tailor npc images and placed her in backroom of our store (Nothing is actually happening here). I will have few busy days now, so I made a proper event later.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1520 on: January 28, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »
Ok.
I uploaded tailor npc images and placed her in backroom of our store (Nothing is actually happening here). I will have few busy days now, so I made a proper event later.

Got your code, well done on the store front!
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1521 on: January 29, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »
create another battle animation

Completely forgot that I've promised to make registering this with the game easier...

Pushed to SF:

- Fixed bad girlsmeets jump
- Horrid if forks for the BE engine have been replaced with proper code
- Removed "globals" for init
- Slightly corrected fly-spells
- Test of grid picture combat (however incomplete) is now working

Naming rules for New attacks and magic:

Library.Skills.MarsFlameSniper = MagicFighterAttackSkill("Mars Flame Sniper"

MarsFlameSniper this is the important bit. In girls/mobs/arena fighters files, this skill must be the same as here OR same with any amount of spaces, so "Mars Flame Sniper" is ok, "Mars FlameSniper" is also ok, "Mars - FlameSniper" is NOT. That is also how the skill will be displayed in the game.

"Mars Flame Sniper" This is how the skill will be called in Menu of BE, there are no rules here.

Skills must be registered once, in the BE (and obviously added to girls/monsters/fighters files), it is no longer necessary to place them anywhere else, the horrible 60 lines long if forks has been replaced with three lines of code :)

so this:
Code: [Select]
Library.Skills.SwordAttack = AttackSkill(command=[('Attack', -1)], multiplier=1.2, sfx="content/sfx/sound/be/sword.wav")is enough.

PS: To take a look at tiled pic prototype with moving around from the BE discussion thread, run this command in console from mainscreen: pytfall.arena.test()
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:30:51 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1522 on: January 29, 2014, 09:44:38 AM »
good news
-----------
Is there a way to start event right after selecting a girl from meet girls selection, instead of gm menu with interactions that normally appear?
I know that were adding something into girlmeets to support custom labels, but I forget what that was.

I'm trying to figure out good place from where to start girlpack dependent events.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1523 on: January 29, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »
"MarsFlameSniper"? Are we gonna use custom skills for various characters? Like Byakugan buff for Hinata or something?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1524 on: January 29, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »
Is there a way to start event right after selecting a girl from meet girls selection, instead of gm menu with interactions that normally appear?
I know that were adding something into girlmeets to support custom labels, but I forget what that was.

I'm trying to figure out good place from where to start girlpack dependent events.

Why instead of the menu? I was planning to make the menu customizable as well but not for the Alpha.

What we were talking about were custom girlsmeets for unique girls. Basically just create a file called: "hinata girlsmeets.rpy" in directory with the pics (or any directory, I just think that is an appropriate place). Then inside the file create a label (for example):

label gm_interact_hire_Hinata:
    define h = Character('Hinata', color=blue)
    hinata = char["Hinata"]
    if hinata.disposition > 500:
        h "Ok, I don't mind working for you!"

Remember that you can just use names and there is no real need to check for traits since the character is already known. Game will know if personal label exists, otherwise default will be used. _Hinata should be id of the girl as it is used in the data.xml file.

"MarsFlameSniper"? Are we gonna use custom skills for various characters? Like Byakugan buff for Hinata or something?

We could, CW made that skill (in case you haven't seen it yet). Bright bow appears over Mars, she shouts something like FIIIRE ARRRO or FIIIRE SNIPA with Japanese accent, huge pic of her with flaming hand looking like a bow/arrow appears over the whole screen, then the fire flies towards the enemy and another animation is triggered when it hits.

There is a simplified version other characters can use too.

Stuff like that has huge potential for personal quests and events.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1525 on: January 29, 2014, 10:57:11 AM »
Nice, I could use it for some characters that have omgwtf attacks, like Ar Tonelico song magic.

Finished with Tekken, doing Blazblue pack now. I'm planning to deal with all those fighting series that have been used as crossovers in Queen's Blade (Blazblue,  Guilty Gear,  Soul Calibur, DoA + 3-4 less known games), then will create unique characters from dragon quest in addition to already created random ones, then will convert those my packs from wm ex that haven't been converted yet. After that probably Touhou again. I think it will take all the time before the alpha, if not beta in case of Touhou.

