Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821544 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #1725 on: February 05, 2014, 06:59:16 AM »
Pretty sure we won't see them again, at least as a part of dev group.

Oki, I'll wait till this weekend and then remove everyone who isn't active, archiving their folders.

In Witcher humans win because they breed much more often. Furthermore, elven women there can (and want to) do it much more often with humans as well (it has something to do with hormones in human body). Talk about fanservice, huh?  :)

I think that the map is great and has great story/quest/events potential.

Clarify this question, please.

Transitions between screens. Like when you enter main screen, it turns the picture into pixels. Sometimes it fades, sometimes it dissolves. Sometimes it kinda zooms in or out like on the map. There will be an option to turn that off for slower machines but I wanted to know if you had any preferences.

I'm not really a fan of elves. But I must admit that it looks good, especially that arena. It's hard to find anything from this perspective...
I was looking for many hours but only other city pics with arena I found is this one:

Yeah, this city is really good too but it a tag to dark for the city map. It already has a beach on the other hand. It will only matter when we start writing something story related...

So what I currently like the most is that "pixelate" on main creen, and definitely not "with irisin" because it's soooo slow right now.
"Fade" is interesting, but a little too much aggressive to my taste, when the first screen disappear instantly. But if the first screen (buttons and such) could dissolve first, it may look good in girl screens. (if it's fast  :) )
Classic dissolve usually ok
And if you want to set something new... no idea

Ok, noted, speed should be taken into account as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1726 on: February 05, 2014, 07:26:45 AM »
I think that the map is great and has great story/quest/events potential.
Yup, it would be interesting to have more than one city in the game. We also could move 80-90% of non human characters there.

Transitions between screens. Like when you enter main screen, it turns the picture into pixels. Sometimes it fades, sometimes it dissolves. Sometimes it kinda zooms in or out like on the map. There will be an option to turn that off for slower machines but I wanted to know if you had any preferences.
I'll take a look at it again when I'll return home. For now I can say that I agree with Cherry about speed.
Maybe we do need long animated transitions here and there when the game is loading something big, so it won't be instant anyway. Like when you select another brothel or even a city.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1727 on: February 05, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
Yup, it would be interesting to have more than one city in the game. We also could move 80-90% of non human characters there.

Yeap, I like CW's pick for the main city, it has larger scale and potential. Elven one for the second city in the future. Other option is to go with something drawn in cartographer:

http://www.fantasticmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/townpackunlabelled.jpg

I love our current map as well but the damn palace is covering like 60% of the map. I'll load CWs map in and reposition markers in xml.

I'll take a look at it again when I'll return home. For now I can say that I agree with Cherry about speed.
Maybe we do need long animated transitions here and there when the game is loading something big, so it won't be instant anyway. Like when you select another brothel or even a city.

Oki
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1728 on: February 05, 2014, 09:06:43 AM »
Ok, I have to say that I dislike that "pixelate" transition when you close girls menu and return to brothel main screen, it kinda annoys me  :)
I'd prefer that simple dark fading like when you go to girls menu from general brothel menu.
That effect when you go to dark forest (or out of it) will be ok if it will be faster.

So we probably need settings menu for transitions effects, since it's a subjective thing.

If you want our opinion about other effects that renpy has, you could make a quick demo and upload it somewhere.

I added luck, charisma and elements to mobs json, and fixed one bug there (Assassin had Amazon Archer battle sprite  :D ). And finished another girl from Blazblue. I wonder what I should do next, besides my work on pack.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:08:21 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1729 on: February 05, 2014, 09:54:55 AM »
Ok, I have to say that I dislike that "pixelate" transition when you close girls menu and return to brothel main screen, it kinda annoys me  :)
I'd prefer that simple dark fading like when you go to girls menu from general brothel menu.
That effect when you go to dark forest (or out of it) will be ok if it will be faster.

So we probably need settings menu for transitions effects, since it's a subjective thing.

If you want our opinion about other effects that renpy has, you could make a quick demo and upload it somewhere.

I added luck, charisma and elements to mobs json, and fixed one bug there (Assassin had Amazon Archer battle sprite  :D ). And finished another girl from Blazblue. I wonder what I should do next, besides my work on pack.

Wtf happened? I posted reply to this already and now it's gone???

====
I am not going to allow choosing transitions, there are limits to what should be customizable in the menus. I'll try to put an option to turn them off all together. There are a bunch of demoes in Tutorial and we can make the dark forest effect faster but I kinda like it's current speed. Ok, at least I know that you like dissolve/fade effect and dislike pixellate and CW prefers pixellate to dissolve :) Not sure what to do with that.