As for custom skills, I'll wait for more stable BE for a start, since I already saw you forced Cherry to add attacks in more than one place  :)

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1526 on: January 29, 2014, 11:53:21 AM »
Why instead of the menu? I was planning to make the menu customizable as well but not for the Alpha.
I'm thinking of making some girl recruitable through event/small quest - something that works like Tifa quest. And placing beginning of that in random city event feels not very practical and a bit of forced to me. I believe selecting a girl in "meet girls" would be more natural start.

==============
Why they draw the pics so cute?? I have like 5000 images to tag for just 2 girlpacks, which is totally exhausting, but it's so hard to force myself to throw away some... 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:01:34 PM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1527 on: January 29, 2014, 11:54:30 AM »
Pushed a really small update that might help you with BE animations...

good news

When/if you make animations for BE, there might be ways to make your task easier.

1) You'll find a LOT of images like this one in RPG Maker and other games:

Renpy has a function to automatically load them into the game:

image fireball = anim.Filmstrip('path to image', (192, 192), (5, 3), 0.1, loop=false)
Check documentation for parameters description.

2) We have an animations folder in content/gfx, whatever files you put there will be automatically animated by a custom class. Name of the folder can be used as a name of the image.

So for example, creating a folder called Whirlwind and throwing all of the files in is about the same as:

image Whirlwind:
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_1.png"
        pause 0.06         
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_2.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_3.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_4.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_5.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_6.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_7.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_8.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_9.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_10.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_8.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_9.png"
        pause 0.06
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_10.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_11.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_12.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_13.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_14.png"
        pause 0.06   
        "content/gfx/be/Windwhirl_15.png"

Default pause is actually 0.25 so in order to get the same image, you have to name the folder Windwhirl 0.06, spaces are NOT allowed other than to define the pause. Files do not have to be named 1,2,3 as in my animations, your filenames would work as long as they can be logically sorted in correct order.

3) There are sites that will help you to rip animated GIF files into separate .png/.gif images, just google to find the one you like. There are many .gif animations that could be used as images or even battle sprites.

====
This is it I guess. Nothing will help you with advanced animations like your flame/ice arrows, those you can only do manually, but simpler stuff can be done easier than writing the name of every file and pause.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1528 on: January 29, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »
Nice, I could use it for some characters that have omgwtf attacks, like Ar Tonelico song magic.

I was thinking more along the lines of Rukia having "charm" skill with the masturbation animation I once left instead of a brothel pic :)

Joking aside, as I've said, content makes a game like this, mech is secondary.

Finished with Tekken, doing Blazblue pack now. I'm planning to deal with all those fighting series that have been used as crossovers in Queen's Blade (Blazblue,  Guilty Gear,  Soul Calibur, DoA + 3-4 less known games), then will create unique characters from dragon quest in addition to already created random ones, then will convert those my packs from wm ex that haven't been converted yet. After that probably Touhou again. I think it will take all the time before the alpha, if not beta in case of Touhou.

Do we actually need so many?

As for custom skills, I'll wait for more stable BE for a start, since I already saw you forced Cherry to add attacks in more than one place  :)

Please read my two previous posts.

============================
I'm thinking of making some girl recruitable through event/small quest - something that works like Tifa quest. And placing beginning of that in random city event feels not very practical and a bit of forced to me. I believe selecting a girl in "meet girls" would be more natural start.

Well, you can already write custom replies, if you want, I might be able to throw in a custom meeting label as well (I need to check the code). Event manager will have to be improved but it's also a good option.

Why they draw the pics so cute?? I have like 5000 images to tag for just 2 girlpacks, which is totally exhausting, but it's so hard to force myself to throw away some...

Well, the cuter the better, we don't need that many girls for the Alpha as well, especially since game allows random girls.

I'll see if I can add allowing multiple data.xml files, we've been talking about that forever and I now have better coding skillz...
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1529 on: January 29, 2014, 12:42:45 PM »
Well, you can already write custom replies, if you want, I might be able to throw in a custom meeting label as well (I need to check the code). Event manager will have to be improved but it's also a good option.
I was wondering if I can:
1. create a girl with her location=city in data.xml so she will appear in girlsmeet
2. right away, or after some condition (like disposition>200) jump to a custom label instead of gm menu
3. in custom label change her location to something made up (location=in_quest_02) so she will not appear anywhere until it's changed again