I've put in a new map and restore calendar + updated it's class. For now it reports to tooltip of main screen. Gonna push because there isn't going to be anything significant until weekend.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1730 on: February 06, 2014, 02:01:02 AM »
Can't you make a json or xml settings file in renpy for deep customising, including transitions?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1731 on: February 06, 2014, 11:22:36 AM »
Can't you make a json or xml settings file in renpy for deep customising, including transitions?

Sure... but I'll rather get alignment working in battle-engine, more fun (и больше толку :) ). We "can" do quite a lot that we are not going to do for the Alpha and prolly not ever, I try to choose best reward/time spent objectives if I can.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1732 on: February 06, 2014, 02:13:39 PM »
Another day, another girl  :)
I'll probably write a guide for packs making tomorrow in addition to my work on packs. Also, I would appreciate a guide for quest/custom meeting creation. At least post alpha, if you don't have time for that now.

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1733 on: February 06, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »
I'll never understood how can you manage to create a girl in just a day...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:16:38 PM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1734 on: February 06, 2014, 03:31:04 PM »
Another day, another girl  :)
I'll probably write a guide for packs making tomorrow in addition to my work on packs. Also, I would appreciate a guide for quest/custom meeting creation. At least post alpha, if you don't have time for that now.

I'll see what I can do, we should prolly make one anyway.

Quantity vs quality. Your packs are better as you search for the best out of thousands of images and tag them really carefully but since we are not yet using full potential of our tagging system, it doesn't really show. It's basically difference between making and converting, I've hooked up crazies packs couple of days ago so I've basically added 800 - 1000 girls to the game, but they will never show in the correct outfits in the locations, never have as much events during jobs, never respond with correct pics to moodswings after we add those checks.
Like what we're doing?

Offline BlackWolf Inc.

« Reply #1735 on: February 06, 2014, 11:46:38 PM »
I've been thinking, would it be more practical to use YAML instead of XML seeing as it's simpler to write stuff in?
Don't look at me like that! I found 'em that way....

Now no-one else has to die...
unless I think of another reason.

If found, please return to Miss Y. Rhul.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1736 on: February 07, 2014, 12:20:48 AM »
Depending on a girl. One thing is Touhou, where almost every character has 25000+ pics on pixiv alone, not to mention other sources. Another thing is Blazblue which I'm making now, where even popular characters don't have more than 2000 pics, maybe 10-20 more if you look in every corner of internet.

That's why I postponed Touhou for now until I'll make all other packs that I want in the game.

Also, I usually have at least 5 free hours per day at work  :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:26:10 AM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1737 on: February 07, 2014, 04:16:56 AM »
Ok, I have questions now as well.

We do not need folder field in xmls anymore, or it would be better to keep it for compatibility if nothing else?

Do we have any other optional fields besides fullname and nickname? I mean fields that may be missing in xml, and the game still won't have any errors.
I guess trait and absolute_block trait fields are not mandatory, for example.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1738 on: February 07, 2014, 05:49:03 AM »
I've been thinking, would it be more practical to use YAML instead of XML seeing as it's simpler to write stuff in?

From development perspective, Json would be more practical. I don't know if there are any decent converters, I need to look into that. For now, xml does not mess us up to badly so I see no reason to invest time into rooting it out. If we find a converter, we can either switch the whole game to Json or simply allow both formats and ask everyone to add new content in a new format.

We do not need folder field in xmls anymore, or it would be better to keep it for compatibility if nothing else?

We will never need it, Alkion does but I do not remember the reason why.

Do we have any other optional fields besides fullname and nickname? I mean fields that may be missing in xml, and the game still won't have any errors.
I guess trait and absolute_block trait fields are not mandatory, for example.

Are there actually fields that are absolutely required? I never tested this thing, sorry :( Other than id, you might not have to put anything in...

That said, a good design for the girl to take her place in the game is very important...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1739 on: February 07, 2014, 06:03:14 AM »
I'll test it then. It's just I wonder what will happen if a girl doesn't have description (probably nothing, but who knows), or occupation (pretty sure we need it), or location (where she will be then?), or status (will hse be slave or free?), or stats (will they be 0 then?).
While our girls obviously will have these fields, it's kinda useful information for a guide.

I guess we need default settings for all fields, so if any major field is missing, it won't be a problem.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:05:07 AM by DarkTl »